so what's on the grill tonight?

propane or charcoal

• propane

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • charcoal/ lump wood

Votes: 48 65.8%

• Total voters
I tried a brisket yesterday. Was not really successful in the tenderness or being juicy. But it had good flavor and was edible.
20240609_065622.jpg
20240609_104333.jpg
20240609_181756.jpg

Oh gotcha. The Texas Sugar first. Good coat of it. Then just a light top coat of the Honey Hog.

I like to do a coarse SPG first, to help with the bark, then a layer of bbq rub on top... then put something with a kick on the bottom. Typically the rub on the bottom hits the tongue first. Rub will not stick to the bottom well, if you leave the silver skin on.

I tried a brisket yesterday. Was not really successful in the tenderness or being juicy. But it had good flavor and was edible.
View attachment 419132View attachment 419133View attachment 419134

What was your finish temp? Tenderness was likely due to not cooking it long enough. Need to bring it to 202+ internal to get the right tenderness. Should be like pushing the probe through warm butter. Making sure to cut across the grain is a big one too.

By the size, I'm betting that was just a flat? What grade was it? Being dry was likely do to the cut, but could also have been a short or no rest period. I like to wrap mine, after I get the color. I think it helps to keep that moisture in. A long rest, wrapped with moisture helps also.

I’ve never had much luck. But have always got mine from food lion. So probably a junk cut of meat
Yup. Choice cut is the hardest to cook. Add to it, that it is typically only flat, that makes it even harder.

I like to do a coarse SPG first, to help with the bark, then a layer of bbq rub on top... then put something with a kick on the bottom. Typically the rub on the bottom hits the tongue first. Rub will not stick to the bottom well, if you leave the silver skin on.

What was your finish temp? Tenderness was likely due to not cooking it long enough. Need to bring it to 202+ internal to get the right tenderness. Should be like pushing the probe through warm butter. Making sure to cut across the grain is a big one too.

By the size, I'm betting that was just a flat? What grade was it? Being dry was likely do to the cut, but could also have been a short or no rest period. I like to wrap mine, after I get the color. I think it helps to keep that moisture in. A long rest, wrapped with moisture helps also.
It hit 200 to 202. I got it from Sam's (usually have decent meat) I did not look at whether it was prime or choice. Rested for 2 hours, wrapped but probably should have been tighter wrap. When probing it even at 200+ it did seem firmer than I thought it should be. I was seeing where if you hit 203 it would tend to overcook, I figured when I pulled it and rested in a yeti it might go up a few degrees b4 cooling off. It was def just the flat, that was all they had and I just grabbed it. Always cut against the grain on all meats.
Next time I'll make sure I have a good whole one and make sure it is prime. Hopefully that was the issue. Pork Shoulders I've never had problems with.

Interesting on the two sided seasoning, I may try it this weekend if the wife wants ribs.

It hit 200 to 202. I got it from Sam's (usually have decent meat) I did not look at whether it was prime or choice. Rested for 2 hours, wrapped but probably should have been tighter wrap. When probing it even at 200+ it did seem firmer than I thought it should be. I was seeing where if you hit 203 it would tend to overcook, I figured when I pulled it and rested in a yeti it might go up a few degrees b4 cooling off. It was def just the flat, that was all they had and I just grabbed it. Always cut against the grain on all meats.
Next time I'll make sure I have a good whole one and make sure it is prime. Hopefully that was the issue. Pork Shoulders I've never had problems with.

Interesting on the two sided seasoning, I may try it this weekend if the wife wants ribs.

Typically, not being tender is being undercooked. I like to start checking around 200, but have seen/heard some go to 208-210. If you overcook it, typically it'll just fall apart vs slicing well.

The flat is a hard piece to cook, IMO, cuz there's almost no fat in it. A Choice cut makes that even harder. I wish you could get just Points easier. They cook like a butt. A chuck roast is a similar cut, and sometimes you can find them cheaper.

Back