The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

Not what I wanted to hear. Don't want to have to buy more tube or a die. Who can bend 1 or 1.5''.

I can bend either of those if you get to that point.

Slowly but surely I'll get this thing done. I'm still collecting parts almost daily. I picked up my steering orbital today from a guy off the board. It's a Trail Gear 125 mL(7.6 c.i.) which will be about three turns lock to lock on a 8x2 cylinder close as I can figure. It is new in the box. Glad I found this cause I was about to go with a forklift orbital which I knew I would hate. My stock pump I used with the hydro assist on the cj5 is probably not going to be good enough. What yall think? I did do the Texas Offroad upgrade on it and it worked alot better on the assist but I don't know about full hydro.

Also picked up a E-350 brake master cylinder to better serve the four wheel disc brakes I will be running. I'm running all new brake lines and was wondering if I need to remove the proportioner valve or leave it?

orbital.jpg

I stole the pic from the for sale ad. Hope you don't mind Travis.

i would probly remove the factory proportioning valve. if you want to have one, i would use an adjustable one.

Are you running a P-pump now? If so, it should be fine. There are a number of ppl that have bought aftermarket pumps to switch back to a stock pump

i would probly remove the factory proportioning valve. if you want to have one, i would use an adjustable one.

Are you running a P-pump now? If so, it should be fine. There are a number of ppl that have bought aftermarket pumps to switch back to a stock pump
Why would they go back to the stock pump? My stock one has the texas off road mods done to it. Where do I get an adjustable P valve?

you can find adjustable p-valves or bias adjusters on any race car site (summit, jegs, speedway)

Most have problems burning up or blowing out the seals in the POS/PSC/etc pumps. They just go back to a modded p-pump. Brandon(Rides) has sent a number of them back for warranty repairs.

DSC00530.JPG

Well I've got started back working a little on the Jeep while I have a little down time waiting on sheetrock to be done on a house remodel I'm doing. I think I figured out why I slowed down some on my build. Everything is so agrivating. I bought oxygen and acetalene for the torch and welder and when I hooked the regulator and flowmeter up to them both of them blew out. I cleaned my 14 bolt up real good and painted it, disc brake brackets, and pinion guard. After I got everything put back together I tried installing my calipers and they wouldn't go on. I'm informed now that I may have got a set of brackets out of "a bad batch". I've got another set coming but dang now I have to tear everything back down and also repaint the new brackets.
So I figured I'd put my new pinion seal in and install the pinion guard only to find out the wrong bolts were sent with it. So moving on I thought there is nothing else to do but put my new diff cover on. After 30 or 40 minutes of wallering out the bolt holes so the bolts would fit I finally got it installed.

I decided against doing a major shave of the 14 bolt but while I had nothing else to do I did cut off and ground down what excess meat I could and rounded out the sharp edges that might hang on a rock. After all was said and done I removed maybe 5/8 of an inch. It doesn't sound like alot but I figured every little bit helps.

I think I'm really procrastonating till I finally just decide to link it. lol

That is basically all for this update except I'm still collecting parts and still studying some on what I want and how to do it. I did finally find a set or two of the wagoneer springs w/ the seven springs that I needed for the front. I also got an extra set of xj springs so I can add an extra spring or two to my existing pack when needed.

If you are going to run XJ leafs on the rear, make sure to run two main leafs. Cut the eyes off of one where they wrap under the other. This will prevent bending them on your first trip out.

Thanks John and Steve That's what I've been looking for. I knew I had to add a spring or two I just didn't know exactly which ones.

I know I should just go ahead and link this sucker but if I have to many problems w/ the leaf spring stretch it will just give me another project in a couple years

You talking bout procrastination, I dived into switching gas tanks, today! I had picked up like a new tank, w/skidplate, from Kenneth, on the way home from Golden Mtn. I had dis-assembled it, cleaned, & re-painted, it.
Bought a new sending unit, last Saturday. So, I thought it was time today, to get busy. Got the old tank out, after pumping out 10 gal. Picked up an universal inline electric pump, from Advance Store. Going to use that to prime up my carb, & as a backup. Reassembled the Factory tank. Was 6pm., by then, my back is hurting, & I want to get New rubber fuel lines, so that was a good reason to stop. Couple more evenings, should finish it.
It sounds so simple, but, there's always a couple of phone calls, trip to parts store, & I like to take my time, & do everything perfect, as I can. May be loosing 5gal. cap., but gaining 1 1/2" ground clearance, & dropping 40lbs., just in the tank!:D

Link it and be done you will thank yourself later :)

But if you decide to stay with springs let me know I have some stuff you might want
Boomerang shackles, mounts, look at my build thread the first couple pages

Heck, Rodney's got the patience of Job. He's been waiting on me to finish a pair of 44's for his Jeep at least 5 years now.

Not the way it's looking I'll be much longer. There has been very few parts I've ordered bolted up the way they were suppose to. My luck is just awful. My d60 front cover had over $250 worth of shipping on it before it was right and the last one I got I had to work on it for twenty minutes to make it work. I was just tired of shipping it back.
I've got a long list of things that havent worked the way they were suppose to including most the stuff I've bought at autozone.

BTW if anyone buys inner axled seals for an '84 chevy dana 60 from autozone you will receive the wrong seals. The part number in their computer system are seals for a d44 or something. I told them about it and noone seemed to care to look into it so I said screw it and went to O'reiley's and bought the right ones.

It's not luck, it's Murphy! I don't know the sumbiches first name, and I won't call him Mr., but you can bet that anything you try to do right he will, nine out of ten times, see to it you have to do it three times... minimum. I'm just happy to hear that I'm not the only one he's screwing with. Now, go get your work done! :lol:

Back