Rockwell 2 1/2 Info Thread

What does getting up to 30 mph have to do with pinion brakes?

It's a rough number I came up with and also what some Ag tires are rated up to. Did you miss the discussion on why pinion brakes are bad on the street? I need to know if they can survive a short road trip at something a little more than crawl speed.

Oh! Why didn't you say you wanted to stop after doing 30mph :lol:

OK my first hand experiance........

Pinion brakes IMO do just fine on the street for stopping after a short run. Now going down a long hill they may fade slightly if you use them the whole way but, I usually downshift (automatic) and let the engine do its job. I rode with george to tellico and we drove from Crawfords to the trails several times and back wide open. No problems at all.

So yes, you will be fine for longer distances with pinion brakes.
Mine work better than what I had on my 60's

i don't think budget and rockwells go together unless your budget is about 10K+

just curious, why doesn't anyone use the brakes that come on the rockwells? If they were designed to stop the big heavy trucks they came stock on, surely they can handle your rig?

And what about air brakes?

someone correct me if I am wrong but you have to run 20 inch wheels to clear the drums I beleive. My axles already had brakes off when I got them so I don't know to much about the factory brakes. They are also heavy from what I have heard about 50 pounds per wheel I believe.

I didin't say anything in reference to them being more expensive than 1tons. I agree they are cheaper than tons that is why I chose them for my truck. I was just asuming from what he said he was thinking that he could swap his axles out to rockwells for a couple thousand dollars. It was wrong of me to assume that. I was exagerating with the 10K figure but it sure isn't cheap to build anything wether it be 1tons or 2 1/2 tons. I thought I could build mine for 8K but I have already spent 14K and will probably take another 8k before it is done. But anyway don't you run the factory brakes on yours ricky? I thought I remembered you wanting the factory brakes back after getting rid of them so you could run them. I would run pinion brakes if your not planning on driving it on the road. they can be done for about $150

I didin't say anything in reference to them being more expensive than 1tons. I agree they are cheaper than tons that is why I chose them for my truck. I was just asuming from what he said he was thinking that he could swap his axles out to rockwells for a couple thousand dollars. It was wrong of me to assume that. I was exagerating with the 10K figure but it sure isn't cheap to build anything wether it be 1tons or 2 1/2 tons. I thought I could build mine for 8K but I have already spent 14K and will probably take another 8k before it is done. But anyway don't you run the factory brakes on yours ricky? I thought I remembered you wanting the factory brakes back after getting rid of them so you could run them. I would run pinion brakes if your not planning on driving it on the road. they can be done for about $150

I have pinion brakes, they work good but yea I was thinkin bout going back to the stock brakes if i drove it on the road, but I'm not planning on trying to road drive it anytime soon, I don't have any tires that are streetable anyway.

Although I did do a little bit of road driving this weekend when my Z## broke down for the second time while trying to tow the jeep to the Sparta NC Mud bog and i just unloaded the Jeep and drove it down the road to the Fairgrounds since I was just up the road. Tractor tires drive amazingly smooth on the road :driver::Rockon:, didn't have issues with the pinion brakes either but it wasn't a far drive.

Last time I checked that was about $500 per wheel. Sorry, that kinda kills the idea of a budget build.
no doubt . but its still useful information for someone looking to buy that kind of stuff. not in my budget for sure.:beer:

hey jrraw23, would you be kind enough to pm me a list of parts you used for your pinion brake setup, and maybe a pic. thanks

bracket just generic for the yota callipers you can get from rockwell parts sites, braket bolts to the diff housing some brackets go all the way around mine bolt in three places i think, I'll see if i can snap a pic later.

Just call MUD!!

IMG_0326.190184101_std.JPG

IMG_0341.190184236_std.JPG

ARB now offers their locker for rockwells. its probably old news to some but you can read about them in the new issue of petersens 4wheel & off-road jan.09

Anybody who wants to flip the chunk around I now have a good template you can borrow instead of buying a gasket.

I cut the top off a chunk I had laying around so now it's just the mounting flange. So now you'll have a good 1/2" of metal to guide you or use this for the center punchs/screw in punches.

Free to borrow, just bring it back because it was a pain to cut the top off.

Scott

Back