Random pic thread.

0518171351.jpg
....NOT Cobia bait ........

Last edited:
Is ecgs having someone cast a diff or likely same casting as something else?

It looked like the short side is long, why i asked. But that might be a great setup for jeep folk.

It's dana's ultimate 60 hp housing.

It's perfect to get caster correct and still get pinion up. Gives room for link mount on short side unlike the newer ford stuff.

Same thing would be sweet using d50 and all outers, and some what affordable to spidertrax stuff.

Also can run the super 60 10" gear in it.

New carrier bearings after finding the source of my low rumble....

So what got into the bearing to cause such local damage to the rollers and the race in the exact spot they were touching but not moving? Looks like a dry bearing with a puddle of something corrosive sitting at the bottom.

So what got into the bearing to cause such local damage to the rollers and the race in the exact spot they were touching but not moving? Looks like a dry bearing with a puddle of something corrosive sitting at the bottom.

The only thing I can figure is that it rusted back when the truck was on one of its stints sitting still. This truck sat for over a year several times without being moved. It's a 2002 7.3 SD that only had 30K on it when I bought it from my female neighbor.

The only thing I can figure is that it rusted back when the truck was on one of its stints sitting still. This truck sat for over a year several times without being moved. It's a 2002 7.3 SD that only had 30K on it when I bought it from my female neighbor.

That would do it. It looks like water intrusion because it's so localized, maybe from condensation but hard to say. It's cool though, the corrosion itself isn't what you're seeing, you're seeing the bearing material flaked away from fatigue because it's weakened by the corrosion under load and lack of lube. That's why it's not rusty looking though.

I've seen wheel bearings do that also, dual row deep groove ball bearings. Always wondered the cause.

Most likely that section was above the oil line. I bought a wrecked K10 once for the drivetrain, the section of ring gear above the oil line was so rusty you couldn't turn the rear axle by hand. We could hear it roaring all the way in the cab of the tow truck on the way home. Changed the oil a couple of times after that and kept running it. I would bet that bearing would've lasted a very long time.

If someone brings you a vehicle, says it keeps dinging and carrying on about check gauges and oil pressure... Maybe they should check the oil!?!?? 98 dodge 5.2 truck. Only knocked for half second on start up, no other time would it knock.
View attachment 247631
Original plenum gasket?? I had one that didn't smoke a bit but drank oil like and 80s kid consumed TANG.

mccoy_0.jpg

Back