Scrambled, just like my brain - 81 CJ8 Scrambler

Hope to see you and your family at URE this summer! GL on the build!

Got a few gallons of liner in yesterday. Going to do black on the underbody and spice tan on the interior.
2015-04-02 19.37.33.jpg

Just to jump in here; I saw a Scrambler today, in Charlotte [Downtown/Uptown?]. Danged if I can remember the store it was at. Looked like it just rolled out of the restoration shop, & was near that Firebird Orange!
Anybody know that one?

Got the windshield mounts done. Cut them off of a YJ we had here and sectioned them on. This week we are going to flip the body and fix the captured nuts. Then I can spray the liner and start prepping it for paint.

2015-04-19 19.59.26.jpg

2015-04-19 19.59.40.jpg

Been a long time coming, but slowed down a bit with the move to the new shop and all. Anyway, all the rust repair is finally done and I sprayed the Scorpion liner on the underside. Going to mount the body on the frame this week and then it goes over to @boatedwagon to get the cage built. After that it is ready for body and paint and final assembly!
2015-09-13 17.13.06.jpg

2015-09-13 17.51.41.jpg

2015-09-13 17.51.56.jpg

2015-09-15 21.17.27.jpg

Got all the frame side body mounts done, mounts are sitting and waiting for the body to get dropped on tomorrow night! Don't mind the messy garage, I'm in the process of moving my business stuff to a new shop and this one is a disaster.

IMG_3033.JPG
My '81 was sitting at a shop last week but a little north of Uptown

Had Tarheel regear, locker and 1 piece axles in the rear.

Got some new parts in. Here is the front seat, I am pretty happy with it.
View attachment 183371

And also got a new Omix cowl panel. I am not that impressed with the quality of this panel. The metal is extremely thick but doesn't seem nearly as well put together as most aftermarket panels I have used. It looks like it is going to need a TON of work to make it look straight with paint on it. I may just pirate a YJ tub I have here for the right patches I need.
View attachment 183372
Jeeps weren't all that straight from the factory

I know the updates have been slow here, but I don't make any money working on my own junk. That and I just finished putting the motor in my other car so some things need to be taken care of there too.

But I did buy this to do a motor swap....
IMG_0350.JPG

As much as I like the 6 in the Jeep, it looks pretty nasty inside when I got into it. And I never heard it run and was taking the previous owner's word for it. So, I found a really good running AMC 360 and TF727 in this 85 Waggy and am going to swap that in instead. Because AMC 360.

Once I move some Jeeps out of the way so I can get my trailer down to the door of the shop at the house, I am going to get it over to @boatedwagon to get the cage built. Then when it gets done I am going to bring it up to the big shop and swap in the drivetrain and get it ready for paint! I am going with Sunset Orange Metallic off of a LS1 Trans Am.

Glad you are staying AMC with the motor. I put a 304 in my '81 and leaning towards a 360 for the '82. Can't wait for more updates

Back