Tow "tag" in NC tech?

SHINTON

Can we get the "tag weight" thread info back in here...(heh, I actually need it since I am getting the Excursion...trying to remember, I think you get enough weight for your tow rig (loaded) PLUS the weight of the tow trailer/jeep?

So...8500ish for the Excursion plus as much as 11000 ('max towing for Xcur) for the towing, I would need 18 to 20k tag?

Sam

Excursion is exempt from weighted tags... It's an SUV.. (This is how I remember it)

Personally, I wouldn't (and didn't on my truck) tag for more than 1K over what you're going to tow anyway..

rich- that be true for contents of the vehicle just as a DD, BUT your still responsible for any extra weight TOWed, FWIW im paid for 15k

But the SUV's are classified as station wagons under 20-87 (5)... a pickup is a property hauling vehicle...

That's the loophole as it was explained to me.

The plate weight fees refer only to "property hauling vehicle".

Susan?

Yep... that's the way it's always been for me with the Bronco. It was a Station Wagon in VA, a Multipurpose Vehicle in MD, and a car in NC.

Trucks are the only ones subject to weighted tags.

I'm with you MiesterYager (the extra cabbage up front is *way* better than the consequences of a ticket/denied insurance claim later)... ain't saying what it is quite yet, but mine'll be wearing 15K tags... Monday-ish! :D

Caver Dave said:
I'm with you MiesterYager (the extra cabbage up front is *way* better than the consequences of a ticket/denied insurance claim later)... ain't saying what it is quite yet, but mine'll be wearing 15K tags... Monday-ish! :D
You bought it huh?

saf-t scissors said:
Yep... that's the way it's always been for me with the Bronco. It was a Station Wagon in VA, a Multipurpose Vehicle in MD, and a car in NC.

Trucks are the only ones subject to weighted tags.

Actually, I hunted through the NC vehicle statutes, and I can't find anything to support this. The way it's worded, if it has a GCVW over 7K, it has to have weighted tags.... even if it's a Crown Vic.

Edit: stupid NC DOT laws.

According to NC4X4's lawyer, it all depends on the definition of property carrying vehicle, which in the state of NC is a truck. She looked this up last time this was brought up, might even be posted still.

...so give up the goods CDave!!! (It could be in another thread...will peek around) You gonna be PSD too? We may outnumber the Cummins boys yet...heck we may now!

Sam

well...since it's almost a done deal...

'02 F250 4x4
SuperCab (extended cab) "short bed"
7.3L PSD/Auto
Lariat (everything but heated seats , sunroof, & a "homey" to drive me around :D )
Champagne/Black lower and tan leather

Damn, I need to get in the Ford diesel transmission repair business!

Sounds like a real nice rig.. both of ya!

Rich said:
Damn, I need to get in the Ford diesel transmission repair business!

Sounds like a real nice rig.. both of ya!

...this coming from mr Tranny just puked himself! :)

I 'wanted' a Duramax/Allison combo, but ya take whatcha find at times! :)

Rob, CDave, Sam....all PSD...starting to outnumber ya Rich heh!

Rob said:
According to NC4X4's lawyer, it all depends on the definition of property carrying vehicle, which in the state of NC is a truck. She looked this up last time this was brought up, might even be posted still.

I'd be interested to see it if you can find it again. I just reread the statute...

(31) Property‑Hauling Vehicles. –
a. Vehicles used for the transportation of property.
d. Semitrailers. – Vehicles without motive power designed for carrying property or persons and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, and so constructed that part of their weight or their load rests upon or is carried by the pulling vehicle.
e. Trailers. – Vehicles without motive power designed for carrying property or persons wholly on their own structure and to be drawn by a motor vehicle, including "pole trailers" or a pair of wheels used primarily to balance a load rather than for purposes of transportation.

So if it transports property, it is a property-hauling vehicle. This coincides with the rules on pig cookers, too -- a pig cooker trailer does not have to have tags, so long as it does not carry property. That includes the pig, too.

20-88 goes into the rules on property-hauling vehicles in greater detail, but it really only outlines the fees, definitions and use of "farm" vehicles, etc.

SHINTON said:
...this coming from mr Tranny just puked himself! :)
Not my fault ATS let some POS part into one of their trannies.. I was just the unlucky recipient! ;)

SHINTON said:
Rob, CDave, Sam....all PSD...starting to outnumber ya Rich heh!
Heh...this is true, but not one of them can outRUN me.. :flipoff2:

Like I tell Rob...let's see how good your stuff is doing at 230,000 miles.. :D

uh ........... my towrig has on board air .......... :driver:
12k weighted tags

JB :D

Caver Dave said:
well...since it's almost a done deal...

'02 F250 4x4
SuperCab (extended cab) "short bed"
7.3L PSD/Auto
Lariat (everything but heated seats , sunroof, & a "homey" to drive me around :D )
Champagne/Black lower and tan leather

Well, I started having "remorse"/"cold feet" (not sure what it was, but a bad gut feeling) and canked the deal this AM... :(

SO. I'm back to looking once again...

Caver Dave said:
Well, I started having "remorse"/"cold feet" (not sure what it was, but a bad gut feeling) and canked the deal this AM... :(

SO. I'm back to looking once again...
thata a boy. now go find a ctd

So if I want to tow my Xj with my Gmc s15 Jimmy it is ok but If I tow it with my J10 I need Weighted tags?

Here is a article from WRAL last year:

From WRAL's web page:

DMV Uses New Technology To Ensure Collection Of Truck Registration Fees

POSTED: 6:58 p.m. EDT June 4, 2003
UPDATED: 7:51 p.m. EDT June 4, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- According to state law, size and weight matters when it comes to pickup trucks.

Many people like the extended-cab trucks for personal use. But they are not thrilled about paying for the added weight.

The Department of Motor Vehicles is using new technology to make sure drivers pay fees based on the weight of the truck. The new enforcement will cost some drivers more -- and bring in millions for the state.

For years, pickup truck drivers lived on the honor system to pay for registrations based on the weight of their vehicles. Now, new truck buyers are forced to follow the law.

The DMV recently sent a letter to truck dealers, telling them the state has created a computer database with the shipping weight of all new trucks. If a pickup exceeds 4,500 pounds, the DMV knows it, and the buyer can't get a title unless he or she pays an extra $13 to $25 for the registration.

"This forces them to pay a little more to comply with the law," said Carol Howard, deputy commissioner of the DMV. "To pay a little more because of the weight of the vehicle and the damage it does to the roads."

So far, the registration weight requirements only apply to big trucks. There are many big SUVs that go well above 5,000 pounds, but for now, they are exempt.

Many motorists like the extended-cab trucks for personal use. They're not thrilled about paying for the added weight.

"That's why I pay road tax on this thing to begin with," said truck buyer Jimmy Elixson, "for road use. I don't need to be paying more for the licenses on it."

The DMV estimates thousands of truck drivers don't pay the proper registration.

When told she makes it appear the DMV has lost millions over the years, Howard replied: "We have."

Well, no more.

By September, the DMV will document the weight for new and old trucks on the road. So, all pickup drivers will be forced to follow the law.

According to the DMV, the changes in registration enforcement will bring an extra $3 million a year into the state highway fund.

BlueRidgeRunner said:
Here is a article from WRAL last year:

From WRAL's web page:
DMV Uses New Technology To Ensure Collection Of Truck Registration Fees
POSTED: 6:58 p.m. EDT June 4, 2003
UPDATED: 7:51 p.m. EDT June 4, 2003

RALEIGH, N.C. -- blahblahblah...
For years, pickup truck drivers lived on the honor system to pay for registrations based on the weight of their vehicles. Now, new truck buyers are forced to follow the law.

The DMV recently sent a letter to truck dealers, ....

Gotta love buying used from a private seller :flipoff2:

What are you looking for?

My boss has his dealers lisense and does some of the local auto auctions.

Maybe I can help?

Good luck.

EDIT: That would be Greensboro, I work in Level Cross.

I wanted to revive this old thread...since I literally will be getting my tags this week. Trying to figure out if I need to budget another hundred plus to get a weighted tag? According to that article SUVs are exempt....which lend's itself to our resident attornies opinion...but that statue sounded vague to me too?

I am sure if I ask the tag place the answer will be the highest fee they can think of...

[I think it was another $10 for every 1000 lbs...thus 15,000 tag is $150? Or is that just for the weight OVER the first 10k, and 15000lbs is actually $50+normal 20 fee?]

FYI...2002 Excursion is the vehicle...

[edit to say THANKS to Legal Eagle...I knew we beat this to death on the old board...! Looks like another positive for the diesel SUV as a tow rig, saves on fees! :) ]

Sam Hinton

Back