Sliders vs shackles?

This is info from the AFCO website.
The AFCO leaf spring sliders (SEE PHOTO) can eliminate the up and down movement of the rear spring eye caused by shackles moving through their arcs during suspension travel...................

Since sliders are usually more rigid than shackles, they have less tendency to bind laterally.......

The part about not binding sounds ok.

Less up and down movement.....less flex.

These things were designed w/ a total of 4 inches ( at the most) of travel suspension in mind.

Matt

You would just need to make them longer if you had more flex. But it would have less flex than the same spring with a shackle.

Look closely.

ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k251_catfishblues1977_Zu_20Fall_20a854a0ea316bb1fa0268a7177803ade4.jpg

Not mine, but it handled Kodak pretty well! I talked to the guy who built it a little about them. He told me that when he did it, it was more for novelty than function, but it didn't seem to limit the capability of the Troop much. In my opinion, if you're not terribly concerned about flex, it would be pretty effective. Especially if the rig is streeted, too. Seems like it would greatly improve cornering over shackles. We should get together and talk about this, Dave. Say...over beers? What are you doing tonight? You got my #, call.

Look closely.
ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k251_catfishblues1977_Zu_20Fall_20a854a0ea316bb1fa0268a7177803ade4.jpg

Not mine, but it handled Kodak pretty well! I talked to the guy who built it a little about them. He told me that when he did it, it was more for novelty than function, but it didn't seem to limit the capability of the Troop much. In my opinion, if you're not terribly concerned about flex, it would be pretty effective. Especially if the rig is streeted, too. Seems like it would greatly improve cornering over shackles. We should get together and talk about this, Dave. Say...over beers? What are you doing tonight? You got my #, call.

That's the same fellow gogogadgitbiker and I wheeled with at Calalentee over Thanksgiving. He seemed to have plenty of flex with his setup, no noticeable disadvantages.

...As long as the slot is long enough to allow for the same range of motion the shackles allow, there should be no difference in operation.

Dave hit it exactly!

The only other thing it does differently than a shackle is eliminate the excessive side movement of the shackles. (oh...and the approach angle thing!)

We ran em on our Mastersbuilt dirt chassis once. But I felt that a little side flex was better when the track got slick

Lol drink much last night RQ, pretty old thread, I know you are considering them. After reading through it though I might be interested too. My shackles are nearly vertical. With my 2-1/2 lift springs (BDS) I used to think it rides ok, but after riding in vehicles with coils and getting much older after having the lift a couple decades, I wonder if it would also improve the ride, eliminating the vertical shackle position I have currently.

Lol drink much last night RQ, pretty old thread, I know you are considering them. After reading through it though I might be interested too. My shackles are nearly vertical. With my 2-1/2 lift springs (BDS) I used to think it rides ok, but after riding in vehicles with coils and getting much older after having the lift a couple decades, I wonder if it would also improve the ride, eliminating the vertical shackle position I have currently.
Actually I was doing a search for them on Google and NC4x4 came up so here it is! It'll be a while before I link the front and my springs get bent all to hell sticking out there so I saw these on an install that I helped with and liked them. I could do a shackle reverse and it would make it so much more simple than putting shackles out boarded of the frame.

Actually I was doing a search for them on Google and NC4x4 came up so here it is! It'll be a while before I link the front and my springs get bent all to hell sticking out there so I saw these on an install that I helped with and liked them. I could do a shackle reverse and it would make it so much more simple than putting shackles out boarded of the frame.
I’m thinking about making a set for my CJ build… you want me to make an extra set?

I saw these on an install that I helped with and liked them. I could do a shackle reverse and it would make it so much more simple than putting shackles out boarded of the frame
While there are a couple pros to shackle reverse, from several recent threads here/JCCA, it appears to bring handfuls of cons...

Seems the only difference between mounting shackle hanger vs sliders is the longer footprint = packaging + more welding, so a wash on "more simple"?

FWIW, these are LII (pretty sure @snappy won these at an ECORS event and gifted them to me 10 years ago)... time will tell if any improvement over the shackles?
NOTE: before the keyboard "engineers" show in force to armchair, this was NOT the final position :flipoff2:
20220123_143209.jpg

While there are a couple pros to shackle reverse, from several recent threads here/JCCA, it appears to bring handfuls of cons...

Seems the only difference between mounting shackle hanger vs sliders is the longer footprint = packaging + more welding, so a wash on "more simple"?

FWIW, these are LII (pretty sure @snappy won these at an ECORS event and gifted them to me 10 years ago)... time will tell if any improvement over the shackles?
NOTE: before the keyboard "engineers" show in force to armchair, this was NOT the final position :flipoff2:
View attachment 372870
Sadly, No. This wasn't the final position. There was still hours of arguing and mm sized movements to come before it could all be welded in...

I have these on the front of my xterra. I really like them.

Attachments

• 67053274-CDC0-43FE-9A15-DFA58982F835.jpeg
    67053274-CDC0-43FE-9A15-DFA58982F835.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 114
Back