should i go bigger?

Well guys and gals the S10 is completely stock only the rear end has been changed it has a blazer rear end with disc brakes and 4.10 gears and a cat back system on it. Thats it. If all of you are worried about the way I tow my stuff i'm guessing that all of you home school your kids because there is no way you would let your kids outside to breath fresh air.Be sure to worry about the drug dealer down the block also
I can not justify spending any money on a tow rig that I would only tow with maybe once a month and let it sit and rot for the other 350 days in a year. I think that is just wasting money or buying something just to be buying it.Just like guys I work with forking out pretty big money every month for a truck to sit and pull a 4500-5500lb camper 2 weekends out of the year.Then complain about not being able to drive it to work and back because gas or fuel cost to much.
If you can't justify having the proper tow vehicle, then you can't afford the hobby. Even if you had an old 1/2 ton truck that was only for towing the rig, you should do it.
But no, you choose to intentionally ignore all the safety warnings and capacities.
Can you get away with it for awhile? Yes. You can be careful, start braking very early for stops, etc. But sooner or later, you'll need to stop quickly, or your trailer is going to blow a tire, and then what?
The tail will be wagging the dog, then.
Been there, done that, with my Tahoe and full-sized drag truck. It wasn't pretty, and I got VERY lucky. And guess what? My Tahoe is a MUCH better and heavier tow vehicle than any S-10, and my truck/trailer at the time very likely didn't weigh much (if any) more than what you tow.
Sorry, but it's not okay to tow with an undersized vehicle just because "you only do it a few weekends a year and can't justify buying the proper truck".
And that claim of an S-10 being classified as a 1/2 ton truck is simply laughable. And a complete lie.

I might hit 77 on the way home.

Not 52 but #8 sounds good also

Sat morning I am leaving out at about 6:30-7:00 am and I will be on 40,85,421,109,220,95 and a few other HIGHWAYS so everyone stay home.
sounds good, i'll be sure to place a call to *hp around that time.:flipoff2:

If all of you are worried about the way I tow my stuff i'm guessing that all of you home school your kids because there is no way you would let your kids outside to breath fresh air.Be sure to worry about the drug dealer down the block also.
that's a stupid analogy. you are willingly and knowlingly putting yourself and other people in danger. if there is any analogy to be drawn here, it's that YOU are like the drug dealer, or the bad kid at school, etc.

I think that is just wasting money or buying something just to be buying it.Just like guys I work with forking out pretty big money every month for a truck to sit and pull a 4500-5500lb camper 2 weekends out of the year.Then complain about not being able to drive it to work and back because gas or fuel cost to much.
this doesn't make any sense. are you telling me a reg. cab/long bed or ext. cab short bed 3/4 ton truck is really that much harder or exspensive to deal with? are you saying aren't any out there to be bought for a similar price to a 94 s10? please.

First of all a 3 year old should not be standing in a moving car truck or even soccer moms mini van. I make all my kids atleast sit down.
Sec. the S10 has a tow rating of 5000lbs my truck and trailer does not weigh over 5000lbs.
Third I wish I was the only person on the road, it would make my drive to and from work alot easier.
And last I will be leaving out Sat morning w/truck in tow coming to a town near you.

1) You are absolutely right the kid should be in a car seat, but it isnt. And other drivers should give you room but dont.
YOU CANT CONTROL OTHERS

2) You should not be towing with your set up but you are

3) "I make all my kids atleast sit down."
If you dont "at least" have your kids in a seat belt and a car seat if applicable you deserve to be shot. Period.

this doesn't make any sense. are you telling me a reg. cab/long bed or ext. cab short bed 3/4 ton truck is really that much harder or exspensive to deal with? are you saying aren't any out there to be bought for a similar price to a 94 s10? please.

considering that my S10 has been paid for for over 10 years,just about everything is more exspensive than it is.

considering that my S10 has been paid for for over 10 years,just about everything is more exspensive than it is.

yes because of course you could not sell the S-10.:rolleyes:

Come on man you are just making excuses.
What you are doing is simply NOT safe.
There isn't a whole lot of room for discussion here. We've been through this a million times and while you may feel it is ok, you will never convince the majority here of that.

At this point I as well as others are arguing with you simply o refute the garbage you are spewing to potential n00bs. I am really sorry that you dont value your own life, however I am hoping you will not cause someone else harm who reads your :poop: and thinks it is legit.

BTW Im ready to lose some cash to see the S10 make it up Saluda grade or Fancy gap pulling a 5k load....

What's the weight rating of the tires on that "half-ton" rig of yours?

BTW, thanks for the heads up on your routes. Can we make that a sticky? And by sticky I mean direct mailed notice to all NC citizens and law enforcement officials.

Like I said before, if you can't afford a suitable tow truck, then you can't afford the hobby. You don't need a Cummins or Powerstroke. But you DO at least need an old 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck.

You are putting your life, and the lives of everyone who is on the road where you're towing with that setup.
No amount of "it's okay if you drive carefully and like you have some sense" is going to help if you trailer tire blows. Or if you have to stop very quickly. Or make a fast (relatively speaking for a tow truck) maneuver.

If you can't afford a real tow truck now, wait until you're sued to within an inch of your life after having an accident with that grossly overloaded setup.

Plenty of people drive under the influence every night, and most don't get caught or have accidents.
But a few do. The ones that have accidents often take other innocents with them.
Same thing goes for towing, and the people that tow with trucks that are too small are no different, IMO, than someone who intentionally drives drunk. Most will be careful and not have a problem, but a few idiots will have a problem and kill people.

I can not justify spending any money on a tow rig that I would only tow with maybe once a month and let it sit and rot for the other 350 days in a year. I think that is just wasting money or buying something just to be buying it.Just like guys I work with forking out pretty big money every month for a truck to sit and pull a 4500-5500lb camper 2 weekends out of the year.Then complain about not being able to drive it to work and back because gas or fuel cost to much.

Ok lets see..

I drive a '92 Dodge W250 CTD.. (3/4 ton)
I payed: $1500 for it and have about $1500 in parts in it..
some of that to make it work better. some to make it look better..

This is my Daily Driver.. yes I dirve it everyday and love it.. Lowest fuel mileage i ever get driving it around town was 15
if i stay out of the fuel pedal I can get close to 20.. best ever was 22 empty on road trip.
and when I tow I always get better then 11 and I can pull mountians and not worry.

and yes I can pull and stay with all the big boys that have brand new CTD, duramax, ford, ect.. no problem.

So do not tell me people can not afford to buy a truck that is made to handle the weight or load.

it just takes time to keep your eyes open to find a good deal..

Like I said before, if you can't afford a suitable tow truck, then you can't afford the hobby. You don't need a Cummins or Powerstroke. But you DO at least need an old 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck.

I CAN afford the hobby and I do so by doing all the work to my truck myself( and for a few other people also), and I don't need a fullsize 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck to do my towing for me.I do know the limits of my trucks and I am not going over them so NO you won't see me towing to the mountains with it, but around here, in the piedmont, you will see me towing with it or down to the coast!:fuck-you:

And Bruiser Im glad you found a smokin hot hell of a deal in your tow rig just hope it last along time for you.

and I don't need a fullsize 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck to do my towing for me.I do know the limits of my trucks and I am not going over them so NO you won't see me towing to the mountains with it, but around here, in the piedmont, you will see me towing with it or down to the coast!:fuck-you:
Doesn't matter if you're going over the mountains or not. You are overloaded, and unsafe, no matter how careful you are or how good a driver you think you are.

The fact of the matter is, you DO need at least a 1/2 ton truck to do your towing. Your profile says you have a 99 Suburban.
That is the ultimate 1/2 ton tow truck. Why not use it?

Funny thing is, you say you know the limits of your trucks, but you obviously don't....because if you did, you wouldn't tow a 5k load with an S-10. That is over the limit of any S-10. Do the math like I told you how to earlier, and you'll see you're significantly overloaded.

I'm actually starting to think you're just trolling and you really tow with the Sub, because I'm usually an optimist regarding the human race, and I just don't want to believe anyone is this dumb.

The Suburban is my wifes and she has to have it while Im gone. I did tow with it 1 time before and that was the 1 time I was scared,did not feel stable at speed and the brakes were soft,just felt weak. When I did get it back, me and a friend from a dealership checked the brakes and could find nothing wrong with them. So the suburban is just for hauling the kids. I have used my fathers 05 Ram 1500 a couple of times it towed pretty good, but he has to use it to go places also.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31106

here just saw this... This would be a solid tow rig and you could even sleep in the back..

You could probably get him down some on the price, and spend a little on the front end and a few other items.

My current tow rig has 370k on it, after I replaced all the front end suspension parts/ bushings etc.. It rides like new..

OK OK OK>..really...my question got answered in some of the most prolific ways i have ever heard...you all have answered my question...i appreciate all the input from mild to wild to factory quotes and staunch steadfast personal opinions...
im working on a used truck 3/4 ton ford type...thank you all so much for the help...

I used to tow with my '91 S-10 that had the 4.3 liter V-6. It pulled my 18' bass boat like nothing. The one time I towed my neighbor's 21' Boston Whaler it pulled great but stopped like :poop:! I traded it in on a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2 liter engine. That truck has been awesome. Now I'm looking to move up to a 18' trailer to tow my '01 TJ and I'm thinking about a used 3/4 or 1 ton CTD. Just because it can pull doesn't mean it can stop. I loved that S-10 but after one attempt at a panic stop with that Whaler behind me, I realized it had to go if I wanted to stop any reasonable amount of weight at speed.

Back