Scenic Offroad Drives

ABadJeeper said:
What do you mean by more interesting than you want. Like trails you might have to use 4wd or what. I'm interested.

Last time I went, few creek crossings, not bad, couple of steep spots that I saw a gentleman flip his truck on. Rough ruts at one point in time, but it's been a couple of years. Pisgah has more than any 18 miles of gravel road, he's speaking of the primary travel route.

I
Last time I went, few creek crossings, not bad, couple of steep spots that I saw a gentleman flip his truck on. Rough ruts at one point in time, but it's been a couple of years. Pisgah has more than any 18 miles of gravel road, he's speaking of the primary travel route.

I'd love to know where these are at if they are legal. This is what I'm looking for to add a little spice to the mix of a day in the mountains.

Maple Sally road, aka the dirt dragon. Watch out for dual sporters please. There are a lot of fantastic fs roads off of 181 and down toward the Wilson creek area. I was dual sporting on one a year or so ago that looked like hadn't been travelled for a while and would have made a pretty nice beginner jeep trail. Sadly I don't remember the number. I was covering a lot of ground rather quickly that day.

Maple Sally road, aka the dirt dragon. Watch out for dual sporters please. There are a lot of fantastic fs roads off of 181 and down toward the Wilson creek area. I was dual sporting on one a year or so ago that looked like hadn't been travelled for a while and would have made a pretty nice beginner jeep trail. Sadly I don't remember the number. I was covering a lot of ground rather quickly that day.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ox5k5

I wonder if it is open to vehicles?

Yep!

Ivestor Gap Trail begins as a roadbed which is open to motor vehicles from mid-August until January 2; however, it is highly recommended that only high-clearance, 4-wheel-drive vehicles attempt to negotiate it, as the trail surface is rocky and rough for the first two miles.

Yep!

Ivestor Gap Trail begins as a roadbed which is open to motor vehicles from mid-August until January 2; however, it is highly recommended that only high-clearance, 4-wheel-drive vehicles attempt to negotiate it, as the trail surface is rocky and rough for the first two miles.

That is on my fall trip list!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That is also called FS187 that I posted above with map and pictures. I can see it called the dirt dragon. I was going pretty slow (5-20mph), did run into one group of bikers on the road when I was there. Lots of blind curves.

That is also called FS187 that I posted above with map and pictures. I can see it called the dirt dragon. I was going pretty slow (5-20mph), did run into one group of bikers on the road when I was there. Lots of blind curves.
Hmm. I actually didn't know it is 187. I just know where to turn to get to it. You can cover a lot of ground on a dual sport up there and it almost feels like you're breaking the law. Kinda like I did as a kid riding dirt bikes on the roads in wv. Good times.

13 Bullets tagged us at Linville Falls!!

We had a good day. Got lost, saw lots of animals and had a good time!

PS. If you guys could try to stay on topic and provide some detail of the rides you're describing, that would be great.

The area the road is in, directions to it, a description of it's difficulty, how long it takes to traverse etc. Even a map and pics like Telemike included.

I'd like this thread to be a resource for everyone here on NC4x4.

Quit giving away my secrets! My parents have a camper north of Collettsville off highway 90, and I keep having this vision of spending a couple days up there riding dual sports on all the gravel roads and crashing in the camper every night.

Quit giving away my secrets! My parents have a camper north of Collettsville off highway 90, and I keep having this vision of spending a couple days up there riding dual sports on all the gravel roads and crashing in the camper every night.
Sorry Matt LOL. I don't think it's that big of a secret anymore. A few days of riding up there would be awesome. I always hate leaving after 1 day.

I'd love to have enough roads for 2 full days of travel.Not seeing the same sights twice.Ole nellie Belle...top off and windshield down.Pulling the M416 loaded with gear and food...camping for 2 nights in 2 different locations...late sept.early october

Like Shawn said Ivestor Gap is not worth driving very far for, I usually run it about once a year. It's just a rough road that will beat your teeth out and dead ends, there isn't any real challenging spots.

Last edited:
Took the family out for a nice drive yesterday. We hit Maple Sally Rd (FS187). We took our time and stopped several times to take in the scenery and have a picnic lunch.

Saw a little bit of wildlife along the way....black snake sunning himself in the road, several squirrels, lots of birds, deer and the best was a mountain lion!

We have already decided to go back sometime in the Fall to look at the changing leaves.

I really love this part of NC there are so many back roads and FS roads you could spend days just wandering around.

:driver:

Back