The Grocery Budget Challenge

For $100 we usually are buying 4-5 complete meals. My wife is doing Keto, so she doesn't really eat any sides and just loads up on whatever meat we are having. So I can buy Veggies and split them up over 2 meals, so I am buying less sides, just more of a certain thing. We also get things like Deli meat, Frozen Pizzas, Frozen sides, Tide Pods, Dishwasher pods, Apples, Oranges, Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Bread. Bacon, Eggs, gallon milk. Usually breakfast at home and go out for breakfast every other Saturday, which means we eat lunch and dinner at home.

What sides are you preparing that she can't eat on keto? What does she eat when you go out? Is this for weight loss or...? If you plan on having other children, she needs to make sure she's getting a wide range of nutrients or it can throw her cycle out of whack.

Since she must not be eating frozen pizza or frozen 'sides', how are you portioning those? In general, I see a lot of more expensive items that you've admitted aren't stretching your grocery budget far enough. If "most" of it is gone in just a couple of days and you say you are buying for 4-5 meals, you need to do some adjusting.

So one of you makes sandwiches or something equally fast while the other gets the kiddo ready and you've eaten food already purchased and much cheaper/healthier.

A low-carb 'snack' meal we might have is cheese with various deli meats, pickled vegs, and hard-boiled eggs. Some veg's are still critical for micronutrients on keto, so those with hummus would maybe work. Tuna salad with hard-boiled eggs is also good.

Or you plan ahead and make a double batch of another dinner you can reheat and eat before you leave home.
Yeah, we def could, but this will just be one of our "eat out meals" for the week
What sides are you preparing that she can't eat on keto? What does she eat when you go out? Is this for weight loss or...? If you plan on having other children, she needs to make sure she's getting a wide range of nutrients or it can throw her cycle out of whack.

Since she must not be eating frozen pizza or frozen 'sides', how are you portioning those? In general, I see a lot of more expensive items that you've admitted aren't stretching your grocery budget far enough. If "most" of it is gone in just a couple of days and you say you are buying for 4-5 meals, you need to do some adjusting.

She is doing Keto for the weight loss mainly and she also has UC, which is up for debate on whether or not Keto is something that actually benefits those with UC, but it seems to have kept her in remission for a while no, so she has stuck with it for the time being. I usually fix something like Mac and cheese or something potato related, pasta salad, veggies, etc. Some veggies like Lettuce (this one is hit or miss), asparagus, Broccoli, things that are textured, can and will bother her stomach, so those are out. She will buy a frozen Quest pizza or Real Good Pizza. She also doesn't cut carbs completely, just limits them.

Lets say we do spaghetti. I will buy regular pasta and the carb smart noodles for the wife. 1 lbs of hamburger and split it in half. A jar of spaghetti sauce, which we have found that Ragu or Prego (cant remember which one at the moment) has the least amount of carbs without buying the $8 a jar stuff. I will use bread that we already have and make up some quick garlic butter and throw that in the oven. Other half of the hamburger either gets frozen to use later or will cook it up if we are having tacos or enchiladas later that week, which we will then also buy low carb tortillas shells.

When we go out to eat, it totally depends on what she gets. Sometimes its a burger with no bun, sometimes she goes ahead and gets the bread. Like I said before, she doesn't cut carbs all the time, just limits her carb intake and then of course, she has her cheat meals every so often where all bets are off the table.

Prime example: Last night we had Pork chops with low card BBQ sauce that we already had. I fixed a box of mac and cheese for myself and my daughter and we both had a salad. So she had 2 good sized pork chops and a salad with eggs/ham/cheese and Ranch.

We usually go to the store on Sunday, but have been pushing that back to Saturday. Which if we do a Saturday grocery run, we eat lunch usually right after once we unload all the stuff, will snack in the afternoon and then eat dinner at home, plus Breakfast on Sunday, as well as lunch and dinner, so I should say that a lot of our bulk snacky/lunch items get gone quickly.

Recently, we have been trying to fix lower cost meals like Egg Salad and eating that for Dinner and lunch the next day. Our budget is $100 a week. Sometimes we get out of the store for $90, sometimes we get out of the store for $125. All depends on what we are having to buy and if HT has deals that will pay off in the long run like Buy2 Get3 free on whatever.

If she hasn't, she should look into eliminating FODMAP foods and slowly reintroduce to see what causes her the most problems. For example, the 'low carb' pasta may have other ingredients that are actually not beneficial to her UC condition. She could try zucchini 'noodles' or spaghetti squash instead. Same goes for pasta sauce, plus there's potentially a lot of sodium in those. You can make your own with sauteed and pureed bell peppers and canned diced tomatoes, adding your own seasonings. An elimination diet would help inform her choices and make label reading much easier because these processed options might be sabotaging her other issues.

If typical salad ingredients give her issues, rethink what a 'salad' is. We steam or roast greens and root veggies and toss them with some fresh chopped veggies for crunch, homemade vinaigrette, and sometimes chopped olives or nuts/seeds.

As far as grocery budget, I'd also work toward cutting or eliminating boxed/processed stuff as much as possible. Whole foods are always better, especially for teaching your daughter healthy habits. Don't get me wrong, we eat the occasional frozen pizza or have mac & cheese with homemade chili. With three kids, there's always a box of graham crackers for snacks, but they mostly snack on fruit, veggies & hummus, cheese sticks, or nuts. Buy an extra loaf of bread for sandwiches and stick it straight in the freezer. Day before you need it, move it to the refrigerator and you won't have to worry about mold OR going back to the store for one thing that turns into 12.

You can also look at portions or filling in with other things to stretch meat further. A 'meat' entree might typically be 1/4# but ground beef mixed with other stuff usually works out to 1/8# per person or better, meaning your pasta sauce or taco meat could be for two dinners instead of one. For pasta sauce I use meat, tomatoes, peppers, a little chopped kale or spinach, chopped mushrooms, and even a little chopped/shredded carrot to balance out the tomato acidity. For taco meat it's meat with peppers, tomatoes/salsa, and sometimes sweet potatoes. Then I add fresh sliced peppers on top of the tacos, also. We add beans and onions but those might give her UC issues. The point is, the better and more interesting the flavors, the smaller the portions can be without feeling cheated. Not tiny, just stretched a little further. I often eat leftovers for lunch the next day and we frequently take leftover taco mix and add beans/tomatoes and maybe corn to make taco soup or chili. As for pasta... we typically make 1/3 to 1/2 box for a meal and still have leftovers that I can reheat with a bit of sauce for the next day's lunch. So if the box says 8 servings, we're getting 10 or 15.

I read a lot about nutrition and cooking methods and it's taken time for me to figure some things out, so I'm just passing along what I've learned. We spend some money on food with 5 of us now, not including Amazon Subscribe & Save for toiletries and paper products and some bulk snacks, but there was a time when the budget was $40 for two of us and I carried a calculator.

So one of you makes sandwiches or something equally fast while the other gets the kiddo ready and you've eaten food already purchased and much cheaper/healthier.

A low-carb 'snack' meal we might have is cheese with various deli meats, pickled vegs, and hard-boiled eggs. Some veg's are still critical for micronutrients on keto, so those with hummus would maybe work. Tuna salad with hard-boiled eggs is also good.

Or you plan ahead and make a double batch of another dinner you can reheat and eat before you leave home.

Or you plan waaaaay ahead and throw something in the crock pot before you leave for work and its ready when you get home...

Same. I won't leave the house with the dryer running or the crock pot on. I'll use it on a weekend to bulk cook a roast or warm chili or BBQ beans, which is then packaged for the fridge or freezer and can be reheated for quick dinners.

Other ideas... make and freeze burritos any way you like, take out to thaw the night before and then heat through in the MW or oven.

Or treat it like intermittent fasting and skip dinner (not for the kid, obv.). It's good for you metabolism and your gut flora.

I'm not leaving the house with a $17 heating appliance plugged in all day. Ain't happenin'. Nope.

That, and I can honestly say I've never had anything come out of a crockpot where I liked the texture. I feel like a crockpot is strictly for people that take their dentures out to eat.

That, and I can honestly say I've never had anything come out of a crockpot where I liked the texture. I feel like a crockpot is strictly for people that take their dentures out to eat.

Let me give you my wifes "crack chicken recipe" and get back to me..

Regarding leaving the crock pot...we set it on the stove top and plug it into a GFCI outlet, the cord runs across the stove and hangs above the granite counters...hood is stainless. No counters above the outlet and the backsplash there is tile.
If an element shorts the GFCI should trip. Nothing is immediately flammable. And if the cord somehow melted...I guess maybe...that's what I have insurance for.

I also leave the dryer running when gone and regularly turn the stove to self clean and leave so I dont smell that shit. Living dangerous here I guess...

Let me give you my wifes "crack chicken recipe" and get back to me..

Regarding leaving the crock pot...we set it on the stove top and plug it into a GFCI outlet, the cord runs across the stove and hangs above the granite counters...hood is stainless. No counters above the outlet and the backsplash there is tile.
If an element shorts the GFCI should trip. Nothing is immediately flammable. And if the cord somehow melted...I guess maybe...that's what I have insurance for.

I also leave the dryer running when gone and regularly turn the stove to self clean and leave so I dont smell that shit. Living dangerous here I guess...

My wife would be eternally grateful to your wife if she can make me a crockpot believer.

And to your point about leaving things on/plugged in...running through the list in my head, I’ll leave damn near everything on EXCEPT a crockpot and I’ll unplug the Keurig every morning. Now I’m sitting here trying to figure out what childhood trauma led me to those distinctions.

My wife would be eternally grateful to your wife if she can make me a crockpot believer.

And to your point about leaving things on/plugged in...running through the list in my head, I’ll leave damn near everything on EXCEPT a crockpot and I’ll unplug the Keurig every morning. Now I’m sitting here trying to figure out what childhood trauma led me to those distinctions.

Thread derail - crack chicken is keto, carb free,(until you put it on croissants or kings hawaiian rolls) delicious and goes great with beer. And requires maybe 5 minutes of prep effort. maybe 5

Thread derail - crack chicken is keto, carb free,(until you put it on croissants or kings hawaiian rolls) delicious and goes great with beer. And requires maybe 5 minutes of prep effort. maybe 5

Please add me to the distribution list of that recipe!

See if this is readable...
it’s a major hit around our house and can scale to feed an entire football team(done it)

the Colby jack is a must...

888EB666-BAD0-4264-88E0-74369D1E3777.jpeg

Btw we have also substituted a chuck roast and made crack beef.
Was almost as good.

My wife and I have been round and round on this whole crockpot thing. To me, the crock pot drys out the meat on a cellular level and it is never appetizing. It may be "juicy" because it is covered and surrounded by juice, but if the meat squeaks when I chew it, it ain't no good.

My wife and I have been round and round on this whole crockpot thing. To me, the crock pot drys out the meat on a cellular level and it is never appetizing. It may be "juicy" because it is covered and surrounded by juice, but if the meat squeaks when I chew it, it ain't no good.
The instant pot is a game changer for tender bulk- cooked meats that are flavourful and not soupy.

What's everyone paying for gallons of milk these days?

Dear heavenly father, that's a half gallon. :eek:

I'm paying $1.99 for a gallon of Highland Crest at the little North Hills HT (is $2.49 for the HT brand). We go through at least 4 per week, soon to be 5 now that little bit had a birthday and will start drinking it as soon as I get her a cup.

It was $3.99 at the HT on Creedmoor on the way back from a pediatric dentist appointment and I said, "the:poop:I will..."

I also have to buy the half gallon cartons of lactose free and I think they are $5 regular price, but usually on sale for $3.50-ish.

Dear heavenly father, that's a half gallon. :eek:

I'm paying $1.99 for a gallon of Highland Crest at the little North Hills HT (is $2.49 for the HT brand). We go through at least 4 per week, soon to be 5 now that little bit had a birthday and will start drinking it as soon as I get her a cup.

It was $3.99 at the HT on Creedmoor on the way back from a pediatric dentist appointment and I said, "the:poop:I will..."

I also have to buy the half gallon cartons of lactose free and I think they are $5 regular price, but usually on sale for $3.50-ish.

I guess that answers the weekly question in my house of ‘why dafuq does the grocery bill seem so high’…’let me see the receipt’. I reckon I need to do some price comparisons.

I guess that answers the weekly question in my house of ‘why dafuq does the grocery bill seem so high’…’let me see the receipt’. I reckon I need to do some price comparisons.
Different HTs have different prices. In any case, the days of us spending $50/wk on groceries are long gone. It's more likely to be about $200/wk even with Cyd being a superstar shopper. That number has been creeping up from about $150 earlier this year.

Different HTs have different prices. In any case, the days of us spending $50/wk on groceries are long gone. It's more likely to be about $200/wk even with Cyd being a superstar shopper. That number has been creeping up from about $150 earlier this year.
$150 up to $200 matches up with 5% inflation on the CPI, right? :confused:

Back