Residential HVAC Question

C'mon Ron...you me better than that :cool:. And the boss is even worse.

Called Rep...called MFG....LOTS of calls with rep. His hands were tied.

trust me, this wasn't a case of buying a ford and being butthurt that the plastic for the actuator controlling the blend door got brittle after 14 yrs. This was more of that straw that broke the camels back for Fujitsu. Years of hearing horror stories, and HOPING to give them a chance ended in disaster for them.

Years ago the Carrier rep pissed off the former owner, and he had us throw out all the carrier catalogs, and ban any rep from ever coming in the door :lol: THAT....was personal. He retired back in 2003..and the carrier rep is JUST NOW starting to call on us again.

Sorry I can be a bit sensitive about decades old ghosts influencing current busienss :D

Sorry I can be a bit sensitive about decades old ghosts influencing current busienss :D

:lol:

I can't imagine why.

I'm STILL fighting for you with 3 school systems. Give me a few more months with the one I work the most with. There's some [Trump voice] HUUUGE changes coming in middle/upper management and that old school stubborness may very well change allowing me to change my "basis of design"

:lol:

I can't imagine why.

I'm STILL fighting for you with 3 school systems. Give me a few more months with the one I work the most with. There's some [Trump voice] HUUUGE changes coming in middle/upper management and that old school stubborness may very well change allowing me to change my "basis of design"

As soon as the world re-opens for business the plane is gassed up ready to fly and demonstrate to anyone what we do, who we are and why...

If you're the kind of person that buys the "extended warranty" on a TV or expensive tool, you'll want to stick to then big 3. If you feel like that's a rip-off then Wu-tang 4 life
Likewise, if you're buying it from discountdiyhvac4u.co.org.uk, good luck getting any kind of warranty coverage if it dies.

What size is the house? Do you currently have a unit for the 1st floor and one for upstairs?

how big is the space in the basement?

What size unit do you have? How old is it?
Are your windows the original ones from 1945 or are they upgraded?

I’d give a shot in the barrel response like everyone else, but an educated response would be one that had as much info as possible. :D

I’m no HVAC guru, but responses will differ based on answering the above info. With the lack of temp extremes in the basement, it’s possible you have enough capacity in your current system to add this space to your current system.

What size is the house? Do you currently have a unit for the 1st floor and one for upstairs?

how big is the space in the basement?

What size unit do you have? How old is it?
Are your windows the original ones from 1945 or are they upgraded?

I’d give a shot in the barrel response like everyone else, but an educated response would be one that had as much info as possible. :D

I’m no HVAC guru, but responses will differ based on answering the above info. With the lack of temp extremes in the basement, it’s possible you have enough capacity in your current system to add this space to your current system.

1600 SF single story ranch house.

No clue on what the unit is, or its age.

The basement windows look old, so Id say theyre original. But the house has updated windows, not sure what year.

Ill pull a tape on the basement later.

Need to find out info on your unit. Could be a 3 ton, maybe a 4 ton. If it’s a newer 4 ton and you have upgraded windows upstairs and your basement isn’t massive, it’s possible you have enough capacity with your current system.

Need to find out info on your unit. Could be a 3 ton, maybe a 4 ton. If it’s a newer 4 ton and you have upgraded windows upstairs and your basement isn’t massive, it’s possible you have enough capacity with your current system.

Does this help? Google says its 2 ton.
20200408_161938.jpg

2 ton lennox 14 seer according to my quick googlefu

I don't know guys I think y'all are overthinking this now.

If the basement is always cold, and already seperate from the house in any way, why not just bu ya dehumidifier as mentioned? It'll heat the space year round ANd conveniently keep the basement dry. Why bother wit hall of this business of tying into an actual HVAC system? It'll cost $300 and be completed in 20 minutes.
The only thing that dosn't do for you is to help circulate air. Buy a fan to put in one of the small windows,

2 ton is likely borderline too small for your current house unless you have another unit for upstairs.

either way, I agree it’s likely too small.

It keeps it cool up to about 95. After that it starts warming up.

$600 heat pump mini split is the answer.

@braxton357 the DIY kits that are 1.5-2 ton are more like $1500 with the precharged line sets.

Yes for a daikin, lg or Mitsubishi. I install $600-650 1 ton import units all the time though and they work pretty well.

I just bought 2 12kbtu units from United Refrigeration for 749 each. Would have been under 700 if you bought 220v units. This is by far the best cost effective way to go. They rock.

Like a PTAC

When I installed my first minisplit, I swore to NEVER install another PTAC unit! They are terrible and inefficient compared to a minisplit. Not to mention they cost more.

Back