School bus conversion/crawler hauler

I'm gonna take out all but four windows an insulate the walls

It'll get pretty "dungeon-esk" during the day without a few more windows and even FL lights will generate heat... why not limo tint them to block the heat during the day and some velcro curtains for night/private time? Assuming you plan to insulate the roof too?

Ok, now I am on Craigslist! ! And I am thinking. ........can the floor support a rig???like a toyota???

Well after pouring through Craigslist, finding a good deal, cleaning up and taking pictures of our current pop up camper, I announced to my wife today " we are gonna sell the camper and buy a bus " I then proceeded to explain all the benefits of it versus having a trailer as I spouted on and on like a genius. She said " Nope" and explained to me the shop and yard full of unfinished projects ....Looks like I will continue to live vicariously through your thread. Nice looking build man !!

It'll get pretty "dungeon-esk" during the day without a few more windows and even FL lights will generate heat... why not limo tint them to block the heat during the day and some velcro curtains for night/private time? Assuming you plan to insulate the roof too?
The majority of them leak an they all rattle like crazy while driving it gets annoying pretty fast. I'm gonna leave windows were the table is gonna be so we can look out them an two close to the bed so we can see out in the am. The roof is insulated so I'm gonna leave it be for now may do something with it later idk yet

Ok, now I am on Craigslist! ! And I am thinking. ........can the floor support a rig???like a toyota???
I would think so mine says it has a payload of 10k pounds so if it would haul 10k pounds of kids why not a yota instead these things are like tanks no thin metal anywhere

Well after pouring through Craigslist, finding a good deal, cleaning up and taking pictures of our current pop up camper, I announced to my wife today " we are gonna sell the camper and buy a bus " I then proceeded to explain all the benefits of it versus having a trailer as I spouted on and on like a genius. She said " Nope" and explained to me the shop and yard full of unfinished projects ....Looks like I will continue to live vicariously through your thread. Nice looking build man !!
Thanks man keep at her hell every redneck needs one of these things in my opinion:rockon:Mine was like what in the world are u gonna do with that I said just sit back an watch u will thank me later lol. Only advantage I have is it sets at the shop an not in the yard or else she woulda flipped out

Made some covers for the emergency exits an got a counter top
image.jpg
image.jpg

So I am thinking cut the back off and park a rig inside, think it's possible looking at yours?

Here's other questions I've had for years...

It appears that:
  • Most "intra-city" buses are limited to 35MPH?
  • Those that touch/operate in more rural areas 45MPH?
  • Some "Activity Buses" can dance around the 60-65MPH mark?
Are these speeds actually controlled by governors (IIRC, in the MDT world, it's a setting in the ECM)? Or something else, like rear axle gearing?

We've all passed countless buses & redneck conversions floundering along at <55MPH with the engine screaming and frankly, that has zero appeal to me!
Will it even do 65-70MPH?

How long is the bus? Doesn't look full length in the pics. Also, just noticed you are in Hickory. I need to check this thing out sometime. Ive wanted to build one myself, and having the wife see one that's nice inside might help that along.

The insides get small fairly quick, so doing this will limit your "RV".

Here's other questions I've had for years...

It appears that:
  • Most "intra-city" buses are limited to 35MPH?
  • Those that touch/operate in more rural areas 45MPH?
  • Some "Activity Buses" can dance around the 60-65MPH mark?
Are these speeds actually controlled by governors (IIRC, in the MDT world, it's a setting in the ECM)? Or something else, like rear axle gearing?

We've all passed countless buses & redneck conversions floundering along at <55MPH with the engine screaming and frankly, that has zero appeal to me!
Will it even do 65-70MPH?

I think most of these buses were also gas. Big difference in the SBC buses and diesels. Also, I believe most of these buses are all mechanical, so removing a governor shouldn't be too bad. I know Chip used to tow with a bus, he might know. @upnover

Mine is not a full length bus its in between a full length an a short bus. I wanted the midsize bus so it would be easier towing a trailer an I didn't wanna cut one an shortin It to put the crawler on the back because it wouldn't have enough room on the rv side of it. Plus when I'm not towing with it I will be using it for hunting an whatever else. As for the speed mine will run 71-72 on flat or slight incline at 2700rpm. Mine is limited by the engine rpm when it hits 2700 she stops. It surprised the hell out of me an that's with the 545 no overdrive an no lockup converter. Like paradise said the gasser is what's humming along at 55 I'm sure some of the diesels are geared to low though so I got lucky I guess

Last edited:
Could use one of the portable ac units that sit on the floor like they sell at lowes if you don't have a good spot to mount another one. I talked to a guy using one to cool his toyhauler garage space at the beach last year.Said it worked good.

Mine was a SBC, 4 speed tranny and 2 speed rear, had no pull whatsoever. I took it once to Tellico. Took right at 9 hours, which should have been 4-4.5 hours! Was actually stopped in Canton by SHP saying people were calling in saying I was a Nuisance! LOL
62 on down hill and slight inclines were at 25-30 MPH. Old Fort mountain, I was in low side of 2nd gear. I could have trotted faster!
Diesel is the way to go for sure. Not versed on that Detroit, but would like to find a 12V Cummins. Mine was also a med length. Was never a school bus, was activity bus for a summer camp.

Yeah I'm not big on the Detroit myself. In my opinion the best motors to look for are dt466 dt360 t444e an of course the 12v cummins. Dude I bet u thought omg I'm never gonna get to tellico about 5 hours in huh. Did u sell it or u still towing with it?

Built a temporary bunk in the back an futon up front so we could use it last year during hunting season worked great for a temporary setup. Here's a few pics from camp
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's the biggest buck killed last year out of everybody at camp not to bad for sc. An the one only the camera seen he just wouldn't come out an play
image.jpg
image.jpg

This stuff works really well for as thin as it is. I would line the roof and walls to help keep down the swamp. Cool build, I like it. Those pipes look awesome. Keep up the good work!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13357-56291-BP24025_0__?productId=3011904
X2. I actually glued it to the floor, firewall, and kick panels on my wheeling rig. Put some above the headliner and behind door panels too. It made a noticeable difference in comfort summer and winter on the truggy.

Removed the flashing lights up top on the front an rear an got the Beverly shear out an made some covers for the holes. I took the shades that was up top on the flashing lights an dropped them down over the front turn signals an rear brakes lights. Then we washed it in Ajax an sprayed a little desert tan on to see what it looked like. It covered really well an it was cheap an easy I highly recommend this stuff!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back