Scenic Offroad Drives

I did not see any animals on fs187 :-( I plan on going back when the leaves change color

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We had the place to ourselves except for a couple of loggers cleaning up some of the downed timber.

Couldn't have asked for a better day!

I looked in my book of maps and found it.You can access it by coming off of Edgmont Rd. southeast of Grandfather Mountain.Closest communtitee is Gragg.Actually it looks like it comes out at Roseborough.

I looked in my book of maps and found it.You can access it by coming off of Edgmont Rd. southeast of Grandfather Mountain.Closest communtitee is Gragg.Actually it looks like it comes out at Roseborough.

Is this listed as the jeep trail on google maps?
There is one listed off of Edgemont that links over to Old House Gap Rd.

Thanks. I'm gonna try and find it this weekend. I couldn't find it on Google Maps. I just hope it isn't one of the roads the FS has gated and closed. I went cruising around off the BRP yesterday out west of Ashville and I couldn't believe how many two track trails were gated and locked. I imagine years ago there were a lot of nice trails to ride.

Ok just so you guys don't think I'm trying to turn this thread into a different direction ill start out with adding two roads. Peppers creek runs from North Cove in McDowell across from Baxter's up behind Walmart in spruce pine it's not very long but its all gravel has some killer views and its a nice way to get up to the BRP. And then Curtis creek goes from old fort up to the parkway its about 10 miles mostly gravel very scenic and a few nice streams run next to it. Ok so my question is about Sampson road this is the first I have heard about it and I'm wandering what to expect is it like 105? Looking at it on Google maps it looks like I can get to it straight off parkway is this correct or do I need to access it differently? Thanks and great thread idea I love all of our gravel roads and Forrest service roads we have to offer sometimes you just have to know where to look.

Ok just so you guys don't think I'm trying to turn this thread into a different direction ill start out with adding two roads. Peppers creek runs from North Cove in McDowell across from Baxter's up behind Walmart in spruce pine it's not very long but its all gravel has some killer views and its a nice way to get up to the BRP. And then Curtis creek goes from old fort up to the parkway its about 10 miles mostly gravel very scenic and a few nice streams run next to it. Ok so my question is about Sampson road this is the first I have heard about it and I'm wandering what to expect is it like 105? Looking at it on Google maps it looks like I can get to it straight off parkway is this correct or do I need to access it differently? Thanks and great thread idea I love all of our gravel roads and Forrest service roads we have to offer sometimes you just have to know where to look.

Sampson / Richlands isn't maintained at all. 105 is maintained by the state as far as I know. I'd say Sampson road is more like some of the trails at URE than a standard Forest Service Road. There are a few streams to cross and some rocks to climb on the trail. It's not very technical but it is not like driving on a standard FS Gravel Road. I saw cars on 105 and there is no way you are getting a car on Sampson or Richlands Rd. Well maybe but it's gonna get messed up.

On the north end, you can get to samspon/Richland from the Parkway, or pretty close. Maybe one road in between. We usually travel up the hill, to the north towards the BRP.

Ok thanks a bunch sounds awesome can't wait to get the xj up a bit and go exploring

Well yesterday the wife and I went up and drove hurricane creek, then to max patch, walked the dog up and enjoyed the views. Then down the mountain into Tenn. and back to Asheville and back home. 400 or so miles round trip, good day out.

While at Hurricane Creek we are out letting the dog play in the creek by the camping spot and we turn and see a new VW Jetta wagon coming down the trail!
Poor guy was from Georgia and said his GPS had told him to turn and head down the "road". He had already flatten one tire, ripped off all plastic under body panels, punched a hole into his washer fluid bottle, dented rockers and bumpers and that's just what he had noticed.

So I tell him we would follow him down the rest of the way to make sure he made it out.
THIS GUY WAS FLYING DOWN THE TRAIL!
By the time I was turned around and back through the creek he was GONE!
My wife asked after a few minutes and a few turn-off trails passed if I thought he might of made a wrong turn? We finally catch him right before the deepest creek crossing walking back to his car after checking the ledge. I was impressed that the VW made it down and didn't get stuck but I guess you can't get stuck if your keeping momentum up and driving like a rally driver lol.
So we follow him to the cabins and turn around and head back up.

Yeah I know Cool Story Bro but it was a good day up in the mountains.

I used to ride in the south mountains here in morganton. We used to go across on roper hollow rd to enola rd. I know the state bought a lot of the area the road went through and blocked it off, but does anyone know if you can still get to golden valley from there? There were some awesome side trails on that route too. I have not been there in like 10 years or more, so I do not know what is still open.

ok,it's the first of August.Tryin my damnedness to get Nellie in shape and back together by labor day to shake out the cobwebs and check her systems out.Been alot of rain this summer and flooding along creeks and rivers up that way.I want to plan a trip for some of us down here sometime around the first part of october.Anybody wanna do a weekend as a guide for us flatlanders? I'm trying to locate us a place around Lincolnton to park our tow rigs safe and secure. Lookin to arrive friday evenin...camping over nite...ride all day sat....camp someplace else sat. night...ride part the day on sunday...then leave to come home that afternoon or camp at friday night's spot and then come home on monday. Make it more an expedition type of ride. The more the merrier. What say ye? Game fer it?

August 17th, some of us Expedition Portal members are meeting in Wilkesboro and heading down some back roads

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Forest road 187 in Pisgah National Forest North Carolina.
Amazing 18 mile long one lane dirt road that follows a Ridge line. Lots of twists and turns, going up and down and all around. Some great overlooks on the mountains. Only saw some bikers, couple trucks logging and a lost minivan.

The route:

http://goo.gl/maps/cTR6x

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_a9uvabah.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_ju2utabe.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_a6a2eryb.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_qa8u2yzu.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_5ega7y3u.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_06_02_qe4yraju.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php
Please note this road has HEAVY TRAFFIC during bear hunting season. Please be aware of empty trucks with dog boxes. This route is also known as Maple Sally on the lower end, and Maple Grove on the upper end.

August 17th, some of us Expedition Portal members are meeting in Wilkesboro and heading down some back roads

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
tell me more of your trip.What time and where ya'll are meeting.How long of a drive.Etc

Back