Rockcity's small dozer shenanigans

1 hour and $60 in parts is still cheaper than a $150k new dozer. :D

Well believe it or not, the IP has been replaced by Performance Diesel in Albemarle and includes the plastic crappy ring elimination kit.

I may just have a clogged return line check valve, probably from some random debris in a 40 year old piece of equipment. So, better than expected. :)

Ha, yeah; it’s about right.

And I didn’t even post about the dozer cutting off halfway in my brush pile I was currently burning and not able to restart while I figured out the fuel issue. :lol:
🫂 Glad you finally decided to join us...

And I didn’t even post about the dozer cutting off halfway in my brush pile I was currently burning and not able to restart while I figured out the fuel issue. :lol:

Been there done that. I can't remember if I got mine started or if I pulled it backwards with something else, that was a few years ago. It has a new injection pump, a cleaned fuel tank, and an extra fuel filter. Just bad I don't want to pay $5/gallon for 50+ gallons of diesel so I can fill it up....

Been there done that. I can't remember if I got mine started or if I pulled it backwards with something else, that was a few years ago. It has a new injection pump, a cleaned fuel tank, and an extra fuel filter. Just bad I don't want to pay $5/gallon for 50+ gallons of diesel so I can fill it up....

Mine doesn’t have brakes, so it’s pretty easy to pull backwards if absolutely necessary. :lol:

When I finally got my dozer and brought it to my property, I pulled the truck/trailer about 40ft into the driveway and unloaded it. Backed the dozer off the trailer, hopped off to fold the trailer ramps up, and it died. Walked over to recrank it and at least pull it forward because it was partially blocking my new neighbors driveway (this was like 2007-2008ish, I had only owned the property a couple months, barely knew the people). It turned over, hit, and died a few times. Of course the battery is sounding a bit weak too at this point :rolleyes: Sumbitch was outta fuel. Blocking my truck and trailer in my driveway AND blocking my neighbors driveway. :shaking: This was the first "real" diesel I ever owned, and did not self prime. Took me about an hour to get ahold of my dad and get him to bring me some fuel. Then took us about another hour to find the handpump to prime it. Then another 30 minutes of fiddling with throttle and primer and starting and waiting for the jumper cables to charge. Also, first 24 volt system, so had to figure out how to jump that. Finally, after about 3hrs, got her going, and swore I'd never run it out of fuel again.

maury-that-was-a-lie.gif

My cousin brought over his backhoe when we cleared my lot and burned the debris. Steering ram was leaking and squirting into the fire every time he pushed up a pile...

When I finally got my dozer and brought it to my property, I pulled the truck/trailer about 40ft into the driveway and unloaded it. Backed the dozer off the trailer, hopped off to fold the trailer ramps up, and it died. Walked over to recrank it and at least pull it forward because it was partially blocking my new neighbors driveway (this was like 2007-2008ish, I had only owned the property a couple months, barely knew the people). It turned over, hit, and died a few times. Of course the battery is sounding a bit weak too at this point :rolleyes: Sumbitch was outta fuel. Blocking my truck and trailer in my driveway AND blocking my neighbors driveway. :shaking: This was the first "real" diesel I ever owned, and did not self prime. Took me about an hour to get ahold of my dad and get him to bring me some fuel. Then took us about another hour to find the handpump to prime it. Then another 30 minutes of fiddling with throttle and primer and starting and waiting for the jumper cables to charge. Also, first 24 volt system, so had to figure out how to jump that. Finally, after about 3hrs, got her going, and swore I'd never run it out of fuel again.

View attachment 386316

Oh gawd! How do you even jump start a 24v system aside from a 24v jump box or wiring up a couple batteries?

This Case 450 did something similar. It originally died in the brush pile that was on fire. Figured it was out of fuel since it was the first time I had run it and it already looked low. Poured some in and it hit and backed it up and was done. The next day I poured another 5 gallons in just to be sure it was good for the day and got started in the driveway. Of course, it died again in the middle of the driveway, crooked so I couldn’t pull it out of the way, and wouldn’t restart. Had to put the truck in 4x4 to get close enough to jump it and it wouldn’t start. And the dozer had blocked me in and my phone was dead so I couldn’t call for reinforcements. Was getting dark and contemplated walking a 1/2 mile home. But was too stubborn to walk and tinkered with the fuel line and realized the IP was over pressure and cutting itself off. Released return line pressure and cleaned the check valve and all was well after that (so far). Let’s say the learning curve has been pretty steep! :D

That’s still 12V unless you wired them together, then you’d be making the truck systems 24V, which isn’t good.
Positive and negative of each truck battery to Positive and negative of each doser battery so you're in parallel with each but still in series with each other, right?

Used to do it every Monday with one of our old powerstroke work trucks. It would usually start overnight but not after sitting over the weekend. I'd park my truck in front and grab the parts runner truck for the second.

Oh gawd! How do you even jump start a 24v system aside from a 24v jump box or wiring up a couple batteries?
Most 24v systems consist of two 12v batteries. So you disconnect the series jumper in the middle, charge one, reconnect, and jump on the other. You could even charge both with a 12v system if you have 2 sets of jumper cables.

And if anyone needs some 24v Cat HID lights, I just realized I have some that don't work on anything I own anymore...

Most 24v systems consist of two 12v batteries. So you disconnect the series jumper in the middle, charge one, reconnect, and jump on the other. You could even charge both with a 12v system if you have 2 sets of jumper cables.

And if anyone needs some 24v Cat HID lights, I just realized I have some that don't work on anything I own anymore...

You don't have to disconnect the jumper in the middle to charge each battery. If you have two 12v chargers you can charge both batteries without disconnecting anything. Same as if jumping with two sets of cables and two separate trucks, connect each truck to one battery.

Harbor freight actually sells a 12/24v jump box. Since the majority of things I own are 24v I bought one, it has been a lifesaver many times.

Last edited:
I
That’s still 12V unless you wired them together, then you’d be making the truck systems 24V, which isn’t good.

Yes it is, but 80% of the time its enough to start the machine. You dont change any wiring but you only hook the cables to one battery. I have started 24v vehicles and machines dozens of times like this

@rockcity

At least we figured out the fuel cutoff cable wasn't retracted when we went to unload it 😂 We were starting to get concerned!

I

Yes it is, but 80% of the time its enough to start the machine. You dont change any wiring but you only hook the cables to one battery. I have started 24v vehicles and machines dozens of times like this
this.
dont worry with disconnecting the jumper. Just hookit up to one battery

this.
CUCVs are wired like this, too. 12v and 24v running side by side.

A very bastardized and finicky system, at that....but damn, doesn't a 24 volt starter fire something up WAY faster! :D

So are all of the LMTV series trucks. Found that out in Iraq. Never been around em and we got one to drive on convoys to bring supplies to our little shit hole. Head light went out so we grabbed one out of a HMMWV that was scrap. It was dim as hell. Couldn’t figure it out till a mechanic buddy of mine said the HMMWV is straight 24v and the LMTV is a split system.

A very bastardized and finicky system, at that....but damn, doesn't a 24 volt starter fire something up WAY faster! :D
My recollection is that there are two separate 12v alternators (one for each battery), but I can't remember for certain.

You don't have to disconnect the jumper in the middle to charge each battery.
Hell, I never did, but I figured if I left that out, some a-hole would come along and tell me how the weaker battery was discharging the other one. :D

Hell, I never did, but I figured if I left that out, some a-hole would come along and tell me how the weaker battery was discharging the other one. :D

No need to worry about that here. There are no a-holes on nc4x4. Well, except for that one guy....

Back