Random Thoughts.....

Phone books. Knew they were archaic, and wonder why the heck we still get one tossed on our driveway occasionally, which goes right into the recycling.

Then I had this interactio nwith my 10 year old daughter.

[brings in phone book left on driveway (no, I did not ask for one)]
"Hey look, we got a phone book."
[Delaney] "Huh? Whats that?"
[me] dumbfounded. "I said, a phone book."
[Delaney] looks at me blankly. "I don't know what that is."
{me] hands it to her.
[Delaney] "What do you do with this?"
[me] "OMG. Look, see, its a book with phone numbers. If you want to call somebody, you look them up in this section here. See, it has names in alphabetical order."
[Delaney] "Why would anybody want to do that?"
[me] "if you knew somebody, wanted to call them, but don't have their number."
Also, look, there's this whole section called the Yellow Pages, where businesses are listed, so if you're looking for a kind of business but don't know which yo uwant, you can look them up."
[Delaney]"This is stupid. Nobody wants to look through all those names. Why would you use this?"
[me]"You're not wrong."
Along those lines when was the last time you dialed "0" and spoke with an operator?

Along those lines when was the last time you dialed "0" and spoke with an operator?
Valid point. Does that even work on a cell phone?

Similarly - 411 for information?

All drivers ed cars should be sticks.

I agree 100%. But, its so dang hard to buy a straight drive car anymore that it probably wont matter before too long. I have been casually looking for something to drive back and forth to work that can haul the kids too. A few years ago I looked at a new Toyota Camry that was a straight drive, now the only Toyota car you can get with a manual is a hatch back Corolla.

........That is because it was created using mRNA technology. Pfizer supposedly created it in two days .....
.......The FDA has never approved a vaccine based on that technology before.
........This will be the first.

NONE of that makes it any betterer!

Thoughts and prayers for all firefighters today.

Remembering Robert Wynn, WBVFD, LODD 12-6-1981

(Brought up elsewhere recently)

The fact that its so hard to find employment if you have a prison record is in itself proof that our society has no belief that the system is about reform or rehabilitation...

Last edited:
(Brought up elsewhere recently)

The fact that its so hard to fibd employment if you have a prison record is in itself proof that our society has no belief that the system is about reform or rehabilitation
Problem is most will go back to what they were doing that got them locked up to begin with. I know this because I was a corrections officer for 2.5 years working in a prison and they would tell me that.

Problem is most will go back to what they were doing that got them locked up to begin with. I know this because I was a corrections officer for 2.5 years working in a prison and they would tell me that.
That's pretty much my point. Our "corrections" system is clearly not doing much correcting.

I mean, you're literally called a corrections officer. That implies a very different kind of outcome...

That's pretty much my point. Our "corrections" system is clearly not doing much correcting.

I mean, you're literally called a corrections officer. That implies a very different kind of outcome...
We've hired several ex-cons over the years. So far none have worked out for long.

Which is what the prison industry wants. Repeat customers.

Its a tough cycle.

For many, all they know is the "wrong way". And with no way to make money the "right way" I understand how they fall into the cycle.

The challenge is the right thing is usually the hardest thing to do.

Its a tough cycle.

For many, all they know is the "wrong way". And with no way to make money the "right way" I understand how they fall into the cycle.

The challenge is the right thing is usually the hardest thing to do.
Yep. Hence... we need an actual correction system, not just punishment.

Which is what the prison industry wants. Repeat customers.
yeah, this dosn't help. Especially with the for-profit prison movement. What incentive is there to push any real reform?
I've often wondered if there was some way to incentivise NOT having people return. Which is a really weird way to do things. Or at least, de-incentivise repeat customers. Like a decreasing sliding scale of fundinger per prisoner based on how many prior visits they have had. Unfortunately this is an area where the usual tenets of capitolism don't apply very well or work against you.

Yep. Hence... we need an actual correction system, not just punishment.
I agree but the inmates have to want to be corrected. A lot of them don't want that. I had quite a few conversations about that will working C block. A 24 hour lockdown unit for the real bad asses.

I agree but the inmates have to want to be corrected. A lot of them don't want that. I had quite a few conversations about that will working C block. A 24 hour lockdown unit for the real bad asses.
Many dont, you are 100% correct.
Many others dont know another way. I wish there was a way to change their want.

Much like a child that doesnt want to be corrected...some adults were puppies that were allowed to piss on the rug, never corrected and now believe the rug is the right place to piss. Its tough to teach an old dog...but it can be done...it requires love though and there isnt a bunch of that love left.

Many dont, you are 100% correct.
Many others dont know another way. I wish there was a way to change their want.

Much like a child that doesnt want to be corrected...some adults were puppies that were allowed to piss on the rug, never corrected and now believe the rug is the right place to piss. Its tough to teach an old dog...but it can be done...it requires love though and there isnt a bunch of that love left.
And some dogs just need put down immediately.

Fuck duke progress I’ve never had to deal with the stupid amount of dumb asses as I have had to for this job. I think they only hire the guys that pull on the door even though it says push in big letters right at eye level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is actually true. They call it "alternative thinking" or some new age BS. Next thing you know, they'll have a woman CEO and a middle eastern COO.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between Ellen Page and Elliot Page is a hat.

image.jpg

difference between Ellen Page and Elliot Page

WGAF?
And why did there need to be a huge press release?

Was it a slow news week? Is he/she/they hard up for work and has to do anything to stay relevant?

Back