Random pic thread.

IMG_20170319_193812751_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Restoring more old antique panels tonight
d1d2a59b9b0f4c4afa575cebbbb126a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

^^^That one is obviously a bit more sketchy, but it always blows my mind when I see people in states where tandem towing is legal. I have a buddy in ND that hooks up his 30ish ft camper to his 2006 350 crew cab, and hooks up his 25ish ft boat to his camper and heads out for the weekend.

^^^That one is obviously a bit more sketchy, but it always blows my mind when I see people in states where tandem towing is legal. I have a buddy in ND that hooks up his 30ish ft camper to his 2006 350 crew cab, and hooks up his 25ish ft boat to his camper and heads out for the weekend.

I'd like to see him back it down the boat ramp :D

I guess 15 years ain't bad for a battery (Date on bottom one is Jan 2001). And 15 years of progress has taken an Optima 34/78 redtop from 1050 amps and 56 amp hours, down to 1000 amps and 50 amp hours, all within the same package. And probably about $100 more expensive. Hopefully I get 15 years out of this one too.
20170322_134547.jpg

@jeepinmatt do the battery specs come from the same rating? (I.E. C-10, C-20, etc)

I just ask because for most deep cycle or hybrid batteries, there are several CCA and aH ratings even for the same model battery, dependent on the charge rating.

@jeepinmatt do the battery specs come from the same rating? (I.E. C-10, C-20, etc)

I just ask because for most deep cycle or hybrid batteries, there are several CCA and aH ratings even for the same model battery, dependent on the charge rating.
I had no idea, but it looks like Optima only makes one group 34/78 red top (and it's the highest amperage Red Top they make), and both my old and new are rated on the C-20 spec (which I didn't even know existed until you asked this question :D).
Year 2001 2016
Model 34/78 34/78
CA 1050 1000
CCA 830 800
AH 56 50
ResCap 112 100
Cost ~$150 $200

I guess cheapening and outsourcing to China has affected everything, even overpriced batteries.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a weird specification; its how many aH or CCA the battery would have after charging for 20 hours, versus 10 hours.

I'm used to dealing with C-100 specs for telecom stations in my line of work.

One would think that a battery would have the same profile once its "fully charged"... but the time taken to go through a bulk/absorb/float/equalize cycle does make a difference on how much energy capacitance the unit has (which is substantially different comparing a C-10 rating to a C-100 rating)

I guess 15 years ain't bad for a battery (Date on bottom one is Jan 2001). And 15 years of progress has taken an Optima 34/78 redtop from 1050 amps and 56 amp hours, down to 1000 amps and 50 amp hours, all within the same package. And probably about $100 more expensive. Hopefully I get 15 years out of this one too.
View attachment 244031

If it sits on the charger in the shop as much as the last one did, it will likely last. Otherwise, dont hold your breath.

Did you try boosting the old battery to see if you can revive it?

If it sits on the charger in the shop as much as the last one did, it will likely last. Otherwise, dont hold your breath.
:flipoff2:
Actually, I never put it on the charger while it was sitting. Might be part of why it lasted so long. I'd just charge it up every 6 months or when I needed to crank it.

Did you try boosting the old battery to see if you can revive it?
It will take a charge and still shows decent voltage, but just doesn't have the juice to crank after sitting a few days.

Back