Tow rig help

Agreed. I read lots of bad things back in the day. Now I see where he's fixed transmissions for people at events that weren't even running his transmissions. So...let's hope! He's got a customer group page, which is nice to get personal experiences from the people.

I also like Lincoln Diesel. I've been running some SAC 45s for a few years. Dan's Diesel is also a good place. If you wanted to stay stock and get more longevity, S&S makes a SAC00.

I cleaned/reused the injector lines the first time. Replaced them the second time. Gray RTV around the top of the nut keeps them from getting a bunch of crud and condensation in them for the next time.

FWIW, I've done injectors in my LB7 twice. I probably should have pulled the cups, but none of them ever moved and no coolant pressure issues, so I left them in place. I do suggest getting your hands on a scanner/monitor to check rail pressure. I had a crapped out injection pump and had no idea after the 2nd set of injectors. It was commanding 23k psi and only making 7k. Having never driven another one of these trucks at the time...I had no idea how it should have felt. It was totally fine during normal driving, never had any problems during hot starts, and never threw a CEL.

Along with directions, if you dive in to it, I have the ATSG manual you could use. Between the two, I don't think you'd run in to anything you couldn't handle. I'd rather do 50 Allisons vs 1 4L60 or 4L80E. You're right though, they are hefty. 350-ish lbs. Most places will hang them on an engine stand with a PTO plate adapter. Pretty handy way to hold it and be able to spin it around.

Are they talking about the slip yoke that goes in the transfer case? If so, lets hope they check the bushing in the tailshaft housing while they're at it.

Agreed. I read lots of bad things back in the day. Now I see where he's fixed transmissions for people at events that weren't even running his transmissions. So...let's hope! He's got a customer group page, which is nice to get personal experiences from the people.

I also like Lincoln Diesel. I've been running some SAC 45s for a few years. Dan's Diesel is also a good place. If you wanted to stay stock and get more longevity, S&S makes a SAC00.

I cleaned/reused the injector lines the first time. Replaced them the second time. Gray RTV around the top of the nut keeps them from getting a bunch of crud and condensation in them for the next time.

FWIW, I've done injectors in my LB7 twice. I probably should have pulled the cups, but none of them ever moved and no coolant pressure issues, so I left them in place. I do suggest getting your hands on a scanner/monitor to check rail pressure. I had a crapped out injection pump and had no idea after the 2nd set of injectors. It was commanding 23k psi and only making 7k. Having never driven another one of these trucks at the time...I had no idea how it should have felt. It was totally fine during normal driving, never had any problems during hot starts, and never threw a CEL.

Along with directions, if you dive in to it, I have the ATSG manual you could use. Between the two, I don't think you'd run in to anything you couldn't handle. I'd rather do 50 Allisons vs 1 4L60 or 4L80E. You're right though, they are hefty. 350-ish lbs. Most places will hang them on an engine stand with a PTO plate adapter. Pretty handy way to hold it and be able to spin it around.

Are they talking about the slip yoke that goes in the transfer case? If so, lets hope they check the bushing in the tailshaft housing while they're at it.
Thanks for all the info! I like the idea about the hoist, that is smart. Yeah so first diesel so a lot of this is new to me. Thanks for all the info. Will definitely be tackling injectors myself. Iā€™m cheap and I can lift these without a hoist. šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m not sure but I would guess that is what they were referring to. This place is pretty competent from everything everyone tells me. Iā€™m guessing that is the tailshaft of the transmission for that bushing? The t-case will be a new unit.

Thanks again

If it's a new transfer case, it'll have a new bushing in it. I'm talking about the bushing where the driveshaft rides in the transfer case.

Injectors aren't bad. Just lots of disassembly and it can be a little tedious. I see lots of guys having fuel leaks afterwards, oil leaks, stripping bolts...I was like, weird, mine went back together fine with no leaks. Almost made me feel like I did something wrong!

There's plenty of pictures of doing injectors in my build thread and if you need anything you can holler at me!

There's plenty of pictures of doing injectors in my build thread and if you need anything you can holler at me!

Awesome. Thank you

Back