Scenic Offroad Drives

I recently drove old roper mtn to the end ,You will be shocked where it ends. Gates where open I turned around when I realized I was inside the south mtn. state park
IMG_20180725_141730306.jpg

IMG_20180725_141856761.jpg

I want to drive some of these roads you guys are posting about some day.

Has anybody driven "Pack Hill Rd" in Blowing Rock to Upton Place in Globe? It looks like it connects but I can't tell. Google says it doesn't and Bing says it does. Seems like it could be worth a shot.

Has anybody driven "Pack Hill Rd" in Blowing Rock to Upton Place in Globe? It looks like it connects but I can't tell. Google says it doesn't and Bing says it does. Seems like it could be worth a shot.
Looking at satellite view I gonna so no

IIRC, it doesnt. But a couple chainsaws could change that.......

I recently drove old roper mtn to the end ,You will be shocked where it ends. Gates where open I turned around when I realized I was inside the south mtn. state park
View attachment 288306
View attachment 288307

We used to access CCC Rd through pine mtn, been a long time since I’ve been to the top. My dad still has property in the “resort” Used to be some trails in there. Some got close to the SMP property though. There is 30 miles of paved private rd inside pine mtn, it’s worth driving from time to time. The top of pine mtn (Buzzards Roost) connects to the very back road inside the resort by a mostly unmaintained dirt rd.

yeah my wife and i tried to run old house gap road about 2 weeks ago and the washed out muddy section made me turn around in my stock explorer. if it was dead dry i think we could go around on the high side. how was it further on up the trail? we went in at gregs prong right at the bridge. maple grove church grove rd filled the need.
A group of us drove old house gap Saturday. In the washout if you got into the ruts on the low side it was winch time. Even the guys with lifts and big tires. If you can stay on the high side it’s no problem. But it’s banking makes it so if it is slick you’ll slide down it if it is at all slick. I’d recommend driving on dry days or plan to winch.

After the wash out was rocky but nothing more difficult than the section just before. At the half way point (another mile or so) the road turns into a decent gravel road a car could go down.

12 trucks went down the trail that morning. 5 or more practically stock. Including an x5 with just standard sized off road tires.

The traffic jam is just after the washout. Making sure everyone made it through. The parking is at the start of the simple gravel road.

Attachments

• 72CF956C-F79B-4937-BB01-295C90B66280.jpeg
    72CF956C-F79B-4937-BB01-295C90B66280.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 265
  • FCE72FAF-B4CD-424B-BC5E-971628959204.jpeg
    FCE72FAF-B4CD-424B-BC5E-971628959204.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 249
A group of us drove old house gap Saturday. In the washout if you got into the ruts on the low side it was winch time. Even the guys with lifts and big tires. If you can stay on the high side it’s no problem. But it’s banking makes it so if it is slick you’ll slide down it if it is at all slick. I’d recommend driving on dry days or plan to winch.

After the wash out was rocky but nothing more difficult than the section just before. At the half way point (another mile or so) the road turns into a decent gravel road a car could go down.

12 trucks went down the trail that morning. 5 or more practically stock. Including an x5 with just standard sized off road tires.

The traffic jam is just after the washout. Making sure everyone made it through. The parking is at the start of the simple gravel road.

I use to drive that road on a regular basis, it use to be a loop before they gated they yancy ridge side. It's been 3-4 years since I have driven it, but it's crazy to think a winch would be required now. I dont remember ever using 4x4 , even when extremely wet. Looks like its gotten to be a lot more fun.

For anyone who might care,

I needed to get out of the house today. Decided to ride down to roseboro and come back up this road (old house gap).
Its definitely a little more rutted than it use to be. If it was really wet, there would be one section that would be a challenge for a unmodified truck.
And somehow I managed to pinstrip my truck in that section.

Hey all, new here. Looked and didn't see any posts newer than this one, but has anyone been up Old House Gap in late 2020 or 2021 yet? I'm headed to the area to do some camping and fly fishing in early April. I've been all over Linville Gorge area and Wilson's Creek, but never made it to OHG. Any word of recent conditions. I've got a mostly stock 2019 Titan on Falken 33's and a 2" front spacer. I have some recover tracks, on board air, straps, ect... but no winch yet. Would I be a fool to attempt this track? Thanks!!

I ran OHG 2 weeks ago. It’s more rough than last year, but you can probably get a stock vehicle through it (esp if you have another vehicle to help out)

A titan is a little on the large side to get through there but you can probably make it.

Did some cool exploring yesterday. Left my house in Todd and rode up to Pond Mtn game lands, then took some single lane dirt farm roads out to Whitetop VA. Found some remnants of natural snow, which is crazy because even the ski resorts are winding down.

From Whitetop followed the approximate route of the Creeper trail to Damascus, came back thru Mtn City and had barbecue at Mikes. All in all a cool day of riding around in the high country.

4CF891BF-2278-4AFD-AE83-B49FE9F32DDA.jpeg
EE796285-6D1D-4501-B3FA-198866C59861.jpeg
9FD4DEC9-C7B0-42BE-9A14-DD24A80D4488.jpeg
BFDAC9E2-30A4-463E-BB90-523D44343A37.jpeg

Back