School me on the Ford 9"

Unless you're welding the 8.8 (bad idea, carriers break) the jk44 is going to be the same price or a little cheaper for a much stronger assembly.

I request a sample of the herb that you are smoking to think a JK44 is stronger than an 8.8, nor can I see where one is cheaper than the other. JK44's have a shit limited slip in them that eats spiders gears where as the one in the 8.8 I've never seen any issues out of (aside from the one in my old Explorer but that one was self inflicted). Tube diameter of the 8.8 are ~3.25 where as the JK's are still the tiny ass 2.75" tubes which I've seen plenty bent more than once, to this day I've yet to see a bent 8.8 As far as build cost goes both are comparable, the real difference is purchase price. 8.8's are cheap where as now the JK44's are getting stupid with their pricing.

I request a sample of the herb that you are smoking to think a JK44 is stronger than an 8.8, nor can I see where one is cheaper than the other. JK44's have a shit limited slip in them that eats spiders gears where as the one in the 8.8 I've never seen any issues out of (aside from the one in my old Explorer but that one was self inflicted). Tube diameter of the 8.8 are ~3.25 where as the JK's are still the tiny ass 2.75" tubes which I've seen plenty bent more than once, to this day I've yet to see a bent 8.8 As far as build cost goes both are comparable, the real difference is purchase price. 8.8's are cheap where as now the JK44's are getting stupid with their pricing.
33 spl axle is bigger than a 31 spl axle. No c-clip either.

Also, rear 44 housing dia is a bit over 3", not 2.75.

Go look for JK axles from the "overlander" crowd. Lots of deals to be had. Popular consensus is the axles are garbage and can't carry the weight of an RTT, so need to swap to aftermarket housings. They're often missing the outers, but not a big deal.

Tell us more about your c-clip eliminator idea, pls.

33 spl axle is bigger than a 31 spl axle. No c-clip either.

Also, rear 44 housing dia is a bit over 3", not 2.75.

Go look for JK axles from the "overlander" crowd. Lots of deals to be had. Popular consensus is the axles are garbage and can't carry the weight of an RTT, so need to swap to aftermarket housings. They're often missing the outers, but not a big deal.

Tell us more about your c-clip eliminator idea, pls.
3.25" > a bit over 3" last I checked 🤷🏽‍♂️

Also non-rubi Jk Dana 44s are still 30 spline, Rubi's are 32 spline.

Care to share all these "deals" you've seen, because every JK axles pair or individual I've seen in the recent months have all be 4 digit prices. 8.8s even at their highest are $500.

C-clip eliminator on an 8.8 is ~$200 more than chromos for a JK. So boom no more c clips 🤨

I would have definitely liked to see some of those 8.8 priced Jk44 deals before picking these up a few weeks ago.

20221028_115548.jpg

I've wheeled with a ton of 35" tired tjs with 8.8s and have never had one break a shaft. Even if they do, disk brake will hold the shaft in to limp out.

I didn't read the whole thread. How did we go from 9" to 8.8s and 44s? 🤣

Last edited:
No, please elaborate oh wise wizard of offroad aftermarket knowledge 🤣
You're the one advocating for them. If you think they're such a good idea, you should step up and explain why, especially after all the incorrect info you've dropped in here so far.

@Jody Treadway let me know if he texts you wanting to know about c-clip eliminators. :beer:

You could just run stock 8.8 axles on 35’s unless you like playing skinny pedal roulette
I ran an explorer 8.8 for a few years in my TJ before going to tons. With stock shafts and a Detroit locker, no truss, no c-clip eliminator doo dads. Wheeled many parks around here with that setup. Harlan, wind rock, AOP, gulches and of course URE. Even drove it to Moab and back and never gave me any trouble. 8.8's run good with 35's. And you can ask just about anyone here, I'm not shy with the skinny pedal.

You're the one advocating for them. If you think they're such a good idea, you should step up and explain why, especially after all the incorrect info you've dropped in here so far.

@Jody Treadway let me know if he texts you wanting to know about c-clip eliminators. :beer:

So um...what a....what incorrect information was there? Trying to figure this out for myself but google fact checking shows you had more incorrect information with your "33 spl axle" claim

Do you really think I don't know what C-clip eliminators are? 🤨

Also the only info I got wrong was JK tube diameter, go ahead and fact check yourself with your extra google tab open.

Maaaaaaan, since you don't need to keep customers feelings happy, you've become sassy !

I like :D
Na I've just got more time between SolidWorks crashes to look at the forum. That and I think it's hilarious that @shawn seems to think I don't know what a c-clip eliminator is.

Last edited:
Well since we're just throwing shit out anyway...why not a 609? The weight of a D60 with the efficiency loss of a 9" and the cost of both!

Because 14 Bolts exist
I've heard they are 40% stronger because 14 bolts is 40% more than 10 studs. But that's also why they are 40% heavier.

Back