RC Crawler for kids 2021?

My mom ended up buying my boys some cheapo Nylint Broncos from Walmart. They are ok, but no proportional throttle, not enough torque to truly crawl, and everything is cheapo plastic. But the boys are loving them enough to justify some teal ones next Christmas if they stick with it.

This thing was light enough to drive on the powdery snow this morning. Now that the suns coming out it sinks, but it was super fun earlier!

462BD67D-74B0-46F1-BE6F-65E833320544.jpeg

Funny, I was just thinking about RC cars and thought I remembered seeing a thread for them here. My oldest daughter (4, will be 5 in a few months) has a small Toy Story RC car that she used to be afraid of, but now loves the hell out of it. Also has a small/cheap RC helicopter. I was thinking about getting a kit for "us," something for me to have fun building then her to have fun driving/destroying. I'd be her mechanic, she'd be the driver. Now I'll have to go sift back through this thread to find a good one to start with. I started looking on the interwebs, but there's so many out there and I haven't played with RC cars since.....hell, idk. Late 80s? early 90s? Let's just say they've made some advancements. :laughing:

I got tired of the slow... 1:18 Yeti Jr trophy truck. I might have to hold off on letting the 5yr old drive this one for a little while.

20220322_132905.jpg

Last edited:
Well I drank the 1:24 scale Kool aid. There was a sale on the deadbolts ($100 instead of $125) so my boys put up $40 each and we went and got a couple. Ended up getting wheels/tires for one, but I ordered another set online for the 2nd one. I can say the RC4wd Mudslingers (Boggers) do WAY better than the stock tires.

I just bought two of the C10's from a guy on FB marketplace, should have them later this week sometime. We were having too much fun racing them that it was hard to share.

I had my doubts, but I think I might honestly say they are more fun than the 1:10 scale crawlers. It is easier to build a challenging course out of riprap, boulders, boards, etc. The course has changed from this picture a fair bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_193459205.jpg
    IMG_20220327_193459205.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20220325_193513976.jpg
    IMG_20220325_193513976.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 132
Anybody else having motor issues? The first one quit in "mine" last week. I ordered the Injora 050 motor and swapped it in, then the 3rd stock motor started dieing in the other one. Another 050 motor is on the way. I'm hoping the physically larger motor (brushes, etc) will last better. It was actually a little slower than the stock motor.

Anybody else having motor issues? The first one quit in "mine" last week. I ordered the Injora 050 motor and swapped it in, then the 3rd stock motor started dieing in the other one. Another 050 motor is on the way. I'm hoping the physically larger motor (brushes, etc) will last better. It was actually a little slower than the stock motor.
I.. er… my kids have not

A motor in one of mine died after the first battery. I didn't see when it died so not sure if my daughter stalled it out or something (as she is t really old enough to drive them). The hobby shop swapped it out for a new one, but Horizon Hobby is also mailing a replacement. I will probably get some of the Injora 050 motors at some.point.

A motor in one of mine died after the first battery. I didn't see when it died so not sure if my daughter stalled it out or something (as she is t really old enough to drive them). The hobby shop swapped it out for a new one, but Horizon Hobby is also mailing a replacement. I will probably get some of the Injora 050 motors at some.point.
Axial mailed me a replacement for the first one and I ordered another at the same time because I could get it quicker from Amazon. Mine have died just like a dead battery. Swap in new battery thinking that was it and still doesn't work. Two of them have been able to be limped by spinning the driveshaft and they'll run again for a little while. Like a dead spot on the motor.

Well "my" truck showed up today. Two of the C10's from a guy off FB. Both were new, some upgrades on the one (links, shocks, wheels, wideners, front bumper). I added the Boggers as they are quite a bit taller and grip much better than the stock tires. Based on what I could see today, (out of the box) the Deadbolts are the best option for crawling. The transmission is further forward in them and they have a better approach/departure angle---they are cheaper too. Wheelbase is identical between the models, just a little more front weight bias on the deadbolt. Not a huge difference but it was noticable in places, granted you can see how much muddier my tires are than the others...

My oldest (9) I think enjoys building a course as much or more than driving on it. I am hoping throwing a $10 add-on every once in awhile, or adding more to the course will keep them excited about driving them.

IMG_20220331_163711232_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220331_164549754_HDR.jpg

My 9 year old loves his Arrma Senton! It has proven to be pretty tough. It has different throttle settings to keep it tame (50%, 75%, 100%). He really doesn't drive it unless I drive my Slash with him. He started out on a 1/16 buggy from Amazon and it held up really well and is still fun to drive :)

They just announced a bronco one and I have some points at horizon hobby. So I might be ordering one to go with my Losi lasernut and my arrma kraton
A friend of mine (adult, with no kids) pre-ordered 2 broncos...

Saw a black 2-door at North Hills tonight, first one I've seen in person.

Oh no. Another addiction may have begun. Bought a used 3d printer yesterday, this was the first successful print (what a PITA!!!). Really hoping I can get the boys (or at least the oldest for now) sufficient in learning how to use/operate it. Drawing custom stuff on CAD is a whole different ballgame though....

IMG_20220511_121147070.jpg

Being self employed has it's advantages sometimes. You get to sit around all day and play with a 3d printer.

Chassis obviously, front bumper and sliders on the C10, and high clearance links on the deadbolt. I also put high clearance links on the C10. The C10 has never seen dirt, i am kind of thinking of printing a bunch of stuff for it and then see if it will sell for enough to justify selling it.

IMG_20220511_190253226.jpg
IMG_20220512_205502195.jpg
IMG_20220511_121747186_HDR.jpg

Back