speaking of ice..

purpleTJchick

My jeep got up close and personal with a telephone pole yesterday.. oops

The guy in front of me kept slowing down.. and slowing down.. and never applying the brakes, so I switched lanes to keep from sliding into him, and to keep the cars behind me from hitting me b/c I was applying the brake to keep my distance from him. (needless to say the lane I switched in had all the ice) I was still under 20 mph when I hit the ice, had the option of hitting a cop looking car, some other car, or a pole... so I chose the pole. now I am sore

jeep damage..

bumper messed up.. need a new one. and the brace is pushed back. I swear it seems like it is leaning, I might have bent the frame or something.. probably nothing though, oh.. and steering is off 90 degrees..

dec16_001.jpg

On the plus side: - no one was hurt but me
-I am catching up on my sleep
-thank god uwarrie is closed or I will be going broke trying to build it back to go wheeling

negtive side: someone on this board will find someway somehow to call me stupid for switching lanes, call me reckless or whatever. All I can say is "shit happens" It looked like the right choice at the time, I learned my lession.

Plus side - you can replace stock crap with built stuff now and have a better excuse!

Shit happens.

purpleTJchick said:
negtive side: someone on this board will find someway somehow to call me stupid for switching lanes, call me reckless or whatever.

How stupid, how reckless :D

You chose wisely (Indian Jones :lol: ) You only involved YOU and not someone else's insurance company

I'd have done the same thing :smokin:

Rich said:
Plus side - you can replace stock crap with built stuff now and have a better excuse!

Shit happens.

It was a warn bumper... Stock might have been worser.

and yes.... I am always looking for excuses to do more

I am now doing research on bumpers. I want one small in size like warn. I might look into the moab bumpers (I think) they protect the fenders a little. I just don't want nothing like the bulky ARB. I am sure it is a great bumper and protects more... but it is just so big.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it was. If there was a choice, I think you made the right one.

For the future, what I was taught when I was a wee lad. You have no brakes, an egg under the skinny pedal, and you can't get enough following distance. Oh and most important. It is impossible to steer a skidding anything.

Millions of telephone poles are run down every year....this is another tragic pole fatality.
:D

Glad no one was hurt...:beer:

Doc

Ridgerunner said:
how many times did you have to swerv before you finaly hit it?
Glad you ok

I fished tail twice I think. my problem came when I did the first fish tail and took my foot of the gas and brake(It helped in the past on snow/ice) I was aiming for the cop car, and the closer I got the more I was using instinct instead of brains. also I think when I had the steering wheel turned I hit the gas a tad (I can not tell you if I did or not) because I shot into another fish tail and it seemed I picked up speed.

Things I think I learned on Ice

Patience, no need to over react. no matter how far the wheels are turned it is not going to turned till it is ready

poles work faster then brakes <-- That should be the text under my name :lol:

expect the unexpected. everything you thought you knew about ice will change.

when fish telling is it wiser to take your foot off the brake and gas, or apply one of them? I am not sure if I learned that or not

------------------

Thank God for pink pills...

when fish telling is it wiser to take your foot off the brake and gas, or apply one of them?
With or without ABS, if you start to slide, TAP the brakes and let off, that way you won't lock them but the rear wheels will tend to pull the front back into line. And that's a trick I learned the hard way in New Jersey. Another one, learned in Germany, is if it's at all possible, get over so your right side is on grass or dirt. Any ice there will crush down and you'll still have at least a little traction.

Glad you're okay. Take it easy. And remember this; if the guy in front of you is slowing down that much, there's probably a pretty good reason... ;)

The thing I learned about ice is to put it in neutral (Auto) or push the clutch in. That the problem I saw most on the news and during the infamous 1" snow to ice last year. Vehicle will snap back in line. (Just watch the steering while it does this.)

The thing I learned about ice is to put it in neutral (Auto) or push the clutch in. That's the problem I saw most on the news and during the infamous 1" snow to ice last year. Vehicle will snap back in line. (Just watch the steering while it does this.) Glad you're OK.

doc said:
Millions of telephone poles are run down every year....this is another tragic pole fatality.
:D

I'd be willing to bet the pole didn't feel a thing!

Matt:D

rattlecanpaint said:
The thing I learned about ice is to put it in neutral (Auto) or push the clutch in. That's the problem I saw most on the news and during the infamous 1" snow to ice last year. Vehicle will snap back in line. (Just watch the steering while it does this.) Glad you're OK.
Personally, I go throttle neutral (i.e. no accel, no deccel). The thing to remember is that you have no steering if the front is locked up. Get the tires turning and you have some hope of "herding" your vehicle in the direction you want to go. Neutral on an auto means you have no ability to influence the vehicle with the throttle. Moving it back into drive could give you a jolt of torque to make the vehicle unstable again.

Lastly, small inputs on everything (steering, braking, throttle), and pay attention without going white knuckled. A long drive on ice is exhausting to me due to the amount of attention necessary.

Lizooki said:
I'd be willing to bet the pole didn't feel a thing!

Matt:D

I think they replaced it or fixed it.. I went back and the pole was not leaning (it was never leaning alot)... and fresh dirt on the ground.

side note.. it did not stratch the powder coat on the warn bumper :smokin:

purpleTJchick said:
...when fish telling is it wiser to take your foot off the brake and gas, or apply one of them? ...

I'm glad you're not hurt bad...

turn into the skid and take your foot off the peddles this should help you regain control. or at least that's what i was taught, and it has worked so far. I know it's hard not to hit those breaks! You'll feel it the next time you're skidding if you do it right. next time try it in the mud...:smokin:

Do what my dad did to me....take me to a BIG OPEN area and make me practice recovering from different skids.
Learn how your vehicle reacts in a safe place, the highway is no place to find out.

The Beast said:
Do what my dad did to me....take me to a BIG OPEN area and make me practice recovering from different skids.
Learn how your vehicle reacts in a safe place, the highway is no place to find out.
That's exactly what I have planned for my kid/s even if one in the future turns out to be a girl. They WILL know what to do in case of a skid. EVERYONE ought to know what to do. (That's why snow doggin' is so much fun.)

rattlecanpaint said:
That's exactly what I have planned for my kid/s even if one in the future turns out to be a girl. They WILL know what to do in case of a skid. EVERYONE ought to know what to do. (That's why snow doggin' is so much fun.)

Hey, what's up with the even if one is a girl comment. Girls are great drivers. The best place to learn is on the dirt race track. I used to race go-carts and I really learned a lot about driving from that experience as a child -- even if I a just a dumb old girl.:p

Crystal

4x4 girl said:
Hey, what's up with the even if one is a girl comment. Girls are great drivers. The best place to learn is on the dirt race track. I used to race go-carts and I really learned a lot about driving from that experience as a child -- even if I a just a dumb old girl.:p

Crystal

Have to vouch for her here, she did used to race. And at one time had a racing stripe up her back and on her helment that looked a lot like her brothers tire tread:D
But I remeber at the beach, I passed you!:driver:
And I agree You are just a dumb OLD girl!! with too many degrees.

upnover said:
But I remeber at the beach, I passed you!:driver:
And I agree You are just a dumb OLD girl!! with too many degrees.

Yeah, as I was writing that last line I was wondering how long it would take for you to respond. But you do have to admit that I can drive. I do have too many degrees, but I am NOT OLD.

Luv ya mean it,
Crystal

Thanks for the pictures of Hannah's b-day.;)

Back