The Money Pit- Lockedup5's YJ on Tons-- Updated Phase Two 2016-- 6.0 swap!!!

Looking great! Do you do landscaping because you sir have quite a few shovels and rakes.

Edit: BTW, those seats look REALLY comfortable. I may have to give Oliver's a call.

I did do landscaping and construction. I learned over the years if you hire someone to help dig a ditch or use any type of hand tool like rakes or sledge hammers you might as well send two of each tool because one of each is going to get broken some how. :mad:

Call Dave at Oliver's he will hook you up.

I like the plans and love how its coming together. Looks killer. Good choice on the round lights!

I have been lazy about updating. Just noticed I forgot a step. Just before Halloween (before it got cold) I did manage to get the engine pulled out of ole blue and pressure washed it and the transmission . Thought it might be a little easier to mess with if it was clean. It wasn't to hard to pull since I'd already unbolted everything but the motor mounts back last spring. Plus I had a specialized cherry picker that made the job easy.
This is a super good running AMC 360 which most knows is running on propane. I am still going to run it and wait till a later date to do a 6.0 swap simply because it runs good and I already have my air compressor and welder set up on it that I worked hard on a couple years ago. Plus I do have a spare 360 in case something happens to this one. But I probably will do a 6.0 swap if this one blows.
Thanks to Rodcycle and my buddy Jeff it wasn't to bad of a job.

DSC00130.JPG
DSC00135.JPG
DSC00138.JPG

My kids have had a hand in every step of this build. A hand in my tool box or my carefully layed out bolts if you know what I mean. Na really they help alot by breaking my fall when I trip over them or running out in the yard for me to get the wrench or hammer I've been looking for for 20 min. that they took out there.

I'm not joking but I wouldn't have it any other way.

DSC00806.JPG

DSC00143.JPG

My oldest Mason did help do some cleaning on it.

Last edited:
I did a pretty big project this past week in preperation for some parts I have coming in the first of April. I had to do a little work to the T-18 1B 4-speed that I plan on running that was in the CJ-5.
The project consisted of having to change out my main shaft which was a gear drive output for my old dana 20. I had to install a new 23 spline output shaft and an adapter for the parts coming in.
When I tore into it everything in it was great as far as bearings and gears. Except first gear was rounded off a touch. Being an unsyncronized first gear tranny I didn't really think it was bad enough to change. I never had any trouble out of it so I figured it would be fine. The front seal was hard as a brick and was brittle so it was the only thing that really need changed. But I thought while I had it tore this far down I'd go ahead and throw a complete rebuild kit just for the peace of mind.
Rebuilding this thing wasn't to bad of a job but who ever designed those big ass heavy duty C-clips holding the gears and bearings on and the cheap ass C-clip pliers I was using really needs their asses kicked. If it wasn't for a couple of buddies that stopped by I'd probably never got the gears off the shaft. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get the two bearing clips back on myself. They about whooped me.

This is what it looked like when I opened it. It wasn't really to bad.

DSC00775.JPG

This is a pic of first/reverse gear. I decided to not change it. What would yall have done?

DSC00796.JPG

Pic of the Advance Adapter 23 spline shaft before install and also A/A dana 300 adapter for the T-18

DSC00793.JPG

In order to install the adapter I had to do a little machining. You can see the three piles of shavings in the pic. I had to drill three new holes and tap them to 3/8-16 in order for the adapter to work.

DSC00804.JPG

I knew I had kids for a reason. They worked their butts off cleaning that thing.

DSC00809.JPG

After I did a little touch up cleaning it was spic and span.

DSC00810.JPG

After taking good pics and notes and laying everything out in order I managed to get it all back together. I even managed replaced all 88 roller bearings in the counter shaft w/ the help of lots of vaseline and a broom stick. :gay: Wait that didn't sound right. But if you've ever built one of these transmissions you know what I'm talking about.

DSC00814.JPG

I did try to spiff it up with a little paint. I even wire wheeled the bell housing to clean it up. It was quite a bit of extra work to do this. But was well worth it.

DSC00820.JPG

even though noone will ever see it.

DSC00818.JPG

This is the adapter completed. I'm just glad my new holes lined up good. Two of them were pretty hard to mark for drilling. Really I just got lucky.

DSC00819.JPG

All in all this part of the build was a joy. Everything went smooth, got to learn alot, and got to include the kids too although I occupied them at one point by letting giving them some spray paint which turned out to be a bad idea. I ordered my rebuild kit late afternoon Monday from Transparts Warehouse in California and was sitting on the sidewalk Wednesday when I got home from work which was quick.

The transmission ended up very smooth. I turn it by hand easily and there are no hard spots in it at all. There is no movement in the input shaft that I had before and I hope the new seals and gaskest take care of any leaks I had before.

It's probably not hard to guess but can you guess what parts I'm waiting to bolt on next when they come in?

Last edited:
That washing & painting thing, is starting to look like some of that "Don's" work! Don't it look purdty!:D
That rounding on 1st. gear, just makes it easier to engage! Think that's the way mine looks.:eek:ops:

that thing is so pretty i would hate to put it in the jeep.

That washing & painting thing, is starting to look like some of that "Don's" work! Don't it look purdty!:D
That rounding on 1st. gear, just makes it easier to engage! Think that's the way mine looks.:eek:ops:

Well the wife said if I made this jeep nicer than the other one she would go more often and wouldn't be ashamed to ride in it. So yeah it's getting a little extra paint and polishing.

I do hope the rounding is normal for an almost 40 year old transmission. I don't think it will give any problems.

It shifts smooth enough to smash four fingers.....:handed:

You should've kept your fingers out from where they don't belong. :flipoff2:

It's still funny.

Rodney was holding my shifter plate in the front and back w/ his fingers cupped underneath near the shift rails so I could shift gears on it. Needless to say it fell into first gear pretty hard and mashed two fingers on one hand. This is where it gets funny. I pulled it out of first to get it off his fingers and it fell into second gear mashing two fingers on the other hand. :eek:

You should've kept your fingers out from where they don't belong. :flipoff2:

It's still funny.

Rodney was holding my shifter plate in the front and back w/ his fingers cupped underneath near the shift rails so I could shift gears on it. Needless to say it fell into first gear pretty hard and mashed two fingers on one hand. This is where it gets funny. I pulled it out of first to get it off his fingers and it fell into second gear mashing two fingers on the other hand. :eek:
thats funny right there,i don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Prayers sent for your brother and the rest of your family. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident.

I need to get one of those mines been on stands for 7 months.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk
I've definately learned that they don't get built by looking at them. So here lately I've actually started working on it instead of talking about it and most of my hard stuff has been knocked out. Now I just have to put the puzzle together.

Prayers sent for your brother and the rest of your family. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident.

Thanks

I've definately learned that they don't get built by looking at them. So here lately I've actually started working on it instead of talking about it and most of my hard stuff has been knocked out. Now I just have to put the puzzle together.

This is very true, just have to get in the shop and work on it. Im to the point now where I need funds to proceed.

Back