The Wrangler Half Top / Half Cab Build

APJeeps

Aaron Darnell
Welcome to the half top build thread where you obliviously want to know how to make one for your wrangler. Now if you're lost and you have no idea what a half top is or what it is here's the place, lets begin...

A half top is a literally as it sounds, it's half the size of a normal jeep top, giving the jeep a almost truck look.

image.jpeg

Some people love this look and some people hate it.. I for one really like it and there is a company out there who professionally makes these top ready to go however with a price tag of 1400-1700$ (YJ top) I could not justify spending that much

Your next choice you could go with is a CJ8 half top. That's right Jeep actually offered these with scramblers. When in decent shape these are a prime option assuming you have a CJ or a YJ... Sorry TJs and JKs... These are great..if you can find one... For some reason people love to buy and keep these things and not sell them (oh yeah cause they're freaking awesome) but when you do find one expect to pay a good bit. Normally anywhere from 500-1300 depending on condition and if it has a bulkhead. They look like this!

image.jpeg

Okay okay you do have another choice if you want go with a soft top they do offer a soft top version of a half top I know they do for CJ, YJ, TJ... Unsure on JK simply because I have yet to mess with one. They look about like this prices really range on these non waterproof versions can go for 150 or waterproof versions can go for 500-up

image.jpeg

All of these are very good choices and are sure to get you a few looks while on the beach or trail or hey even the mall.

-Now to the fun part. Me on the other hand wanted to do something different I have desided to build my own top using a old hardtop I had laying around.

My top will include
A waterproof rear window
2 waterproof side windows
A bed cover
And duh the half top look!

-Now things to note this build WILL involve you using a top you do not mind cutting up. And will involve decent measuring skill and general fab skills

-I do not own or claim to own any pictures in this posting or postings ahead simply shown for demonstration purpose only.

Last edited:
Alright, so to continue on this tread, let's start. Now my top is about finished but my phone finally desided to die on me and I went and got a new one so I will have to dig up some pics and I'll add them as I find them.

This is how I built mine. This is by no means completely how it should be done but it's a start. Feel free to explore and do as you please.

The list
-1 CJ7 or YJ hardtop (considering you're doing a CJ or YJ

-8 L brackets (believe I went with 1in)

- some form of plexi glass for side windows

-rear window for a cj7 top

-2 tubes of waterproof black caulk

-1 sheet of ply board (thickness depends on preference

- 1.5in wood screws (small box)

- small box of self tapping screws

- minwax gel paint (lowes has it) black

- can or so of your choice black spray paint

Back