Stock market

I mean, its certainly funny. But yall are claiming market manipulation by the hedge funds but really what everyone is doing is market manipulation.

Short selling is used for a lot of reasons. Its not necessarily "evil". If the stock is overpriced, and you had know it, whats the problem with short selling?

I guess i don't get behind the "everyone on wall street is evil" bandwagon. I think some people watched wolf of wall street too many times.
It’s not so much everyone on wall st, it’s just the mass of people all calling that shorting 140% of a stock is ridiculous. It’s just right now all the monkeys in the room throwing shit, decided to throw it all in the same direction.
I don’t agree with wall st changing the rules in the middle of the retail traders taking money from the shorters.
That’s getting the brokers to protect the shorts bc they are losing money.
Not everyone on wall st is bad.
The hedge funds that over short a stock, and drive a company to zero, to make millions are bad.
The people called them on it, and they are losing billions. Then they change the rules to not lose as much covering the shorts beginning to expire, drive the price down, and prevent people from buying in as the word of what’s going on goes viral.

But why is shorting a stock 140% ridiculous if its actually over valued? I dont understand the logic of falsely overinflating a stock to keep what naturally would have happened from actually happening.

The reason for shorting is actually to keep the market more honest about the values it places on companies. Everyone seems to be claiming the opposite.

But why is shorting a stock 140% ridiculous if its actually over valued? I dont understand the logic of falsely overinflating a stock to keep what naturally would have happened from actually happening.

The reason for shorting is actually to keep the market more honest about the values it places on companies. Everyone seems to be claiming the opposite.

The problem is certain trading houses stopped allowing transactions of certain stocks. Some only allowed clients to sell. That is a big problem.

I've always thought high volume short selling messes with the "supply/demand" equilibrium in a way the the buy side of a trade doesn't.

If you think a stock is over valued, there are always means to make money off a value decrease with option contracts that wouldn't affect the float.

I don't think shorts are evil by any means, but being a whiney short is pretty damn annoying.

If it is a free market, and for whatever reason, millions of people decide they like the stock, and then decide to buy in, for whatever reason,

in a free market, they shouldn't be limited in what people want to buy.

A broker, limiting people to access the market, and causing the price to change because of limiting access, is manipulation.

not of that is what is "natural"

limiting access to buy stocks on an open market is not "natural" or free. neither is a broker auto selling peoples stocks during the restriction "in their best interest"

the big thing, is that all of this is exposing how deep the "free market" is corrupt and rigged between the giant hedge funds.

the media screams because people are all squeezing the shorts, and taking advantage of those positions to make money, but the media doesnt say shit when the hedge funds drive companies and stocks to nothing to make millions. the problem this time, the retail investors are getting the gains, while the hedges are losing billions. maybe the hedges shouldnt have borrowed the shares with insane interest.

the people are just calling them on their shorts...

more retail investors means a more free and open market. more inside deals and covering for other hedges reduces the "free" part of the market

9906C2D0-2927-4F82-B518-57AA0C01F9B4.jpeg

There are people all over the world that are trying and have been buying into this short squeeze bc it is an economic revolution taking power away from the hedges and giving more power to the retail investors, given they are using social media as a tool to fight this war.
It’s a war of attrition between is it a “free” market, or is it completely fixed and manipulated by the top?

I'm not excusing the bullshit that Robinhood or other trading apps are doing. So don't take it as that.

I just don't think praising the guys who are pumping the stock up unnaturally is a very good idea.

Should this be allowed to play out? Probably.

Do i think what they did is wrong and is hurting more than just big wig hedge fund guys. Yes. I do.

I think access to trading stocks by "common folk" with a phone has turned every internet hero into a broker over night. Some good things come with that, and some bad things come with that. We can get into the nuances of someone actually having good practical advice on allocation of money and assets, but for most of my life i invested in an FJ40 and multiple buggies. Doubtful I'm qualified to have the conversation.

Funny how this is pretty much exactly like the Twitter fiasco.

Honestly I see this whole GME thing being healthy for the market if the big boys are allowed to eat a little shit without being rescued. In the end, I feel like it will cause them to be much more cautious overall and will help mitigate these crazy rallies we've had lately when the actual economy is struggling. Reel them back in from fantasy land so to speak.

I'm not excusing the bullshit that Robinhood or other trading apps are doing. So don't take it as that.

I just don't think praising the guys who are pumping the stock up unnaturally is a very good idea.

Do i think what they did is wrong and is hurting more than just big wig hedge fund guys. Yes. I do.

I think access to trading stocks by "common folk" with a phone has turned every internet hero into a broker over night. Some good things come with that, and some bad things come with that. We can get into the nuances of someone actually having good practical advice on allocation of money and assets, but for most of my life i invested in an FJ40 and multiple buggies. Doubtful I'm qualified to have the conversation.
I think the only thing I'd add is, its very likely that the hedge funds have been doing this very thing -just a tad more nuanced and a bit more refined so as to not be so obvious - for a long time.
Essentially many of the more mainstream companies have been propped up or shot down by sophisticated and clandestine groups of "fund managers"...and no one stopped them.

When the little guy turned the table - albeit blatantly and absurdly - someone took their ball and went home.
Yes the Gamestop shit is "wrong".
But so is what has been happening.

Robinhood is now known as Sherriff Nottingham, LOL.

The problem is that it should have been allowed to 'play out' naturally without intervention. That didn't happen. The Hedge funds and brokers skewed things in their favor.

Last edited:
I think it's important to note here... For all of the huzzah about the David taking down Goliath here, the truth is that many of the Davids participating are going to lose their shirt in this trade. Some little guys will win, some big guys will lose, but the casual Reddit reader FOMOing in early today are paying objectively way too much based on the revenue generating capability of GameStop. People buying under the guise of "this is a revolution, we will win!" are the same type of gullible folk that thought they wouldn't be prosecuted for forcible entry to a government building.

I think it's important to note here... For all of the huzzah about the David taking down Goliath here, the truth is that many of the Davids participating are going to lose their shirt in this trade. Some little guys will win, some big guys will lose, but the casual Reddit reader FOMOing in early today are paying objectively way too much based on the revenue generating capability of GameStop. People buying under the guise of "this is a revolution, we will win!" are the same type of gullible folk that thought they wouldn't be prosecuted for forcible entry to a government building.
But it's their right to be idiots, and I support that right. It's a game of musical chairs. We let poor people piss away their money every day on lottery tickets and no one of authority seems to care.

I admit I downloaded RobinHood last night (before this mornings shitstorm of them not allowing the trades) just to poke around a bit, but I came to the same conclusion that if I tried to buy any of the proposed stocks there would be no way I could comfortably drop enough dough to make it worth it. I did however buy a few shares of a penny crypto that has almost doubled so it hasn't been a total waste lol.

Duane

But it's their right to be idiots, and I support that right. It's a game of musical chairs. We let poor people piss away their money every day on lottery tickets and no one of authority seems to care.
That's absolutely true. I didn't mean to imply that Robinhood was making the right moves here.

POP!

I'll stick to buying broken Jeeps and selling after repairing.
Same here with the three T's: Trucks, Tractors, and TheOtherStuffImGoingToBuyRegardlessOfWhatMyWifeSays :D

I'll stick to buying broken Jeeps and selling after repairing.
next time you turn 20k into 12million in 30 days let me knwo, im ready to invest :D

Back