Summer vacation destinations ???

whats so amazing about the highway? Ive heard it mentioned before...

My recommendation in Colorado is Breckenridge! If you can stop by the small town...it is simply amazing. Everyone knows about Vail and Aspen and Copper mtn...i went to all of those, but Breckenridge is my favorite small town in the whole US

Attachments

• 00127.jpg
    00127.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 334
The drive is not for the light of heart, steep cliffs! But views like the one above through the whole drive. Ahhh, I want to do a road trip now. :rolleyes:

yep, nothing like a completely unplanned road trip hundreds of miles from home with just a few bucks in your pocket, a nearly maxed out credit card, one change of clothes, and a ragged sleeping bag. :flipoff2:

The most amazing thing about the million dollar highway is that it was made in the 1800s, no modern day equipment, just hand steel drilled holes and dynamite. 2 theories on the name. 1 There's a million $ is gold bullion under it and, 2. it took that much to build per mile. (in the 1800s). I'd really like to live in Silverton, but the wife says it's too isolated (exactly why I want to live there. In the winter there anre times when you can't get in or out of town because of avalanches accross the roads to Ouray and Durango. On the bright side, you can ride your snowmobile in the streets. And the million $ highway is between Ouray and Silverton, not Silverton and Durango. The picture is looking at Ouray.

trailhugger said:
Huh. When were you there? We've been in October the past two years. Our Bronco buddy lives there. We're flying out for his wedding in August.
Last spring, flew to Alburqurqee and drove up to visit my grandmother. Was Susan's first trip to NM/CO.

I used to have a Porshe that I'd run up there. Talk about a RUSH ! Was running with a BMW once and he ALMOST went over the edge. We chilled after that close of a call. The vistas are breath taking. If ya have never been, it's really something to see. Makes you feel REALLY small and closer to god.
JB

Back