The North Carolina Gas Tax Will Increase 15% On New Year's Day! TAKE ACTION!

BlueRidgeRunner

This is no joke! North Carolinians need to rise up and speak out against higher fuel prices. Sign the petition, Pass this on to your friends, family and other boards. We already pay too much. January is coming fast. Its time we put the brakes on this unfair tax. Here is a few facts from

http://www.stopthegastaxhike.com/

FACT
North Carolina politicians -- like the Arab Oil Cartel - are windfall winners from higher gas prices. N.C. divides the gas tax into two parts -- a flat 17.5 cents /gallon + 7% of the wholesale price. When gas prices rise, North Carolina politicians automatically have more money to spend. The wholesale price is up -- so drivers will pay a 15% tax increase beginning in January.

Visit http://www.stopthegastaxhike.com/ and read the rest of the dirty details. Sign the petition and pass this on!

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE PETITION DIRECTLY

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.
It costs alot of money to run a state. Taxes pay for that.
Higher gas costs suck, no question. Hurts me just like everybody else.
Look at the numbers. This is 3 cents per gallon increase. lets be honest here, on top of $2.70+ already, what difference does 3 cents make? The price fluctuates up or down by more than that every week - hell stations across the street from one another are often more different than that.

Yes, Easley refused to temporarily repeal the gas tax. Why? Not because he likes to rip us off, come on. it's b/c the state has to run on a budget, which it is already over by hundreds of millions of dollars. If he HAD repealed it, where would that money have had to pulled out of? Education? Public safety?

Yes, NC did get a little extra when things exploded back in Sept. But not that much more - notice more than 1/2 the $$ they get is FLAT - has nothing to do w/ teh per-gallon price. So for that part, makes NO DIFFERENCE what the market price is. Only a small part is a % of the sale price.
But, look at how low prices have been lately. Lower than they were even well before the whole Katrina thing. So comparatively as of late, teh state is pulling in LESS than they have been.

"North Carolina politicians automatically have more money to spend."
This makes it sound like they're just taking it for themselves, into lawmakers' pockets or something. Come on, it just means that this line item on the budget is bigger - its still billed for the same use as before.

Look around the world, guys. We pay less for gas than just about anybody. Yes it sucks. But it costs money to get things done. And if you don't agree with what the $$ is being used for, then go to the source and talk to yer local rep. But just saying "No we don't want to be taxed" - that dosn't help solve the problem at all.

That's just my humble opinion.
(Now ducking for cover)

Don't know if it will help, but I signed it. Hope like hell it helps.

keep those prices down!!! Darn near $2.18 for regular now!! NC, from what I hear, has one of the highest, if not the higheset gas taxes in the country. why???

well put ratlabguy! No need to run for cover...im a pol sci major and I agree completely with you. Aaaand no partisanship here...im a republican, and this tax is coming from a democrat controlled state senate, but seriously ppl...it is not that bad and the money is not being stolen.
Granted, there are other sources of revenue that other states use, thus having ower gas prices...but they have to get money elsewhere.

I agree with RatLabGuy. Notice how NC always has orange barrels out, that means they are doing work, and that is why NC roads are so much nicer than anywhere else.

No, I don't like high gas prices, but that is why I have a job, and also why I don't have a larger truck to pull my trail rig with.

I signed it. I just drove from Raleigh, to Pitts PA to Cleveland OH and back. Every place I filled was at least .50 lower than NC diesel. Im going to start brewing my own bio, screw taxes.

Tacoma747 said:
I agree with RatLabGuy. Notice how NC always has orange barrels out, that means they are doing work, and that is why NC roads are so much nicer than anywhere else.

Except for about a 12 mile stretch on I40 just West of Raleigh (somewhere over there)!!! I see all kinds of "Work Zone" signs but yet to see any work. Anyone else ever notice it???

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I've actually looked for any signs of work when I pass through there, both east and west bound!!!! Never seen any work whatsoever!!!

I think they keep the signs up to get that extra $200 out of speeders:confused:

I have lived in NC all my life, so not much else to compare it too. BUt what I do know is this. NC is a revenue state. Doing whatever it can to get more money, and I have never been convinced for what!
Recently tags went up. And the revenue is going to what?
NC requires inspection stickers, and the revenue goes to what?
NC just approved the lottery for Education, will this mean more for education? I doubt it, it hasn't in other states. Same amount of money, just more of it comes from gambling instead of taxes. on a side note, many countys are frantically trying to figure out how they will keep school busses running through the remainer of the year because of the increased fuel costs.
NC has allowed more jobs to go to other countrys than about anywhere else. Has done little to bring jobs back in.
It sickens me that this country was founded on double taxation without representation. I know the founding fathers meant well. But lets look at it now. We earn a paycheck, we are taxed. we spend it, the same money is taxed again. we save it, again, we are taxed on any interest we earn. we buy a car, taxed again, sell a car, and the same car that was taxed when bought is taxed again, and everytime it is sold and bought again. IMO NC will charge for anything they can think of.

Our propterty tax rates are higher than a lot of other states also. Our 7% sales tax is among the highest of the states. Dude, If taxes are based on percentages..... why do they always go up?????? Whenever sales taxes were 2% or whatever it covered something in a budget, and now 2% isn't good enought? Raising taxes is a quick fix to a budget problem instead of someone trying to actually fix the budget. It's just a matter of time before before there's a budget decicit again... Most of your elected officials could give a rats ass about you as long as they're getting their salaries and kickbacks...... Loads of money are wasted that we have to cover for. As far as roadwork goes a lot of that is just some excuse as to where the $ is going and to give some state funded jobs. They have been doing roadwork on 40 in greensboro for hell 10 years or so?? I haven't seen ten years worth of work. Same thing in winston with Hawthorne curve on Business 40. They do work here and there on it, then decide to redo the whole damn thing.... There was nothing wrong with it to begin with, people just would never slow down.. more wasted $ Your social security fund is nearly depleted..... because people starting with the nixon administation started "borrowing" out of this fund and they $ was never paid back. It became a crutch for other funding problems... Another budget problem that was never fixed..... and so on and so on

Most of your elected officials could give a rats ass about you as long as they're getting their salaries and kickbacks

Yes, NC did get a little extra when things exploded back in Sept. But not that much more - notice more than 1/2 the $$ they get is FLAT - has nothing to do w/ the per-gallon price. So for that part, makes NO DIFFERENCE what the market price is. Only a small part is a % of the sale price.
But, look at how low prices have been lately. Lower than they were even well before the whole Katrina thing. So comparatively as of late, the state is pulling in LESS than they have been.

The state will be getting a raise. They did not lose anything during the price drop because the percentage they were charging was based on the first half of this years wholesale price. As for roads. I'm sorry. I don't see it. Yes there are orange barrels everywhere BUT look at all the places that the roads are in POOR shape. Has anyone road down highway 49 in Person County lately? How about Piney Plains Road in Cary? Hell I could loose a entire tire off my
F350 in some of the pot holes. :mad: With the population increase they should not need to raise taxes. We have more people paying taxes. We have some of the worse roads here in the country. We used to have the best!

Look at you paycheck stub at what you pay out before you get taxed at the pump. They get you on payday and get you at the pump. Let them keep chipping away at your paycheck. :mad:

If you want to send your House/Senate member a e-mail you can find their e-mail address here:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/GIS/Representation/

I sent e-mails to both of my county Representatives.

You guys want to know why our taxes are getting so bad in NC?

Take a look at the number of illegal immigrant here and the effect that has on taxes. There is an article about it online somewhere, I'll look for it and post it if I can find it.

Illegal immigrants are a huge problem, some of these people are the biggest pieces of trash.... Drinking and driving, no insurance, no license, keeping their drug hookups from accross the border. If they get deported there's no real punishment....they can be ready to border jump again in a few days.. I knew this one guy who needed a distibutor?? (can't remember) put the bad part in the new box and returned it. Said that wasn't the problem and they took it back!! Stuff like that puts people out of business and drives my cost up....

I am originally from Northern VA, one of the most expensive places on the East Coast to live (median house 700,000$), and i was up there last week and even their gas is .15 cheaper per gallon. I am all up for a strong gov't and the need for taxes, but there is obviously something wrong with how they are being spent...

I also agree that NC (and our entire country) is handling the illegal immigration sitiuation very poorly. Also, our welfare system promotes laziness and is a poor excuse of a gov't program.

(stepping off my soapbox)

On a lighter note - HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

rockcity said:
Except for about a 12 mile stretch on I40 just West of Raleigh (somewhere over there)!!! I see all kinds of "Work Zone" signs but yet to see any work. Anyone else ever notice it???

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I've actually looked for any signs of work when I pass through there, both east and west bound!!!! Never seen any work whatsoever!!!

I think they keep the signs up to get that extra $200 out of speeders:confused:

A-MEN, brothurrrrrrrrrr. barrels and work zone signs everywhere, NEVER seen any active work. i think it is just for the extra $200 fine. most other states' work zone signs read "Fine doubled when workers are present" or similar. i.e. work zone fines only when ppl are actually working, not at 2 am when workers are at home sleeping.

ive heard from DOT employees that they always have a surplus and legislature pulls from their funds to do other things. so what do you think will happen to more tax money, hm?

oh yeah, haha...mexicans...DEY TUK ARR JAWBBBBSS!!!

rockcity said:
keep those prices down!!! Darn near $2.18 for regular now!! NC, from what I hear, has one of the highest, if not the higheset gas taxes in the country. why???

Read the article. We are 8th in the nation in gas taxes. Which means that 14% of the other states (7/49) are still charging more.

I am not advocating higher taxes. I do not enjoy it any more than anybody else. I also agree that the $$ is probably not being used very efficiently - yeah there obviously are alot of DOT work projects that are WAAAY out of hand. How 'bout that craziness around Greensboro, widening 40? Good Good what a debacle.
My point is, you have to consoder the state and their budget. Why do the taxes have to go up? Because the state's expenses are going up too - they have to pay for the gas for their big-ass, gas-guzzling trucks too, not to mention things like having to increase workers' salaries to compensate for cost-of-living, and so on.
Meanwhile, income from other places is going down - median income is lower, # of bankruptcy filings at an all-time high, etc These all hurt the net income for teh state. Unfortunately, when the economy turns down it has an effect on everybody through/via the state level, and the crappy part is that taxes have to go UP to stay liquid, whioch just really blows b/c that just makes things worse.
Plus, consider this - as the average efficiency of NC drivers' cars get better, they are consuming less gas, so now if the % tax dosn't change, the net brought in to the state decreases.

Taxes suck. No questions about it. But, having nice things, like, oh, ROADS, well, they have to paid for somehow.

Reading replies here it seems most of the complaints are less about haing to pay more money (we all agree that stinks), but rather about HOW IT IS SPENT. And like I said before, a petition like this will NOT solve that problem.

Immigration, Thats another issue. :kaioken: The issue here is the state of NC taking us to the cleaners on fuel prices. I donno about y'all but I really ain't happy with $2.559 per gallon diesel fuel right now. :kaioken:

ARE WE GOING TO KEEP GETTING HIT WITH MORE TAXES OR ARE WE GONNA OPEN OUR MOUTHS AND DO SOMETHING?

RatLabGuy said:
Taxes suck. No questions about it. But, having nice things, like, oh, ROADS, well, they have to paid for somehow.

maybe they should go back to dirt paths strewn with ruts and huge rocks... hell, we'd all have more fun driving to work in our rigs that way since most of them arent built to handle a high speed daily commute :lol: ... and it would be easier to justify some of the things (swampers, winches, etc.....) we buy for our rigs!!! :flipoff2:

FIRST ON 2!!!!!!

You piss and moan about fuel prices all you want. You live in Roxboro and commute to Cary. You're part of the problem, and it's fine with me that you pay your fair share of the road tax.

BlueRidgeRunner said:
Immigration, Thats another issue. :kaioken: The issue here is the state of NC taking us to the cleaners on fuel prices. I donno about y'all but I really ain't happy with $2.559 per gallon diesel fuel right now. :kaioken:

ARE WE GOING TO KEEP GETTING HIT WITH MORE TAXES OR ARE WE GONNA OPEN OUR MOUTHS AND DO SOMETHING?

I'm not even gonna get into the tax is good or bad thing.
I don't like pouring money in the gas tank any better than anyone else does.

But I do have to say this, because it one of my personal pet peeves.

INTERNET PETITIONS DON'T WORK !!!!!

They are a waste of time and bandwidth.

PERIOD

And sometimes even do more harm than good.

If you want to know why, here are a couple good reads on the subject.

http://www.knowledgehound.com/khhow2s/email_petitions.htm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm

If you are against the gas tax. or want to effect any other type of social reform. Quit wasting your time fooling around with Internet petitions.
That includes, posting them to BBS's, forwarding e-mail versions, signing them, talking about them, and pi$$ing and Moaning about them.

Spend the same ammount of time actually writing to your elected representatives. Or get on a committee. Or write a letter to the editor of your local paper.
And you will get far better results.

Those things DO work.

Someone a couple pages back already posted a link for e-mail addresses to gov't offices. That is a good start.

Here are a couple more

Comprehensive list of NC agencies and departments
http://www.ncgov.com/ncagency/agency_list.asp

NC Agency/Department contact information
http://www.ncgov.com/asp/subpages/contact_us_agency.asp

And here's one for Fed Gov't info

To contact your Representative
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may now return to your regularly scheduled rant, still in progress.

:beer:

RatLabGuy said:
Read the article. We are 8th in the nation in gas taxes. Which means that 14% of the other states (7/49) are still charging more.
My point is, you have to consoder the state and their budget. Why do the taxes have to go up? Because the state's expenses are going up too - they have to pay for the gas for their big-ass, gas-guzzling trucks too, not to mention things like having to increase workers' salaries to compensate for cost-of-living, and so on.
Look at how many of those states also do not have tolls to boost highway funds.
Meanwhile, income from other places is going down - median income is lower, # of bankruptcy filings at an all-time high, etc These all hurt the net income for teh state. Unfortunately, when the economy turns down it has an effect on everybody through/via the state level, and the crappy part is that taxes have to go UP to stay liquid, whioch just really blows b/c that just makes things worse.
Plus, consider this - as the average efficiency of NC drivers' cars get better, they are consuming less gas, so now if the % tax dosn't change, the net brought in to the state decreases.
That formula, to be correct, would have to assume that there is no net increase in additional residents or revenues generated.

Reading replies here it seems most of the complaints are less about haing to pay more money (we all agree that stinks), but rather about HOW IT IS SPENT. And like I said before, a petition like this will NOT solve that problem.

I am pissed that they raise the taxes on residents w/o looking at tolls as a revenue stream like other states.

saf-t scissors said:
You piss and moan about fuel prices all you want. You live in Roxboro and commute to Cary. You're part of the problem, and it's fine with me that you pay your fair share of the road tax.

This ain't pissing and moaning. I pay my fawking share. It is a damn TAX INCREASE! Do you not to realize this? This has not got a damn thing to do with where I work. :mad:

Hate to tell ya'll this but a lot of e-mails stopped the TTA train project here. I was one of those that spread the word.

It ought to be against the law for some people to breathe perfectly good air.

Back