Stock market

This may be true but I will try to keep an eye on the market and when it seems the bottom has stop falling out I will switch back. Trying to mitigate the risk

What’s the bottom? Are you talking 2008 type bottom or 2018 type bottom?

Problem with buying on the dip is you have no idea what the bottom is until AFTERWARDS.

There’s a better case for buying and holding than buying high and selling low (market timing).

A note from my Adviser:
Over the past four market days the S&P 500 has dropped over 250 points wiping out over $1.7T in market value on fears of the spreading COVID-19 virus. Thats $1.7 Trillion with a T. There are many people who are very sick, some have died, and there is a real risk that the number of cases in the U.S. may expand.

Putting the market sell-off in perspective, to this point, we are about 8% off the markets all-time high. Almost every year, we have a catalyst that causes a 10% market correction. In my February 15th email, I pointed out that markets were expensive, in relation to expected earnings. I had been trimming equity exposure. Portfolios were overweight cash before the sell-off began. We have all heard the advice to buy low and sell high. You can only buy low if you have cash.

The market sell-off may continue. Although it sometimes seems that markets go up and down without rhyme or reason, at the end of the day, it eventually comes back to economic fundamentals. Markets do not like uncertainty. It is becoming more apparent that the economic impact of the COVID-19 virus will be broader than earlier believed. Until we get some clarity regarding the path of the virus and the full economic impact, market volatility and weakness may continue.

Today I reduced exposure to the financial sector. As equity markets have fallen, so have bond yields. The odds of further intervention by central banks has risen, putting more pressure on yields. Lower bond yields are a headwind for banks.

I was expecting a bounce today, but the bounce this morning didn't hold. I think we have more down side coming.

What if you didn't suck at internet?

Wait for these signals to buy coronavirus-battered stocks, says BNY Mellon strategist

2900 would be a 15% drop from the peak.

2020-02-27_9-27-43.jpg

2020-02-27_9-28-28.jpg

Dow down another 2.5pct so far today.

I bet bottom will be around 22k. Supply chain problems are going to cripple our economy. Even worse if the coronavirus gets a foothold here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dow down another 2.5pct so far today.

I bet bottom will be around 22k. Supply chain problems are going to cripple our economy. Even worse if the coronavirus gets a foothold here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I had a small business inform me today they can't deliver a custom thing they are 75% through making due to critical parts missing. Luckily for him we paid a large chunk up front, but it sucks for both of us that finishing the project is on hold indefinitely.

What’s the bottom? Are you talking 2008 type bottom or 2018 type bottom?

Problem with buying on the dip is you have no idea what the bottom is until AFTERWARDS.

There’s a better case for buying and holding than buying high and selling low (market timing).

based on this I have a minimum of 4 months before getting back into the market and I will have lost minimally. Both in gains and losses. And if it goes into bare market territory as long as I’m back in before 4 years I’m good.

DOW off 4.42 pct just for today. I revise my low point...18k.

I just did the math, my total portfolio is off 9.608% since it's high point on 2/13/20. Two weeks.

I'll be happy the slide stops at 15%. I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

So buy and hold beats “market timing".
If your timing is just random,. then yes.

What you can't ignore though is that sometimes where you are in life forces your hand away from buy and hold. Like reaching the end of a career and starting retirement, or a kid starting college and needing the dough for tuition, etc.
If you knew you lived an infinite life and could time major life events whenever you wanted, buy and hold would always work :D

Back