Rockcity's small dozer shenanigans

It’s pretty neat. Has a coupler from the engine to transmission with multiple V grooves for running various implements and attachments, such as a mower deck, hydraulic pump for hydraulics, a huge circular saw for firewood processing, and many other things. This one has a Hy-Lo-Jeep hydraulic unit for operating a snow plow.

There is a clutch that looks a lot like a driveline disconnect and uses a Dana rear end with portal boxes. The brakes are hand operated for each of the rear wheels.

This one originally came with a 14hp Kohler that also had a front pulley for a front PTO with an electric clutch to engage it. Seems that through the years my uncle replaced it with a modern Kohler.

Rear tires are probably ready to be replaced. Probably try and find some r14 tires for it so it doesn’t tear up the yard like r4 tires would.

I’d love to find a belly mower for it. There were also some FELs made for it but with my other tractors, the FEL may be unnecessary.

I do need to make an adapter for the rear to operate one of my box blades for some light driveway grading. And some other attachments, such as a rake, small disc, aerator, etc.
you can probably find an adapter for a front pto. to use that motor. ive found several different ones while looking for my simplicity i would imagine there is a Kohler one as well. i had a Kohler that had a front and rear electric pto on it before i scrapped 99% of the mowers at my place.

you can probably find an adapter for a front pto. to use that motor. ive found several different ones while looking for my simplicity i would imagine there is a Kohler one as well. i had a Kohler that had a front and rear electric pto on it before i scrapped 99% of the mowers at my place.

I’m sure there is. The original engine was a Kohler, so I know they made one at one point. Or I could find a refurbished original engine and put it back in and be golden. Or, run a mid PTO with one of the spare V belt grooves at the coupler to the clutch.

I would like to find an electric clutch for the hydraulic pump so it’s not always running to hopefully extend the life of the hydraulic system.

It’s pretty neat. Has a coupler from the engine to transmission with multiple V grooves for running various implements and attachments, such as a mower deck, hydraulic pump for hydraulics, a huge circular saw for firewood processing, and many other things. This one has a Hy-Lo-Jeep hydraulic unit for operating a snow plow.

There is a clutch that looks a lot like a driveline disconnect and uses a Dana rear end with portal boxes. The brakes are hand operated for each of the rear wheels.

This one originally came with a 14hp Kohler that also had a front pulley for a front PTO with an electric clutch to engage it. Seems that through the years my uncle replaced it with a modern Kohler.

Rear tires are probably ready to be replaced. Probably try and find some r14 tires for it so it doesn’t tear up the yard like r4 tires would.

I’d love to find a belly mower for it. There were also some FELs made for it but with my other tractors, the FEL may be unnecessary.

I do need to make an adapter for the rear to operate one of my box blades for some light driveway grading. And some other attachments, such as a rake, small disc, aerator, etc.
The one rotting away has a belly mower. I can only imagine the shape it's in though. I can check it out the next time I'm over there, if i remember

You can send her my way...as long as she has her own money 😅 A guy can dream, right?

Tinkered on the ole 8n recently. Rather than getting frustrated, I just went ahead and did the petronix electronic ignition upgrade. In the process I found a broken spring on the mechanical advance as well as some pretty worn bushings. Replaced those and did the ignition and new coil plugs. Once I realized I needed to turn the main air/fuel screw on the carb she fired right up and ran and drove pretty dang well before I ran out of fuel.

Now just need to tinker with the carb to get the high rpm’s where they need to be as they seem lower than I’d expect from a gas engine. Maybe 2500 rpm or so is my guess. Probably should get an electronic rpm gauge and engage the PTO and measure to be sure.

@rockcity does it have a marvel carb or a Chinese copy?
Not sure. It was new-ish when I bought the tractor. Previous owner got frustrated with trying to get it started and running right and threw a bunch of parts at it, carb included. Turns out the problem with starting and running decent was probably the broken mechanical advance spring I found.

Here is the carb. Not sure if that screen shot from my video helps ID it or not.
098B931F-891B-45AC-9A2B-C10159CF1E3A.png

Can’t tell from that but the purist swear the Chinese are not as good as the Marvel. mine has an Amazon Chinese knock off and the slightest incline makes it sputter and struggle.

Back