Rockcity's small dozer shenanigans

My recollection is that there are two separate 12v alternators (one for each battery), but I can't remember for certain.

Something like that. There were definitely two 12v alternators. Batteries wired in series. Once I got it figured out, it wasn't bad. The random fuseable links were aggravating though.

It's all 12 volt now though :D

So when are you going to weld some 5/8" square stock to those grousers @rockcity

I’ve been contemplating it. But I haven’t needed to yet. YET.
But, I need a diesel welder first as I don’t have a trailer to drag the dozer to the house to do any welding…. If only I had a trailer…. 🙄 :lol:

My first upgrade is making some ripper teeth for the rear to help break up any roots or the ground.

Diesel welder because everything else runs it? Or are you planning on 300 or more sparkle powers?

I’d be fine with a gas welder, just need something portable with its own power source.
Older slightly used gas are plentiful. The Bobcat and Ranger variety mostly. The crude oil burners are really high hours and still high in price for the ones I find.
I would like to burn some metal with some of the higher priced tier units though.

The Lincoln I want with a built in compressor and diesel cost as much as my first house! A man can dream.

My first upgrade is making some ripper teeth for the rear to help break up any roots or the ground.
Hey, if you happen to be coming towards the greater Stanley metro area anytime soon, I might have something you could start with...;)

Hey, if you happen to be coming towards the greater Stanley metro area anytime soon, I might have something you could start with...;)

Are they these same worn out rippers you were trying to sell on CL a few months ago?

njoy_eleven4_1200x_cf087b58-346d-4a89-86d7-e96212cbd924.jpg

I've always been partial to the old Fergusons myself, but liking Fergusons vs Fords is like someone preferring a squarebody GMC over a Chevy. Same damn thing!

Umm, also, your wife has GOT to be one of the coolest females on the planet. She got a sister that's single and has poor taste in men?

I'm guessing, sometimes, you go for the tried and true "ask forgiveness, not permission" thing :D Then again...out of sight, out of mind. I suppose since it isn't all hanging around your house, then she probably doesn't care!

I've always been partial to the old Fergusons myself, but liking Fergusons vs Fords is like someone preferring a squarebody GMC over a Chevy. Same damn thing!

Umm, also, your wife has GOT to be one of the coolest females on the planet. She got a sister that's single and has poor taste in men?

I'm guessing, sometimes, you go for the tried and true "ask forgiveness, not permission" thing :D Then again...out of sight, out of mind. I suppose since it isn't all hanging around your house, then she probably doesn't care!

I usually tell her about it after I purchase. That seems to be the best method. (I’ve even done that with buying land and several houses… :lol ). As long as I don’t go bankrupt or affect retirement or the kiddos savings, she usually leaves me alone. But, she always rolls her eyes!

Regardless what she says or how much she rolls her eyes, she knows everything I buy I can at least get my $ back out of it or it serves a specific task to make my life (and thus, hers) easier. :D

And like you said, it certainly helps that it’s not piled up around the house and is at the land out of sight. :)

It was a bit funny last night. The kiddos were at cheer practice when I got home so they hadn’t seen the 9n yet but knew I was getting it.

I picked them up from cheer and we played the “what do you think my new tractor looks like” game.

Their first question was how much did I pay?

Their next response was, “for that much $, it’s probably rusted and has 3 flat tires…. “

:lol:

My wife said, “it looks like an antique”. She was absolutely right! (For once)

It was a bit funny last night. The kiddos were at cheer practice when I got home so they hadn’t seen the 9n yet but knew I was getting it.

I picked them up from cheer and we played the “what do you think my new tractor looks like” game.

Their first question was how much did I pay?

Their next response was, “for that much $, it’s probably rusted and has 3 flat tires…. “

:lol:

My wife said, “it looks like an antique”. She was absolutely right! (For once)
Looks complete and is that a tool box on the fender? Is it a front mount distributor? Make sure you turn the fuel off when you park it overnight or longer.

We have had an 8N forever on the farm. certainly the tractor that gets the most work put into it with the least amount of actual work being performed. :laughing: But, something legit cool about it, and its nostalgic. Pulls the shit spreader pretty well too :flipoff2:

Hard to tear up something when it only has enough compression to (barely) run and makes a mere 25-35 hp, depending on the model 😂 Sorta like an old Dodge/Chrysler Slant 6...or the leaning tower of power, as I like to call them!

That said...this makes me want to get back to work on my grandaddy's old '55 Ferguson TO-35. After some cleaning, I discovered the original transmission paint was green, meaning it was part of a rare-ish, '55 green belly! I always thought that was really cool!

Looks complete and is that a tool box on the fender? Is it a front mount distributor? Make sure you turn the fuel off when you park it overnight or longer.

That is a tool box on the fender. :)

And is front mount distributor. The previous owner grew frustrated with the tractor as it kept getting harder and harder to start. Sometimes it would work flawless and sometimes it wouldn’t even start. But once started, ran great. He gave up and bought something else. So now it’s my turn to be frustrated.

But, I figure for $800 if I can get it running a few times a year it’s well worth it for not having to remove the back hoe from my Kubota every time I want to drag the driveway or use the bush hog. Minimal cost to take a chance on a 2nd tractor for basic rear implements.

8-10 years ago it had been gone through and was in a local/private museum. Previous owner bought it and put it to work logging about 500 hours on it. It has some signs of use but overall is in pretty good shape. Paint is pretty decent and has some new parts on it. I’m pleased with the purchase.

Hard to tear up something when it only has enough compression to (barely) run and makes a mere 25-35 hp, depending on the model 😂
8N's tested at 22hp, and 9N's at 16hp on the Nebraska tractor test. Massey 35's were 31-32hp. All of them are darn good looking tractors. There's a reason I have a Massey 35. ;)

That is a tool box on the fender. :)

And is front mount distributor. The previous owner grew frustrated with the tractor as it kept getting harder and harder to start. Sometimes it would work flawless and sometimes it wouldn’t even start. But once started, ran great. He gave up and bought something else. So now it’s my turn to be frustrated.

But, I figure for $800 if I can get it running a few times a year it’s well worth it for not having to remove the back hoe from my Kubota every time I want to drag the driveway or use the bush hog. Minimal cost to take a chance on a 2nd tractor for basic rear implements.

8-10 years ago it had been gone through and was in a local/private museum. Previous owner bought it and put it to work logging about 500 hours on it. It has some signs of use but overall is in pretty good shape. Paint is pretty decent and has some new parts on it. I’m pleased with the purchase.
If you keep the points/condenser get on the 8n 9n FB page and find the points jig for the front mount distributor. I think that is what it's called. I love mine. Once I get the pertonix ignition.

If you keep the points/condenser get on the 8n 9n FB page and find the points jig for the front mount distributor. I think that is what it's called. I love mine. Once I get the pertonix ignition.

I haven’t even really looked at it yet to see what the issue is. Seems like upgrading from points would be a decent option if available.

I haven’t even really looked at it yet to see what the issue is. Seems like upgrading from points would be a decent option if available.
petronix....<$100 last tiem i bought one.

Hollar if I can help but I'm sure you can figure it out. They are stupid simple.
petronix....<$100 last tiem i bought one.
Yes Mine was about 107 after taxes and all.

Hollar if I can help but I'm sure you can figure it out. They are stupid simple.

Yes Mine was about 107 after taxes and all.

Source? I find that apparently NAPA has a lot of these parts but my napa is hit or miss with knowledge and ability

Back