Sort of Old School Jeep YJ Build 4 link on KINGS

motobilt

Years ago I built a lot of full width axle Jeep YJ's while starting another company. Oddly enough one of the first builds I am putting together as I start a new company is a built Jeep YJ. In years past the builds took on a different form. In those days the hot thing was 1/4 lip suspension.

This Jeep YJ build is going to feature many new Motobilt parts you guys/girls will be able to purchase in kit form. We are going to 4 link the Jeep front and rear and install KING Coilovers front and rear. The suspension is something I have been thinking about for a long time. If everything goes as planned it will produce a kit that will be easier to install and set up for at home builders. The rear section of the frame has already been cut off. The plan there is to build a back half kit to make room for coilover shocks.

The Jeep has a Chevy Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. The tires are SS 43" on 17" Allied Beadlocks. The engine is the stock 6 cyl, stock auto tranny, and a Atlas t-case. I am not sure if the customer will change out the engine and tranny but I have a feeling he will at some point in the future.

I will do my best to update this thread all along with pictures of the progress and parts used. I will also be posting pictures of this build on our website at this link:

http://www.motobilt.com/blog/projects/custom-build-jeep-yj-4-link-suspension/

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_jeep_yj_4linked.jpg

I could sure use a back half frame like that right now. I'm having to notch my frame now so my ORI's will have room.

I have the final prototype in the shop and it will be welded in place. I will have the back half kit on the website very soon. www.motobilt.com

Let me know if you need one. I can make it happen. At this point it will take me about a week to produce one.

Dan

will you make a version that has a different rear cross member so I can add a tire carrier etc?

I need 4 seats in my YJ and I like having a spare with me..

Nice work! What kind of cnc plasma table are you using? Or are you contracting it out?

I am laser cutting parts. I can cut what ever you need and form parts as well. Email me and let me know what you need.

Dan

Working on the 14 Bolt Rear Truss System. This one will be on the website for sale very soon. Let me know if you are interested. I will be installing this truss on the YJ build very soon. I will update with images soon.

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_MB4003_2_14_bolt_truss.jpg

will you make a version that has a different rear cross member so I can add a tire carrier etc?

I need 4 seats in my YJ and I like having a spare with me..

I can look into adding a tire carrier to the back half kit. Because of the added cost it would need to be an optional item.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been slammed out in the shop.

Dan

I have been busy in the shop. I wish i had more time to keep up with the updates. I have been working on some parts that go nicely with the back half kit. Here is the beginnings of a 4 link kit I am working on for the Jeep YJ. Basically it will bolt into the factory skid plate location to locate the brackets forward and back. The brackets will then be welded in place.

Here are a few pics. The skid hangs down roughly 4 inches. If I remember correctly it is closer to 4.25" down. This is not much different than the stock skid. The intended use of this kit is to four link the front and rear of a YJ using full width axles. Both the front and rear upper links have adjustment options.

The lower rod ends are 1-1/4" x 1 and the uppers are 7/8 x 3/4. The lower link frame side mounts are built into the skid to eliminate hooks and allow the belly to slide smoothly onto a link if needed.

The link mounts are 1/4". Some of the internal bracing is 3/16". The skid is a reinforced 1/4" plate.

More updates coming very soon.

You can also find more pics and updates here:
Custom Build Jeep YJ 4 Link Suspension and back half kit by Motobilt | Motobilt Metal Fabrication Blog

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_motobilt_4_link_yj7.jpg

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_motobilt_4_link_yj6.jpg

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_motobilt_4_link_yj5.jpg

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_motobilt_4_link_yj2.jpg

amotobilt.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_motobilt_4_link_yj1.jpg

Back