School me on the Ford 9"

You're the one advocating for them. If you think they're such a good idea, you should step up and explain why, especially after all the incorrect info you've dropped in here so far.

@Jody Treadway let me know if he texts you wanting to know about c-clip eliminators. :beer:
So now that I'm no longer pissing off SolidWorks I had a few mins to find some info that furthers the 8.8 vs JK44 discussion.
Screenshot_20221114_194235_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221114_193258_Chrome.jpg

Now keep in mind this shows a standard 44 and not a JK, which has a larger gear set and bearings. Though one could interpolate it to fall somewhere in the realm of a SF60 or a Dana 50 (COT ~1350 lb-ft, MOT ~5250 lb-ft) which is right on par with what an 8.8 is rated at.

So if we make the assumption these are roughly the same strength from a output torque perspective that pulls strength out from the argument. Axle housing strength is debatable and outside of gvwr there's no science of metals way to decern the difference on those. (Hard to find info on these numbers, lots of different nunbers, but the 8.8 is in the 4100 lb range and the jk44 is in the 3500-3700 lb range)

Which moves us to cost, the cheapest JK44 I found was $800 where as the most expensive Ford 8.8 I've found was $400 (both costs found from the good ole FB mkt place).

Build cost (assuming both get derriot lockers, yukon gear sets, yukon mik, and chromo shafts (8.8 being the c-clip eliminator kit)(note these are full blown retail prices off ECGS)
JK D44 ~$1820
Ford 8.8 ~$2070

Based off those cost numbers you'd drop $2620 on the JK44 and $2470. So $150 difference. Not really a large enough difference to sway a decision either way imo.

So like strength, cost works out about the same. Which moves me more so into opinions rather than facts because I don't care enough about this to show production numbers of 8.8s vs JK44's. I see way more 8.8s for sale and I've seen an 8.8 in every trip to the junkyard (yet to ever see a JK44 in the junkyard) so it's safe to say they are more available than JK44s.

I'm tired of typing so I'll leave it at that for now and maybe some others will chime in with some more experience/knowledge. Though I will ask you one question. If JK44s are so great, then why do you see so many 8.8 swaps in TJ's and YJ's rather than your beloved JK44?

So now that I'm no longer pissing off SolidWorks I had a few mins to find some info that furthers the 8.8 vs JK44 discussion.
View attachment 385282
View attachment 385281
Now keep in mind this shows a standard 44 and not a JK, which has a larger gear set and bearings. Though one could interpolate it to fall somewhere in the realm of a SF60 or a Dana 50 (COT ~1350 lb-ft, MOT ~5250 lb-ft) which is right on par with what an 8.8 is rated at.

So if we make the assumption these are roughly the same strength from a output torque perspective that pulls strength out from the argument. Axle housing strength is debatable and outside of gvwr there's no science of metals way to decern the difference on those. (Hard to find info on these numbers, lots of different nunbers, but the 8.8 is in the 4100 lb range and the jk44 is in the 3500-3700 lb range)

Which moves us to cost, the cheapest JK44 I found was $800 where as the most expensive Ford 8.8 I've found was $400 (both costs found from the good ole FB mkt place).

Build cost (assuming both get derriot lockers, yukon gear sets, yukon mik, and chromo shafts (8.8 being the c-clip eliminator kit)(note these are full blown retail prices off ECGS)
JK D44 ~$1820
Ford 8.8 ~$2070

Based off those cost numbers you'd drop $2620 on the JK44 and $2470. So $150 difference. Not really a large enough difference to sway a decision either way imo.

So like strength, cost works out about the same. Which moves me more so into opinions rather than facts because I don't care enough about this to show production numbers of 8.8s vs JK44's. I see way more 8.8s for sale and I've seen an 8.8 in every trip to the junkyard (yet to ever see a JK44 in the junkyard) so it's safe to say they are more available than JK44s.

I'm tired of typing so I'll leave it at that for now and maybe some others will chime in with some more experience/knowledge. Though I will ask you one question. If JK44s are so great, then why do you see so many 8.8 swaps in TJ's and YJ's rather than your beloved JK44?
But why not run till it breaks, it probably won’t on 35’s with a light vehicle like a jeep. They survived towing mini excavators behind ford 300’s in f150s the one I rode in for work as a teen had over 500k with no service done but wheel bearings and pinion seals. Rebuild the lsd in a stock 8.8 with stock 4.10 gears for like 150 all bearings and seals and send it for under a grand

Last edited:
View attachment 385282
View attachment 385281

JK D44 ~$1820
Ford 8.8 ~$2070

So much typing! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Also, note that the JK doesn't need the alloys or the locker, so build cost is only R&P.

Well todays internet cock waggling was a blast! Shall we schedule for same time next week? I’m sure we could relight this dumpster fire for the campers

10 days to type a response and thats the best you got? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 views must be down worse than I thought.

Had to go find another cock to waggle

Back