Random Thoughts.....

I've got some damn good deals by driving to go look at something... may do it again tomorrow. I don't understand it we've cannonballed a run to NY to buy a transmission on a deal. Would I do it now probably not but at 19 it was a fun trip
But that’s the thing, why not now? What is SOOOO important in your life now that you can’t go on an adventure? (Not you specifically but just people in general. Just using your response to further my point).

I think that's what I like about Drew the most.

I mean.. he's SO talented, and such a deep thinker that he makes me feel dumb 😭 but more than that the dude genuinely cares about everyone. Doesn't matter your color, political affiliation, gender, sexual preferences, or inability to reach stuff in the upper cabinets. He just wants to understand you so he can see things from your perspective.

I wish I was more like him to be honest. I shut down my slack for someone once they show their ego and insecurities. But even THAT doesn't seem to phase him.
Much love and respect back to you brother!

Why are people so afraid to travel for an item? Have had numerous things for sale as I get ready to move and also over the years. I get through all the chit chat and negotiation only to find out they don’t want to drive the 1hr or whatever to get here and pick it up. If you want it go get it and if anything else use the magic googly machine to find a good restaurant or brew pub and make a lunch date with the misses so you can smooth over the situation of buying something she may complain about. I guess I just don’t get it.

PS: I see it all the time here on the board. “Oh if only you were closer” then I waste my time to map one place to the next and it’s not that far? Like damn, is your life so busy you can’t shell off a couple hrs on the weekends? Seems people are just to packed in their schedule. Take a breather, get in the car and go!

//rant.

I'll drive an hour fairly easily. Anything over needs to be a deal worth my time. But, i won't even bother messaging if the seller is up front about location.

But that’s the thing, why not now? What is SOOOO important in your life now that you can’t go on an adventure? (Not you specifically but just people in general. Just using your response to further my point).
Now I work 50ish hrs a week. And make enough that I can just pay more for it to be local. I've driving 2 hours tomorrow to look at a truck. And leaving work early to do so.
But I also think sellers have become shittier about keeping a deal I've bought stuff off here that everyone knew ahead of the deal i wouldn't get there for a month.

Not much on this forum but the marketplace, people don't deal like the used to. You are likely to agree on a price and a time, then when you are halfway there they send you, someone got here first with cash. Not long ago i asked about something on market place, they said well someone is on the way with cash, but if you can beat him here you can have it.. lol wtf.

Not much on this forum but the marketplace, people don't deal like the used to. You are likely to agree on a price and a time, then when you are halfway there they send you, someone got here first with cash. Not long ago i asked about something on market place, they said well someone is on the way with cash, but if you can beat him here you can have it.. lol wtf.
100 percent I'm half expecting the truck to sale tomorrow before I get there. Was willing to paypal the guy a deposit and he said no

Why are people so afraid to travel for an item? Have had numerous things for sale as I get ready to move and also over the years. I get through all the chit chat and negotiation only to find out they don’t want to drive the 1hr or whatever to get here and pick it up. If you want it go get it and if anything else use the magic googly machine to find a good restaurant or brew pub and make a lunch date with the misses so you can smooth over the situation of buying something she may complain about. I guess I just don’t get it.

PS: I see it all the time here on the board. “Oh if only you were closer” then I waste my time to map one place to the next and it’s not that far? Like damn, is your life so busy you can’t shell off a couple hrs on the weekends? Seems people are just to packed in their schedule. Take a breather, get in the car and go!

//rant.
Some people just hate driving and would rather spend their time doing other things. Different priorities of enjoyment. Just like I'd take 2 hours of driving over 1 hour of yard work. Personally I think they just don't have the right car :laughing: .

I'd also take 2 hours of driving north or west of here around country rounds over just 1 hour driving down into DC on the God forsaken Interstate.

Some people just hate driving and would rather spend their time doing other things. Different priorities of enjoyment. Just like I'd take 2 hours of driving over 1 hour of yard work. Personally I think they just don't have the right car :laughing: .

I'd also take 2 hours of driving north or west of here around country rounds over just 1 hour driving down into DC on the God forsaken Interstate.
Similarly, I'd rather drive north or west 2hrs to the mountains than 40 minutes to east Charlotte.

100 percent I'm half expecting the truck to sale tomorrow before I get there. Was willing to paypal the guy a deposit and he said no
Similar story here that worked out in my favor. Messaged a guy weekend before last about a chipper. He was 2hrs away in Burnsville, so I was gonna run up Sunday afternoon and check it out, leave a deposit, and come get it later in the week or next weekend. But he told me he had a guy from Charlotte coming Monday evening to look at it, and the guy "sounded pretty serious", so he would let me know if he didn't take it. I mentioned a bit about how many "serious" people on FB/CL never showed up and he agreed but said he had agreed on Monday with the other guy, and was gonna keep his word. I figured it was gone at that point, because it was a good deal. Phone rings about 8:30 Monday night, I figured he was calling to say it was sold. But instead the "serious" guy was another FB/CL no show (probably because of the ridiculous thunderstorms and rain we got last monday, but hey, car's got wipers...). Rolled up there Tuesday after work, struck a deal, made a new friend, saw a nice place in the mountains, and brought home a good chipper.

As other have said, time=money, and your time is worth more now that before.
I'll drive an hour fairly easily. Anything over needs to be a deal worth my time. But, i won't even bother messaging if the seller is up front about location.
x2. 3+hrs one way is a big change in the time commitment, esp with jobs, kids, etc. Now, if I can find a time that works, during the workday, I can typically figure it out. There's only so many home projects that I can fit into the hrs of the weekend, with everything else going on.

x2. 3+hrs one way is a big change in the time commitment, esp with jobs, kids, etc. Now, if I can find a time that works, during the workday, I can typically figure it out. There's only so many home projects that I can fit into the hrs of the weekend, with everything else going on.
This.
When I was younger, I had more time than money, my time was spent on worthless things.
Now I have more money than time, and my time is priceless.

This.
When I was younger, I had more time than money, my time was spent on worthless things.
Now I have more money than time, and my time is priceless.

And here I am, with not much of either.

not to mention current gas and tire prices.

If Im driving 6 hours (3 each way) it better be $500 cheaper than I can buy online and have it delivered to my door

I’m hearing some really great excuses here. Keep ‘em coming lol

What I hear out of this:

I’m too busy= I work too much

My time is to valuable on the weekend= I work too much

Not worth the drive: do some research and take the family somewhere different for the afternoon and see something along the way or eat out at a different place to create a memory.

Idk guess I just see things differently then y’all.

What I hear out of this:

Not worth the drive: do some research and take the family somewhere different for the afternoon and see something along the way or eat out at a different place to create a memory.

Your right on all accounts your just missing the value aspect. Everyone places a value on two things independently.
Time = $
$= Time
Often proportional. More often inversely related.
Your application of busy in reference to time has no bearing of the value/time.

Now the value of stuff is relative and often debated. More often however it is set by market or desire. These are concrete opposed to the aspect of value/time.

So in effect marketing is a ratio involving the value of Time vs. Goods, not how busy you are in life. My suggestion is adjust your market accordingly. Harder said than done because Time doesn't make profit but it can damn sure cost a lot of money.

What I hear out of this:

I agree with you 100%. Me and the wife took a weekend to Nashville and Chattanooga a few years back to get a vehicle. I will do it again in a heartbeat, for the right item at the right price. That is the key driver for me, it has to be the right item/vehicle/etc at a price and timing I can work with. I guess for me, I have become more picky on how to spend my time as Ive gotten older.

What I hear out of this:

Add to that " My body is too old to be folded up in a vehicle for hours on end to go look at something 4-5 hours away."

What I hear out of this:

For me its just prioritizing. And yes, I probably work too much, but sometimes that work is enjoyable. And sometimes it is not. Driving 8hrs away to get a car is a chore, but I've done it. 6 times. Because the savings was worth it. Other times I won't drive across town to save $100 because I don't want to. Then there are times where I will drive 2-3hrs out of my way to get something that's only worth $50 because its a chance to have lunch with a friend in Aberdeen ;)

Installed a blink doorbell camera and another wireless camera at the back door a few days ago. Got a notification on my phone of myself peeing off the porch. Thought I was out of its view. My wife text me from work asking what in the hell is wrong with me, lol. I’m probably uploaded in a cloud somewhere peeing off my porch forever.

Installed a blink doorbell camera and another wireless camera at the back door a few days ago. Got a notification on my phone of myself peeing off the porch. Thought I was out of its view. My wife text me from work asking what in the hell is wrong with me, lol. I’m probably uploaded in a cloud somewhere peeing off my porch forever.
Tell your wife she shouldn't be watching nudity at work.

Back