Teach us how to weld

Yeah I wouldn't try to the thicker than it recommends on 110v, considering voltage will determine current (and burn in).. less stick out = hotter arc.. that's why it's called short circuit welding.

I’m just seeing what it’s capabilities are really! You can def weld thicker than it recommends tho in 110v Tho I’ll do some etching and show results on 3/16 when I get time! Work and kids slow down the learning and practice for the biggest kid in the house!

Yeah I wouldn't try to the thicker than it recommends on 110v, considering voltage will determine current (and burn in).. less stick out = hotter arc.. that's why it's called short circuit welding.
Errrr not exactly. Short circuit actually balls and shorts breaking the arc at a ridiculous pace. It is different then globular and spray. Flux core burns in an open arc much like 7018 rod. As for the current it maintains constant voltage per the setting. Amps however is a function of the available wire....in turn this current density. That's why after so many volts per say it does no good to keep turning it up per diameter of wire. The wire can only handle so much. Saturation occurs and no better work is being done. So how do you get more amps?....More wire speed. More available arc carrying electrode equals more current density. So in reality if you want more heat you got to feed more wire.

The short answer was less stick out equals less voltage drop from resistance. But yes CTWD should be about 1/4 of an inch average in Short Circuit GMAW.

Errrr not exactly. Short circuit actually balls and shorts breaking the arc at a ridiculous pace. It is different then globular and spray. Flux core burns in an open arc much like 7018 rod. As for the current it maintains constant voltage per the setting. Amps however is a function of the available wire....in turn this current density. That's why after so many volts per say it does no good to keep turning it up per diameter of wire. The wire can only handle so much. Saturation occurs and no better work is being done. So how do you get more amps?....More wire speed. More available arc carrying electrode equals more current density. So in reality if you want more heat you got to feed more wire.

The short answer was less stick out equals less voltage drop from resistance. But yes CTWD should be about 1/4 of an inch average in Short Circuit GMAW.
So I can technically trick the machine into thinking I have smaller wire which allows higher wire speed and in return with 110v at 20v and 300-345ish speed achieve penetration on thicker metal say 3/16? Not that I’m attempting this on a cage or anything just curious if I’m headin in right direction learning this mig settings! With speed higher does my movement need to speed up at same time?

@WARRIORWELDING
So let me ask, why do I prefer wire speed 3-5/10 on hi on my cheap 90a hf fcaw unit regardless of thickness, when I crank it up to the recommended 9(say 3/16 1/4 plate), it doesn't make a puddle and just spatters and globs up? My guess is that it can't put enough power in to the wire to burn in. Maybe I'm just using the welder wrong or more likely it's just cheap crap.

@WARRIORWELDING
So let me ask, why do I prefer wire speed 3-5/10 on hi on my cheap 90a hf fcaw unit regardless of thickness, when I crank it up to the recommended 9(say 3/16 1/4 plate), it doesn't make a puddle and just spatters and globs up? My guess is that it can't put enough power in to the wire to burn in. Maybe I'm just using the welder wrong or more likely it's just cheap crap.

Its because of the slope of the current that makes it globular.

So I can technically trick the machine into thinking I have smaller wire which allows higher wire speed and in return with 110v at 20v and 300-345ish speed achieve penetration on thicker metal say 3/16? Not that I’m attempting this on a cage or anything just curious if I’m headin in right direction learning this mig settings! With speed higher does my movement need to speed up at same time?

Yes when amperage is increased so is the deposition rate. In order to keep penetration effective and prevent the puddle from moving outward from base metal, you must increase travel speed so that the arc remains on the front edge of the puddle.

Even with higher amperage, too slow of travel speed will reduce penetration because the puddle then insulates the arc from the base metal. This causes the underside of the puddle to become cold and have a lack of fusion with base metal.

I understand about when increasing wire speed to increase travel speed and stay ahead of the puddle but it's almost like the welder doesn't have sufficient power to burn into the material being welded on. I'll try it again and put up a pic. It is just a cheap hf 90a AC flux only unit

I understand about when increasing wire speed to increase travel speed and stay ahead of the puddle but it's almost like the welder doesn't have sufficient power to burn into the material being welded on. I'll try it again and put up a pic. It is just a cheap hf 90a AC flux only unit

It may not have the capacity to effectively burn a larger diameter wire.

It may not have the capacity to effectively burn a larger diameter wire.
Also part of why Gmaw done well gets limited penetration. Fusion isn't deep at all but must be complete.

Yep. It must just not have enough guts to push the wire at the higher settings. It repetitively hits the plate as solid wire, globs, and doesn't fuse with the plate, begins melting and repeats. If I keep turning it down, I end up about where I set it to weld nearly everything (3-5). (I adjust my travel to compensate for thinner material or pulse). Oh well, it's good to know it is the machine and not me. I kinda figured it was the machine not having enough power, I mean it's only 110 @ 20a.

Yep. It must just not have enough guts to push the wire at the higher settings. It repetitively hits the plate as solid wire, globs, and doesn't fuse with the plate, begins melting and repeats. If I keep turning it down, I end up about where I set it to weld nearly everything (3-5). (I adjust my travel to compensate for thinner material or pulse). Oh well, it's good to know it is the machine and not me. I kinda figured it was the machine not having enough power, I mean it's only 110 @ 20a.
Why in the long run vs. Buying twice......buy a minimum of 150 t0 170 and a 60 percent duty cycle. The later is the harder to purchase in that equation.

Back