Summer vacation destinations ???

Rob said:
Hye JB, Susan and I just got back from there Sunday night, flew into El Paso, drove to T or C. Chili peppers are fresh and everything I ate had them. Cruses hasn't changed a bit, and neither has T or C.

LUCKY DOG ! MAN I miss home. I should prolly be getting a shipment of green chilies here in a month or so from dad. So who's/what's in T or C ? Do any fishing/boating at Elephant Butte ?
JB

That's where my parents are from, uncle and cousins in cruces. We met in Aray to spread my grandmothers ashes on the mountains. Was the only time we could get most of us there. Was a great time, saw family I haven't seen in 20 years. Didn't do any fishing in the butte, but we saw it, lakes low, the buttes almost not an island.

I too miss it, wish I could find a decent job there.

NICE report, khokhonutt! We stayed at POP Century also. My family loves Disney so we're trying to do it every 2 years. What side of Concord you live on?

FANTASTIC write up Jeff !!! I agree, there's no place on earth quite like it and ya just can't beat the price and value.
3 years ago we stayed at the All Stars resort, but this year we are camping at Fort Wilderness on the Disney grounds in the Aliner. All the comforts of a hotel room but at about 1/3 the cost. Lots to do and see just there alone. I'm really excited now after reading your write up. Good show Jeff !
JB

Rockeater said:
We are going to Disney World for 9 days, then on the Disney cruise ship for 3 days, the middle of August. We went 3 years ago and this will prolly be the last time our son is a "child" and really enjoy the magic of Disney, being he'll be 9 yrs old by this August. Two years from now we are looking at Africa. I'm already saving for that one. :)

So where are YOU going for vacation (besides wheeelin) this year ?

JB

Doing just about the inverse of you.....Going in December to WDW for my son's (will be almost 3 years old then) first trip there.

Only trip planned this summer for sure is a trip up to PA to wheel at Paragon and Rausch Creek in July.

Rockeater said:
FANTASTIC write up Jeff !!! I agree, there's no place on earth quite like it and ya just can't beat the price and value.
3 years ago we stayed at the All Stars resort, but this year we are camping at Fort Wilderness on the Disney grounds in the Aliner. All the comforts of a hotel room but at about 1/3 the cost. Lots to do and see just there alone. I'm really excited now after reading your write up. Good show Jeff !
JB

SSWaters said:
NICE report, khokhonutt! We stayed at POP Century also. My family loves Disney so we're trying to do it every 2 years. What side of Concord you live on?

Thanks guys. It was fun to put together.

I'm on the southeast side of Concord, off 601 towards the Concord Speedway.

Jeff

JB, two things of advice... 1st- use fast-pass, they are very useful 2nd- park in one of the resort parking lots like the Yacht Club, say you are going to eat, and catch a bus into one of the parks. It will save you $$ on parking. :D

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
JB, two things of advice... 1st- use fast-pass, they are very useful 2nd- park in one of the resort parking lots like the Yacht Club, say you are going to eat, and catch a bus into one of the parks. It will save you $$ on parking. :D

We are camping on the Disney grounds. The van will stay parked at the campsite the whole time and won't move till we leave for the coast for the Disney cruise. We will be using the inter park transportation system, it's the ONLY way to go when at WDW. The buses run every 1/2hr at the campground just like the hotels. We know about the Fast-Pass too, thanks Josh. This is my 3rd time there. The "new" celebration just started this month, so all new rides, music and attractions. :) Only bummer for me is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride has been closed permanently. :mad:

J(ex Capt'n Nemo)B

Rockeater said:
Only bummer for me is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride has been closed permanently. :mad:

J(ex Capt'n Nemo)B

No shit... I had a buddy at work that worked at that and small world during college in the 70s. He'll hate to hear it...

-- Going to 2 weddings, senior olympics, the beach for the tall ships, and doing home decoration.

J

the wife is dragging me back to myrtle beach in July....... I lived in the sandhills of NC for 6 years.......only took any hour and a half to get to myrtle and i was only there maybe 6 times...... i hate the beach!

but my little girls love it so i will go for that

next year i want to take a trip to the midwest somewhere.just to do it

Make sure, when you guys go to WDW. to eat dinner at Boma's (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and at O'hana's (Polynesian)....both ass-kicking restauarants. We stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and eat at Boma's at least twice on our trips.

I don't care for Myrtle Beach either. The aquarium was probably the neatest thing there. We went there 2 years ago ONLY cause we stayed in my brothers free time share. (he's in England). We spent way MORE money and did A WHOLE LOT less there, than WDW. Plus everywhere we went was playing distorted rap music, and not one single ethnic person was even there most of the time. My son asked me "Daddy, why are they playing 'bad guy' music ? This isn't very fun". I said "I don't know why son". Myrtle just isn't a 'happy' place. We went to see the Medevial Dinner Tournament theater and it was like $45 per person !!! For a 2 hour show a dinner !? $52 gets you into 4 kingdoms, 2 water parks and all transportaion is included from 8am to midnight at WDW, heck a Braodway play in NYC will cost ya about that much.
Needless to say we left Myrtle Beach early and will never return.

J(prefers mouse ears)B :p

RedX said:
Make sure, when you guys go to WDW. to eat dinner at Boma's (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and at O'hana's (Polynesian)....both ass-kicking restauarants. We stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and eat at Boma's at least twice on our trips.

We did the Polynesian Laua, which did kick a$$. The kids got to have a coconut race around the room using sticks to roll the coconuts. Here's a pic, kinda dark, of 'Q' and I and a tiki statue at the Polynesian Village.

DCP_0059.jpg

JB

Those of you going to Colorado need to stop in Ouray. That's my home town, and if ya didn't bring a four wheel drive, rent one. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country out there. Just be careful, the edge is close and it's a loong way to the bottom of the canyon. Take lots of pictures too. Soon as I can convince the wife, we're moving back that way.

Might go to Topsail this summer, wife's aunt has a house on the beach there. Other than that, no vacation for us.

rattlecanpaint said:
Those of you going to Colorado need to stop in Ouray. That's my home town, and if ya didn't bring a four wheel drive, rent one. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country out there.

Ya got that right... Colorado is incredible. I was more into fast cars and curvy roads when I last went, so I spent more time abusing tires and scaring oncoming traffic than I did off-road, but if it wasn't so damn cold in the winter, I'd be living there now.

Rich said:
Ya got that right... Colorado is incredible. I was more into fast cars and curvy roads when I last went, so I spent more time abusing tires and scaring oncoming traffic than I did off-road, but if it wasn't so damn cold in the winter, I'd be living there now.

LOL ! It does get BUTT cold there, but the snow skiing is second to none. I haven't skied out here yet and I've been here over 8 years. Maybe one year I'll take the kiddo out and let him have a try at it. Prolly show me up since it's been so long since I've hit any slopes.
JB

John, I lived near Riodoso for years, and went to Taos a lot, and I've never, ever skiied on snow before.

Rob said:
John, I lived near Riodoso for years, and went to Taos a lot, and I've never, ever skiied on snow before.

Yea it's nice NM gets all four seasons. Never skiied Ruidoso, but skiied Taos/Angle Fire quite a bit. Even got a couple NASTAR flags from Angle Fire.
Taos gets about 310" a year and Angle Fire gets about 210" of snow ..... REAL snow. More info here :
http://southwest-vacation-travel.net/new-mexico/ski-areas.htm

Dang it Rob, you're making me homesick !

JB

I want to live near Farmington. Close to wheeling, skiing, mountains, lakes, etc.

I'm ready JB, let's go.

rattlecanpaint said:
Those of you going to Colorado need to stop in Ouray.

We were there in October. We'll be staying in Durango and Silverton this August.

And yeah, 550 coming into Ouray from the south is an awesome drive.

saf-t scissors said:
We were there in October. We'll be staying in Durango and Silverton this August.

And yeah, 550 coming into Ouray from the south is an awesome drive.

Is that the million dollar highway? It sounds familiar but it's been a few years since I have been.

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Is that the million dollar highway? It sounds familiar but it's been a few years since I have been.

Why, yes it is. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't googled it, though. I guess our friends in Durango aren't very good tour guides. ;) It is pretty much amazing...

Rob said:
Durango? I was there last year. I have family in Pagosa Springs.

Huh. When were you there? We've been in October the past two years. Our Bronco buddy lives there. We're flying out for his wedding in August.

Back