RC Crawler for kids 2021?

(SOLD) if anyone is on the fence. Aluminum bumper, tire carrier, and 3d printed sliders and roof rack.

IMG_20220703_190648385_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
$100 if anyone is on the fence. Aluminum bumper, tire carrier, and 3d printed sliders and roof rack.

View attachment 376010
Thats a good deal.

After a week with the FCX24 and too many breakages, I think I'm gonna refocus on optimizing the SCX24s. Other than the stock motors they've been great. I bet we have 100hrs or close to it on each of them.

After trying to use some 43mm double barrel shocks for a 'droop' setup and not being pleased because they unload too easily, I decided to print some 'shocks'. I printed these out of PLA+ and they performed fair, but I broke one of them force flexing it. I am going to try to print them out of ABS (have never printed anything out of ABS before) and see how they do. But may tweak them some more-thickness, etc. Overall though I was very pleased with the performance over the stock shocks. Too much articulation is a bad thing on these it seems.

Attachments

• IMG_20220704_185521863.jpg
    IMG_20220704_185521863.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20220704_185547937_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220704_185547937_HDR.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 114
A few updates.
Broke a knuckle on the Gladiator. Got a brass set from Amazon that works great. Also came with 7mm brass wheel spacers. Put all that on and now the Gladiator looks right. Steering servo is definitely the weak point now, but its still working. The Injora 50t motor let out its final smoke, BUT that is because the controller batteries were dying and my 3 year old left it on all night and it sat there humming at very light throttle all night with no motion. I gave em a pass on that and ordered another.
Also broke a front axleshaft on the Gladiator. Got the RCAWD CVD shafts. They are a little tight on the length and seem to cause some binding. Hopefully they loosen up over time.

You can see the stance on the left front compared to the rear of the Gladiator.
20220708_183019.jpg
20220708_183029.jpg
20220708_183046.jpg
20220708_183329.jpg
20220708_184005.jpg
20220708_184711.jpg
20220708_214850.jpg

20220730_140215.jpg

20220730_140218.jpg

The "drone racing motor" for the Yellow jeep is still going strong, but I got tired of popping off u joints on the driveshafts. Bought some steel driveshafts, but they have a poor design and aren't phased right, so instead of breaking other parts, I sent those back and bought a different motor. Also, the drone motor was too loud. The new motor is a Hobbyfans 50T and so far is great. Noticeably faster than stock, but quiet, smooth, and good throttle control. And $12 shipped. Definitely my favorite so far. We will see how long it lasts.
20220730_135931.jpg

Last edited:
Rode the motorcycle to Reeds Goldmine today, stopped at Boone's cave on the way home. Awesome place to crawl for the 1/24 scale crawlers inside the cave. My son flipped his over way in the back so he had to crawl down there and flip it back over.

IMG_20220730_131940645.jpg
IMG_20220730_132528786.jpg

Rode the motorcycle to Reeds Goldmine today, stopped at Boone's cave on the way home. Awesome place to crawl for the 1/24 scale crawlers inside the cave. My son flipped his over way in the back so he had to crawl down there and flip it back over.

View attachment 377649View attachment 377650
That's what's great about the 1/24 scale stuff: take it anywhere, even on your motorcycle. :D

Anybody found batteries that actually last? All 3 Axial oem Batts have a dead cell or are swollen, and 2 of the 4 Amazon cheapest are the same.

I haven't had any issues with the factory chargers (except 1 cable failed) or the factory batteries. I bought 2 more of the original batteries from a local hobby shop and all 4 are good.

I haven't had any issues with the factory chargers (except 1 cable failed) or the factory batteries. I bought 2 more of the original batteries from a local hobby shop and all 4 are good.
How many charge cycles do you think you have on them? Like 10 or 100?

Alot of these problems are the charger. The factory charger sucks. I use the same charger as on the 1/10 scale and have no problems.
I recently ended up with a better charger that actually has indicator lights for each cell, and thats how I figured out some of the batteries won't charge all the way. But the 5 swollen batteries out of 7 make me wonder if its the charger moreso than the batteries, but then again, they are CCS batteries to, so who knows. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

I recently ended up with a better charger that actually has indicator lights for each cell, and thats how I figured out some of the batteries won't charge all the way. But the 5 swollen batteries out of 7 make me wonder if its the charger moreso than the batteries, but then again, they are CCS batteries to, so who knows. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I have a cheap charger and an expensive charger. Both work well but the expensive one is more user friendly. Balance charging is the way to go on any multi cell lipo.

Nearing 100.
Hmm. I'd guess mine are in the 50-100 range also. Factory chargers up until a couple weeks ago, but all the factory batteries were already toast by then. Do you have a gen1 or gen2 SCX24? Everyone says the chargers are crap on both, but maybe the Gen2s are worse if you are Gen1.

Hmm. I'd guess mine are in the 50-100 range also. Factory chargers up until a couple weeks ago, but all the factory batteries were already toast by then. Do you have a gen1 or gen2 SCX24? Everyone says the chargers are crap on both, but maybe the Gen2s are worse if you are Gen1.
Probably gen1? They're the JL body ones. We've killed 3 original Axial motors and upgraded to the injora 050 motors.

How'd these work out? My youngest has a C10 and the front pin keeps "clicking" in the cup on one side. Pretty sure its part toyota.
They function, but are too tight, and added a noticeable amount of drag. Something about the stackup length. No issues otherwise, but probably slowed it down 10-20% as soon as I put them in. The kids haven't played with them as much lately, so my memory is a month or 3 old, but we will be putting some more beach time on them this weekend so it will be some good side by side comparison.

I've had similar issues with batteries. If you guys have some links of batteries and charger(s) that you've found work better, you mind sharing some links? Any of these chargers able to charge more than 1 battery at a time?

@jeepinmatt you see the new Traxxas TRX-4m?
Haven't seen it until you mentioned it, but looks like a good option. Not as pocket sized as the 1/24s, but way more portable than a 1/10 scale.

I did 7mm brass spacers and brass knuckles on the SCX24 Gladiator a while back. Made it way more stable, but the stock steering servo was too weak and couldn't steer past 10 or 15 degrees. Finally got around to upgrading the servo and steering.
20230104_192404.jpg
20230104_192705.jpg
20230104_194806.jpg
20230104_195830.jpg
20230104_231055.jpg

Huge improvement! With the brass bits, better steering, Injora 50T Pro motor, and slightly longer wheelbase, this Gladiator is by far the best crawler of my 3 and is a blast to drive.

Especially with dat skwat bruh!
20230104_191950.jpg

They function, but are too tight, and added a noticeable amount of drag. Something about the stackup length. No issues otherwise, but probably slowed it down 10-20% as soon as I put them in. The kids haven't played with them as much lately, so my memory is a month or 3 old, but we will be putting some more beach time on them this weekend so it will be some good side by side comparison.

Finally got around to upgrading the servo and steering.

I just ordered u joint axles and the Emax servo for my son's C10. One axle was clicking when binding and the servo and servo saver died a horrible death also.

A year later and these things are still doing great. Only issue is the batteries dont last worth crap.

A year later and these things are still doing great. Only issue is the batteries dont last worth crap.
We have two of them and a nice balance charger for the 10th scale stuff. Same batteries and one car is 3 yrs old and the other is 1.5.

Older car had to get some stuff replaced with the crappy factory charger flashed the battery and I had to toss everything in the yard. šŸ˜³

Back