Random pic thread.

Our back deck is in bad shape.

View attachment 305136

Started tearing it down yesterday, here is an example of the rot. I don’t know who built it, but some boards were attached with nails, some 2” screws, and some 3” screws.

View attachment 305137

Got it all tore down today. I’ll do some grading to make sure water doesn’t go toward the house before I rebuild it.

View attachment 305138

Full load, ready to be hauled off.

View attachment 305139
See what you can do, when your not running around! Seriously, you'd probably enjoyed running, more! Previous owner/contractor, didn't know, or care, what they were doing! Decks, are probably the #1 Lumber job, screwed up!

Me on the right, my little brother on the left, the little girl in front is one me and my ol'lady have custody of, but the real hero of the pic and a damn good woman, is my great grandmother, Mamaw. Celebrating 100 years!
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5153.JPG

Went to pick up my son from a friend's, found this.
IMG_20191027_182255245.jpg

Playing volleyball in the front yard.
Look closely at the "net" mounting.

Was super happy to see, not only the enginuity, but a bunch of kids just being kids playing outside on a nice day. No video games etc.

Went to pick up my son from a friend's, found this.View attachment 305240
Playing volleyball in the front yard.
Look closely at the "net" mounting.

Was super happy to see, not only the enginuity, but a bunch of kids just being kids playing outside on a nice day. No video games etc.
Is that house sinking? What's up with the (1st flloor) windows?

/designfail

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"split level ranch" common up north.

That appears to be a bi-level ranch (raised ranch). The front entrance is between floors, and you can take a staircase up or a staircase down. The bottom floor is below ground level, so it's still considered a ranch.
Split level is different (3 floors total; 2 floors stacked and 1 staggered floor next to that), and is not a ranch. I grew up in a split level, and my grandparents had a raised ranch.

Our resident architects will probably correct my classification as a raised ranch, but that's my layman's understanding of what it is.

Last edited:
Our resident architects will probably correct my classification as a raised ranch

As critical as you are of ANY home ever posted on here....I'd just LOVE to see YOUR home :lol:

Last edited:
As critical as you are of ANY home ever posted on here....I'd just LOVE to see YOUR home

I'm not being critical of anything. I'm saying "this is what kind of house I think it actually is, but I'm not sure so I'm deferring to architects". :confused:
Apparently I've offended someone, somehow, so I'm sorry about that.

My house is interesting but is a big fixer-upper at the moment. There are a cluster of 4 houses on the street that are somewhat different but all done by the same architect in the '80s. It was a good price, and needs a bunch of work. And it needs a garage, but an architect is taking care of that. I'm stalled out with remodeling until I have some work/storage space from a garage.
I just like different types of houses than most people here it seems, but there's nothing wrong with that. I would actually like to live in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area, because there's probably the highest concentration of modern architecture than anywhere else in the state. I doubt I could afford to buy one of them, but that's a different story...

Last edited:
That appears to be a bi-level ranch (raised ranch). The front entrance is between floors, and you can take a staircase up or a staircase down. The bottom floor is below ground level, so it's still considered a ranch.
Split level is different (3 floors total; 2 floors stacked and 1 staggered floor next to that), and is not a ranch. I grew up in a split level, and my grandparents had a raised ranch.

Our resident architects will probably correct my classification as a raised ranch, but that's my layman's understanding of what it is.
yep, there are a lot like that around here, but they are all over NC too. One of my best friends growing up had one.
I remember when he broke his leg, they suddenly realized a big drawback to the design is that you can't go anywhere w/o going up or down stairs first...

Also - apologies for the blurry pic. Didn't realize how bad it was at the time. Too dazed in my shock of seeing teenager playing outside by their own volition.

Last edited:
yep, there are a lot like that around here, but they are all over NC too. One of my best friends growing up had one.
I remember when he broke his leg, they suddenly realized a big drawback to the design is that you can't go anywhere w/o going up or down stairs first...

I've heard that split levels and raised ranches fell out of favor in a lot of areas because of that, and have a hard time selling in some markets. It's weird to think about that objection around here though, because almost everything from the last 20 years is either two stories or those weird skinny 3 story houses. At least with a raised ranch or split level the stairs are broken up into shorter flights with a landing or foyer in the middle. Less stairs to fall down at one time.

I don't drive the JK much, but when I do, things like this happen. It was just sitting in the office parking lot minding its business.View attachment 305279 View attachment 305280

No pictures, Thank goodness, but as I was walking out to my truck, leaving a Restaurant today, a guy Across the parking lot, was leaving too. He started first, as I was getting in my truck. He's backing up at a Crawl, & I'm thinking, Surely he Knows I'm back here! Twenty feet past where Anyone would Need to back up! I sit down, just in time for the Bump! Now,I'm Cussing! Get back out, as he pulls back up. IF I Had to get hit, we hit Balls. I mean, our hitch balls hit together. Not even a scratch, anywhere. He apologized, & I disgustingly told him to go on. There wasn't 5 cars/trucks in the Whole lot, & he has to back into me. :flipoff:

Back