Refinance

Got pre-approved, 2.875% for 30years. Based on my low on paper income, and apparently not good credit score of 722 I came up getting less than I hoped. Means I will have to sell some stuff to be able to finish the new house but that's fine by me, once we sell our current house I plan to pay off the mortgage with the proceeds.

I was told that the rates for a cash-out loan on the current house would be much better than a construction loan, so that's what we are doing.

Anyone want a really nice bulldozer once I am done grading? :-D

2.875% for 30years

The odd thing about that...even 4 years ago I woulda been super stoked for that rate. I also seem to remember the folklore my folks told me about the first house they bought in the early-80's 'good rates' were 15-18%...they were poor and shitty credit risks, so their rate was even higher.

The odd thing about that...even 4 years ago I woulda been super stoked for that rate. I also seem to remember the folklore my folks told me about the first house they bought in the early-80's 'good rates' were 15-18%...they were poor and shitty credit risks, so their rate was even higher.

Yea, she pretty much told me it was due to being self employed, low income, and mediocre credit score. I am honestly surprised my credit score is not great, I paid off my skid steer earlier this year, but don't have any other payments so I guess it really hurts you to pay off stuff too fast, or to not have any payments, I don't know what it is but I can't change it now. If I wait long enough to change my credit score/income/etc to get more $$ the rates might be higher.

Start to save up your pennies. About 3.5 million pennies should cover it :-D. It's an 88' model with 900 hours, has been refurbished too. It's nice
You were thinking as many dimes as I was thinking pennies :lol:

Yea, she pretty much told me it was due to being self employed, low income, and mediocre credit score. I am honestly surprised my credit score is not great, I paid off my skid steer earlier this year, but don't have any other payments so I guess it really hurts you to pay off stuff too fast, or to not have any payments, I don't know what it is but I can't change it now. If I wait long enough to change my credit score/income/etc to get more $$ the rates might be higher.
722 isn't terrible credit. For many things thats fairly decent. You're just up into teh range where little things matter.
Something that helps is having a credit card that you use but pay off monthly, so there is revolving credit but no real debt..Also - it's been a long time, my memory is fuzzy but isn't your wife a teacher? Unless she has bad credit it would help to have her on the app too (if you didn't).

Super stoked, got approved at 4.25% today!

Oh and forgot to mention I only have to pay $10,500 in closing costs.

Celebrating tonight and really splurging on some Boone’s Farm and Aristocrat!!

Last edited:
722 isn't terrible credit. For many things thats fairly decent. You're just up into teh range where little things matter.
Something that helps is having a credit card that you use but pay off monthly, so there is revolving credit but no real debt..Also - it's been a long time, my memory is fuzzy but isn't your wife a teacher? Unless she has bad credit it would help to have her on the app too (if you didn't).

We actually do have a CC that I pay off monthly. But that is literally the ONLY payment we have currently other than our land, but it wasn't through a bank so it doesn't show up on a credit report. Wife was a teacher, but she is a stay at home mom now. I guess she is a teacher again since the Crayola virus started (what my kids call it)

I know 2.875 isn't great at the moment, but it is still cheaper than the mortgage I used to have, and if all goes as planned and we build and pay it off in a year or two, it won't matter anyways. Actually going to start asking around to see if I can find a buyer for our current house that will buy at a discounted price once we are ready to sell so we can hopefully skip the realtors.

Closing tomorrow...roughly 45-50 days...and really only because of this thread. Otherwise I was fat dumb and happy with what I had.

811D94F6-B711-4767-A52E-0CA2A7A93546.jpeg

Super stoked, got approved at 4.25% today!

Oh and forgot to mention I only have to pay $10,500 in closing costs.

Celebrating tonight and really splurging on some Boone’s Farm and Aristocrat!!
That's awesome man, happy for you. Considering you're in a jumbo (referring to you're mortgage... that's not a fat joke), that's a great rate!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's awesome man, happy for you. Considering you're in a jumbo (referring to you're mortgage... that's not a fat joke), that's a great rate!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Man I know, hopefully pay off the $20,000 principal early by 2048!

My first house in 1980, was 12%. Auto interest rates were 12-18%.

That's a big part of why houses were 60% smaller than they are today.

I honestly wonder if rates will ever be anywhere near that high again in my life time.

Also bad for gov't debt.
This!

Our Federal budget is fucked if the prime rate goes up too much.

And of course that's a problem that only gets worse over time with no solution in sight.

So, when y'all are saying you have zero out of pocket at closing (or $500, whatever), is that because they are taking the fees out of what they are giving you? I have never done a cash-out mortgage before. They told me I will owe about $500 at closing, but of the amount I am qualified for they are giving me about $3k less and said that $3k is for closing cost fees and such.

I always remember paying about $2-3k in closing costs on previous mortgages (in the 100-120k range back in 2008-2012 ish). So $3k for considerably more still sounds good, just making sure I am not getting the raw end of a deal.

Back