The proud parent thread.

I find this is my biggest struggle as a parent. The kids can really push my buttons sometimes, and i am stern with them when i need to be, but i have to remember there is no use in getting mad over them just being kids.
This is my biggest problem right now. It's like, I can't wait to see her after working all day and for her to tell me all about what she did, but then she can really get under my skin like no other and I just end up frustrated and mad and then I take it out on everyone... I am working on it, but damn is it hard.

This is my biggest problem right now. It's like, I can't wait to see her after working all day and for her to tell me all about what she did, but then she can really get under my skin like no other and I just end up frustrated and mad and then I take it out on everyone... I am working on it, but damn is it hard.

I remember years ago, before having kids was even a thought for me…my mother was having a conversation with someone about this topic. My moms ultimate response was, out of everyone in the world, they wanted to share XYZ with you…you may not care, but they do…that’s how you cultivate excitement and growth. They’re nothing more than little humans, trying to navigate life. And that stick with me.

Meaning…who cares if you don’t want to see their red balloon, they’re excited about it. Who cares if they don’t know how to yo-yo and they’re making you watch for the 37th time, you’re bonding. Put yourself in their shoes, if everyone shit on everything you’re excited about or want to learn about (maybe they do), what kind of mood would that put you in? Personally, one of the coolest things about children to me is their wonder and amazement in such simple things…I want them to hold on to that innocence and energy for as long as possible. I’m not saying I’m perfect and don’t lose my cool, but when I notice I start getting irritated, I sit back and ask myself, if I were them, how would I want me to act.

if everyone shit on everything you’re excited about or want to learn about (maybe they do), what kind of mood would that put you in?
This is a fundamental difference between childhood and adulthood that I wish I would have understood when I was younger.

if everyone shit on everything you’re excited about or want to learn about (maybe they do), what kind of mood would that put you in?
That's a fresh new perspective I hadn't considered. Certainly explains the behavior of a few folks that really puzzled me before you made this connection for me.

I remember years ago, before having kids was even a thought for me…my mother was having a conversation with someone about this topic. My moms ultimate response was, out of everyone in the world, they wanted to share XYZ with you…you may not care, but they do…that’s how you cultivate excitement and growth. They’re nothing more than little humans, trying to navigate life. And that stick with me.

Meaning…who cares if you don’t want to see their red balloon, they’re excited about it. Who cares if they don’t know how to yo-yo and they’re making you watch for the 37th time, you’re bonding. Put yourself in their shoes, if everyone shit on everything you’re excited about or want to learn about (maybe they do), what kind of mood would that put you in? Personally, one of the coolest things about children to me is their wonder and amazement in such simple things…I want them to hold on to that innocence and energy for as long as possible. I’m not saying I’m perfect and don’t lose my cool, but when I notice I start getting irritated, I sit back and ask myself, if I were them, how would I want me to act.
^^^This!
This is one of the things that I have been working on a lot for the past couple of months, especially since its cold and dark during this time and I just seem to be in less of a good mood during this time of the year. I have learned that the time that I want to sit and relax for 10 minutes coincides with when my daughter wants to tell me all the cool things she did, drew, saw, picked up, smelled, etc and I know that I need to give her that one on one attention right then and there and once she gets all that out, she is ready to start relaxing (whatever that means to a 4 year old)

My daughter: College is so hard. This is literally killing me. I'm so stupid. I'm dropping out.

In the mail today...

Kylie Deans List.jpg

....... they’re excited about it. ........... Personally, one of the coolest things about children to me is their wonder and amazement in such simple things…I want them to hold on to that innocence and energy for as long as possible.

I've always said as kids we don't remember discovering the world.
One of the best things about having kids is watching them discover it.
The wonder and amazement at what they see, do and learn in their first time experiences is more priceless that yours.
Now I get to do it all over again with grand-babies!

View attachment 390762Little bit is working hard to catch up to the big kids. She has a stool for washing hands and brushing teeth in the bathroom but she just drags it around and gets things done. :lol:

Must be contagious…my girls waiting for the water to start boiling for some Ramen.

FB1DF380-B8D8-4765-AC42-6013063ECD60.jpeg

Munchkin was "reading" to Ollie. They sat like this for a long time.

20230128_090338.jpg

So I took the kids to their favorite restaurant (when they were kids) tonight in celebration of accomplishments.

My oldest (son) was promoted to manager and sous-chef at Nobles (roosters) in WS.
As a result decided to buy a house. So he closes March 1 on his own home 🤘🏼

Middle child (daughter) passed her last exam this week to become a certified financial planner (she and her husband bought a house last year)

And my youngest child is graduating ASU in May and is going to grad school. So big celebration tonight for all 3

Everybody talking about their kids accomplishments and my kid just told me that his peebug was cold.

View attachment 390879

That's alright. Mine told me he had to wear extra pants and a coat so the squirrels didn't eat his penis on our squirrel hut lol.

Everybody talking about their kids accomplishments and my kid just told me that his peebug was cold.

View attachment 390879

If it make you feel any better, my 5yo (girl), was 3 at the time…wanted to pee outside like daddy. She dropped her pants arched back as far as she could and sprayed the closest tree. I was both proud and mortified. Not long after that, she was taught how to squat out in the woods.

The 5yo (6 next month) daughter decided she wanted a change of pace from dance and gymnastics and wanted to play soccer. She's never played before. I'm not a big fan of 'rec leagues' where everyone gets to play. So I wanted to find as competitive of a league as possible and found that the USL has a regional developmental league (different from their rec league) and took her to a try out with 100ish different kids. Got the letter today that she was selected for the 8u squad. I know absolutely nothing about soccer, and she's never played...so this should be an experience. I figure worst case scenario, she's no good and I can drop her back to a 'fun' league, but she was pretty stoked to get one of the two open slots.

The 5yo (6 next month) daughter decided she wanted a change of pace from dance and gymnastics and wanted to play soccer. She's never played before. I'm not a big fan of 'rec leagues' where everyone gets to play. So I wanted to find as competitive of a league as possible and found that the USL has a regional developmental league (different from their rec league) and took her to a try out with 100ish different kids. Got the letter today that she was selected for the 8u squad. I know absolutely nothing about soccer, and she's never played...so this should be an experience. I figure worst case scenario, she's no good and I can drop her back to a 'fun' league, but she was pretty stoked to get one of the two open slots.
Coming up will be my daughters 3rd season playing it. She just moved up to the 6U league this year and I was never really a fan of her playing soccer since I am not a big fan of it, but she loves it and it is actually really good for her. She gets her energy out, she is learning to play on a team, and she is learning discipline. Starting at the end of this month, she will start having a practice on Monday nights and a game on Saturdays, so it should be interesting, since she is used to having a 30 min practice on Saturdays followed by a 30 min game. I have also found that you really see what kind of a person your child is becoming when they get into sports. I witnessed my daughter on several occasions, stop to help someone on the other team when they got hurt and or fell and that right there is morr precious to me than her scoring all the goals.

Last edited:
Our little girl starts her 3rd season of Soccer tonight and I am just so proud of her. I was cleaning up yesterday at the house and I was putting some stuff away in her room and I just sat on the bed and had a moment. Being a parent is hard. I realized that I need to get down in the floor more with her and just play and stop making excused because there will come a day when she doesn't want to play with me or hang out with me, at least not as much and that realization can bring down the manliest of men.

My soon to be 6yr old wanted to donate her Christmas presents to the area childrens hospitals (Levine, Jeff Gordon, RMH). Told her she didn’t have to do that, but we did make some donations. About a week ago, she said she didn’t want a birthday party and didn’t want presents, she wanted to do a toy drive/collection for the children’s hospitals and bring whatever was collected to the hospitals on her bday (March 26th). She asked if she thought other people would want to help. Told her maybe, but not to be disappointed if no one did. She said people like to help kids, and asked if she could make a video so more people would know. We figured if there was a productive use of social media this would be it. Her and my wife made a video last night, posted it around 10pm, by 10am she had 20 purchases against the wishlist, mostly from strangers. Proud of my daughter and heartwarming to see people are still good.

BA68C62C-03FA-4083-A86E-6C724DD889A4.jpeg

I don’t want to pander…but if anyone is interested in participating…here’s the link to the stuff my daughter thought those kids would like…

My soon to be 6yr old wanted to donate her Christmas presents to the area childrens hospitals (Levine, Jeff Gordon, RMH). Told her she didn’t have to do that, but we did make some donations. About a week ago, she said she didn’t want a birthday party and didn’t want presents, she wanted to do a toy drive/collection for the children’s hospitals and bring whatever was collected to the hospitals on her bday (March 26th). She asked if she thought other people would want to help. Told her maybe, but not to be disappointed if no one did. She said people like to help kids, and asked if she could make a video so more people would know. We figured if there was a productive use of social media this would be it. Her and my wife made a video last night, posted it around 10pm, by 10am she had 20 purchases against the wishlist, mostly from strangers. Proud of my daughter and heartwarming to see people are still good.

View attachment 392995

I don’t want to pander…but if anyone is interested in participating…here’s the link to the stuff my daughter thought those kids would like…

Sent 2 items your way

Back