Super duty 60's

On behalf of the old school boys still running KPs and still getting it done :flipoff2:

I will say though that it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a set of 05+s. Although popular I don't think there's a huge amount of money to be made unless you're picking them up for $300 or less on a bulk deal. I'm still seeing sets for $500-$600 so I'm not sure if the price will go for what the old school tons used to pull.

In 2060, we'll be seeing how much torque these things can hold from some electric motors.

Of course...some of yall gunna be realllll old in 2060 too :D

Ok so I thought about this thread last night. I got a few questions or some loaded thoughts.

I assume like most BJ axles they have unit bearings , Are they any good? One of the MAIN reasons I swapped from IFS to SA was because of the endless front end parts I was changing like Hubs and ball joints. I swear I would burn through a set of hubs within a years time. CVs were also and issue but Not applicable here. granted I am taking into account that I was running 35s on a 90s 1500 chevy IFS. Stock they are amazing systems but as soon as you add any real tire weight and some shock load and unloading (most things dont) they show their weakness quickly. and the Hub bearings constantly burnt up from (water/mud/silt) intrusion. So I'm curious if the 05+ unit bearings are serviceable at some degree?

From what I read the Castings are bigger. anybody got a side by side picture? Are we talking ground clearence robber like the 14 bolt FF before a shave?
And what about cross over steering?

The only thing that robs any ground clearance is the low radius arm mount. Seems like most people cut these down and weld on new mounts or trusses anyway.

The wheel bearings are pretty awesome. Something like 4.5" diameter. They're beef. The ones I took out of my axle had 210,000 miles on them and were still alright. Unlike 99-04, these have a sealed roller bearing inside of them where the axle stub rides and not a little needle bearing. The snap ring on the stubs is no joke though...that's the hardest part of changing a wheel bearing. Are they serviceable? No...but you can pump grease in them through the ABS sensor hole and they even make an adapter that bolts in place of it and has a zerk so you could force water or dirt out if any did get in there.

There are available steering arms for them. I run the factory style steering in my setup though.

Ok so I thought about this thread last night. I got a few questions or some loaded thoughts.

I assume like most BJ axles they have unit bearings , Are they any good? One of the MAIN reasons I swapped from IFS to SA was because of the endless front end parts I was changing like Hubs and ball joints. I swear I would burn through a set of hubs within a years time. CVs were also and issue but Not applicable here. granted I am taking into account that I was running 35s on a 90s 1500 chevy IFS. Stock they are amazing systems but as soon as you add any real tire weight and some shock load and unloading (most things dont) they show their weakness quickly. and the Hub bearings constantly burnt up from (water/mud/silt) intrusion. So I'm curious if the 05+ unit bearings are serviceable at some degree?

From what I read the Castings are bigger. anybody got a side by side picture? Are we talking ground clearence robber like the 14 bolt FF before a shave?
And what about cross over steering?
All these questions have been answered many times if you just do a little bit of research.

All these questions have been answered many times if you just do a little bit of research.
IT was really late and I got lazy not going to lie. but just for you ill do some :)

IT was really late and I got lazy not going to lie. but just for you ill do some :)

Just for you.

fetch-photoid-5592-png.5602
1882193d1439997274-reid-super-kingpin-knuckle-kingpin5.jpg

I'd like to find a reasonable CUCV D60 if anyone knows of one close to Hickory. Gonna regear to 373 for another project anyway.

Back