The Grocery Budget Challenge

Usually worth it for the motor oil prices.
12 quart boxes!!! Glad both our regular vehicles use the same grade/weight of oil so I only have to buy one thing from that place.

My wife does Instacart and she says its saved a lot because she doesn't wander around and buy things that weren't on the list, haha.
This is why I prefer to be the one to go to the store. Wife will say we need….ground beef and broccoli. She’ll come back with $90 of other items added on. I’ll come back with 2 items, ground beef…. And broccoli.

Quick Lidl trip for the staples: $118

The picture doesn't show what had already been put away before I thought about taking it. :lol:

So 2# chicken thighs, medium and small tortillas, butter, cereal, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, strawberries, cilantro, 2 bags of stir fry veggies, green peppers, 2# carrots, 2 broccoli crowns, 2 cans of beans, a can of corn, a 12 oz bag, each, of milk chocolate and white chocolate morsels, 5# flour, plus 4 gal milk, 2 bag salads, 1 case seltzer, a tub of hummus, 1# block of mozzarella, a 1.5# carton of cherry tomatoes, a bag of grapes, a block of cream cheese, bagels, 2 loaves of sliced bread, 6 pretzel rolls, and 6 bananas.

20240730_140802.jpg

Edit: oh, and 2# deli meat and Italian shortbread cookies. :lol:

I didn't buy eggs because in-laws with chickens brought us 3 dz last week and I already have short ribs and 2# of ground beef thawing from the freezer.

Last edited:
12 quart boxes!!! Glad both our regular vehicles use the same grade/weight of oil so I only have to buy one thing from that place.
Yup, one 12qt box only costs a bit more than six quarts (big jug and a single) from the parts house.

Back