The "new" towrig...

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
After 2 years, I sold the Mule ('92 F250 4x4) due to a gut feeling that something major was getting ready to die (and severely injure my wallet!)... Looked for several months, but didn't find the right replacement truck...

Rewind to last Tuesday night, MCDB posted up about a "cheap CTD"... figuring it was too good to be true (but not wanting to read about someone else's good fortune)... I fired off a PM to him for info. Called the real owner on Wednesday and made a 200 miler round-trip to check it out. Ended up picking it up late Friday w/ my brother, dad, & nephew!

1993 D350 LE Club Cab
CTD, auto, & D70 w/ 3.54 @ 154K
PW, PL, & "factory tach"(?) on dash
Recent repaint
Interior in great shape (though headliner is fragged)
80gal. AL tank in bed
Goose neck & receiver hitches w/ controller

Engine appears to be bone stock (2700 governed, little smoke under WOT)
Needs a light tuning (TV cable & check throttle swing)
Brakes have a shudder at 55-70mph
DP might to be larger aftermarket(?) & plumbed all the way to 6" stack coming thru bed

Attachments

• 93D350CTD.jpg
    93D350CTD.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 821
Sweet! I got me a "New" tow rig too! Mine is a 1994 f-250 4x4 regular cab with the 351 fuel injected V8. Got some 33 bfg mt's on it (not that great for towing ) but it looks cool! This will suffice till I feel the need(get the money) for the diesel later on.:driver:

get your self soem chrome wheel cover to match the grill and it will look great.. PM me if you want info on how to fix headliner.. I did mine and it is awesome and it was cheap..

Nice truck......my ol' '97 F-250 w/ the 351 will suffice until it's diesel time.

Sweet truck Dave. Smokin deal too.:beer:

get your self soem chrome wheel cover to match the grill and it will look great.. PM me if you want info on how to fix headliner.. I did mine and it is awesome and it was cheap..

And I know this asshole who has a full set of stainless steel ones for sale..

Cool man! Did the press come with it?

have you checked to see what kind of fuel mileage you are getting yet?

the 80 gal tank sounds awesome. expensive to fill up, but you want have to stop for quite some time.

nice rig

Rich - *Which* @$$hole? There are so many! :lol:

mookie - Don't know yet (only had her a couple days and the Moss went down for "hip replacement" on Sat.)... but if I had to guess, when the turbo spools up, the CTD will whip the Ford like a dog!

Brent - :flipoff2:

Noah - no, the press is my brothers... possession is 9/10ths... OK, it's MINE!

hrtj - It has the stock 30gal. tank *and* the rear 80gal. tank... took a whole Grant to top off the 30g from just under 1/2, so I'm sure topping off the whole 110gal would be ugly. OTOH, should work nice for grease...

Planning to cruise it (unloaded) to Swannanoa this weekend, so I'll have a bit better handle on mileage. I'd be pleased w/ 20mpg (OD & 3.54)

*Unloaded* Mileage update (still stock save the open exhaust)...

- 210 miles, 70 in-town remainder on I-40 @ 70-75mph = 16.4mpg

- 145 miles, ALL highway @ 72mph = 20mpg

Seems loving the skinny pedal brings the suckage to the city MPG :D

dang thats really good mileage for something that heavy. i think i need to get one to double as a DD and towrig :driver:

welcome to the club!!

get you a new governor spring so you can keep the fuel coming...

if you need a few tips/hints (not sure how much you know about the 1st Gens, maybe 10x more than me), let me know...

Greg

Attachments

• DSCN1543.JPG
    DSCN1543.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 416
Was planning the 3200 spring, BUT was told this weekend that it would make little difference with the automatic?

Will be posting to DTR very soon... :D

well...then ditch the auto...:)

I really don't know since I have the 5-speed...but it made a huge difference with mine, along with the basic throttle linkage adjustment...

redid the intake on the cheap, bigger compressor housing, smaller exhaust housing, different fuel pin...

it went from hitting ~15 PSI in 3rd to 37 PSI in 3rd...

oh yeah...the real nice thing to do is install a "valet" switch...so you can have a tow/play switch...fairly inexpensive, and I actually did a brief write-up on DTR with part numbers...

Greg

Back