Tow "tag" in NC tech?

I think this is what you are looking for

CATEGORY: STANDARD ISSUE
Weighted

Yearly Fee(s) in addition to regular fees:
Regular: License fee based on weight of truck plus heaviest load to be hauled. Rates are:

$.63 per hundred lbs for 7,000 lbs. to 9,000 lbs.

$.78 for 9,001 to 13,000 lbs.

$1.06 for 13,001 to 17,000 lbs.

and $.1.20 for 17,001 to 26,000 lbs.

(a $3.00 driver education fee added to truck rates)

O.k....let me clarify this one more time. You do NOT have to have weighted tags on an SUV, no matter how much weight you haul.

No, the statutes aren't exactly clear, and you have to jump all over the place in them to see all the related statutes, (which is why I'm not going to even try to post them here). However, I have talked directly to DMV about this, and not the peons that work in the offices, the policy makers themselves. DMV interprets "property-hauling vehicle" to INCLUDE pick up trucks, but NOT to include SUVs.

You can take my word for it or not, but I'm done stating it. :flipoff2:

As an aside....even if your tow vehicle does not need weighted tags, you may need a Class A drivers license (non-commercial) depending on the weight you're hauling, i.e. over 10,000 lb being towed needs a Class A.

Hey Susan!!!

I thought that when you and I talked about it before, you said that an SUV *does* need a weighted plate if it is going to tow a trailer weight over like 7000 or 9000? Maybe I'm confused? :)

I'm asking because I currently have my Suburban licensed for 13k, and the whole towing combo (Sub, trailer, TJ, gear) does weigh 13k. Just on the trailer axles I had 6550, so including tongue weight, I am sure the trailer was over 7000.

But if I don't need the weighted plate, then I won't run it! But I'd like to be able to back up my claim if I am questioned.

Thanks!
Richard

thecarman said:
Hey Susan!!!

I thought that when you and I talked about it before, you said that an SUV *does* need a weighted plate if it is going to tow a trailer weight over like 7000 or 9000? Maybe I'm confused? :)

I'm asking because I currently have my Suburban licensed for 13k, and the whole towing combo (Sub, trailer, TJ, gear) does weigh 13k. Just on the trailer axles I had 6550, so including tongue weight, I am sure the trailer was over 7000.

But if I don't need the weighted plate, then I won't run it! But I'd like to be able to back up my claim if I am questioned.

Thanks!
Richard

Richard,
I think it is all who you talk to. Susan is correct from the way the law is.
But FWIW I checked with the local DMV officer in Wendell and was told this.
He also showed me something in his book about it that SUV is one and Towing is another.
He told me that a SUV under the 9000 lb max did not have to get weighted tags. If you add a trailer it change to towing and you would need to have the weight to cover it.
So my question was a jeep towing a small boat 6000 lb be ok? told yes!
Burb / Blaz / big SUV towing a Jeep on trailer 12-15K? told need Weighted to cover.
The SUV is ok but when you add a large load = weighted.

That being said I would bet that you could ask 50 DMV oficers and get 50 different answers.
I would think the judge would need to rule but wake county has a lot of them to.
Thinking about calling the state AG's office and ask them. then getting it on paper.
Jon

That being said I would bet that you could ask 50 DMV oficers and get 50 different answers.

Right, which is why Susan researched it, and went to the head mofo's in charge of DMV, not the peons.

You guy's decide what you want to do, I towed my jeep behind the Expedition for many years with regular tags because I can according to the law. I never had any issues. F350's with big trailers or goosenecks are different.

Rob said:
Right, which is why Susan researched it, and went to the head mofo's in charge of DMV, not the peons.

You guy's decide what you want to do, I towed my jeep behind the Expedition for many years with regular tags because I can according to the law. I never had any issues. F350's with big trailers or goosenecks are different.

Rob,
Like I said. "Susan is correct from the way the law is."

And

Just talking and real life. I think I know the law from what I read, and Susan helped me by saying that I was correct as she has been for some time now.
(OK all her life) She's a good one!! :)

I just wanted to add that a lot of the times the judge will need to rule on it, by this I mean that any of us can get a ticket than need to go to court and get it thrown out.
There are so many people out there that want to do their job and don't know the laws they should or don't care because they know it will cost you a day in court.
I need to show you the warning ticket I got for blowing my horn at someone that cut me off.

They can do what they want and then you go to court. :)
Jon

How can I get a copy of the statutes that show that I don't need a weighted tag for my Burb? I'll put them in the center console so that I always have them with me.

Thanks!
Richard

thecarman said:
How can I get a copy of the statutes that show that I don't need a weighted tag for my Burb? I'll put them in the center console so that I always have them with me.

Legal Eagle said:
No, the statutes aren't exactly clear, and you have to jump all over the place in them to see all the related statutes, (which is why I'm not going to even try to post them here).

;)

thecarman said:

Thanks!
Richard
I would be very nice to Susan, and email her. I doubt she reads this again, the only reason she posted was because I asked her to post her legal expertise. She doesn't read the technical areas too much.

Rob said:
I would be very nice to Susan, and email her. I doubt she reads this again, the only reason she posted was because I asked her to post her legal expertise. She doesn't read the technical areas too much.

I'll do that! :)

:driver:

O.K. We have talked about "trucks" and "SUV's" Do we have any ruling on "Van's" (not the shoes!). Looks as though my next tow rig will be an E350 Stupid Dudy...I'm thinking I'd just go with weighted tags...the ones for the old F250 were all of $165.00 per year...much less than a day in court (missed work and all) and the hassle of trying to get a DMV ticket tossed out...

According to my Lawyer, DMV's definition of a property hauling vehicle is a pick up truck, not a van, or an SUV. She told me tonight, it's not one statute, it's several, and what she gave is an interpretation of several statutes. This is what one of the head guys at DMV told her when we were trying to figure out if we needed weighted tags on the Expedition. LEO's interpret the law however they want to, so if you get a ticket, it's up to you to challenge it. It's up to you how you want to proceed. This subjects been beat to death. Susan and I are done with it.

I called the DMV in Raleigh yesterday to see why if my Jeep has a tag, my trailer has a tag, and my truck have a tag and I pay taxes on all of them why did I need a weighted tag for the truck. The lady I spoke with said since it was not for commercial use that I did not need a weighted tag. Just my 2 cents worth.

NOw I am wondering....Do I need weighted tags on the PSD?? When I transfed my plates from FL. no one at the DMV mentioned anything about a weighted tag for the truck, so I do not have one. Have been haulin the YJ around for 2 years without one. Guess I will call and see what my local yocal says ??

Steve

ricesyj - the lady you spoke with is an idiot. Seems that some people are scared to admit they don't know the answer to something, so they just "wing it", and misinform people.

If/when you get a ticket, what do you think a judge would go by - what's written in the statutes, or what someone at the DMV said?

Ok heres my question. I bought my truck out of state but requested a weighted tag and told them what I would be towing and gave them a rough estimate of the weightso my tags were mailed directly to me. My weighted tag is red but I have seen others that are blue or green. ( the writing of the tag) Does the color signify the weight limits of the tag or what and if so what is the limit of each color. I couldn't get anything out of the DMV here except the different weight ratings

Personalized weighted tags have blue text, non-personalized ones were red, from the ~5 weighted tags I've had.

With the 18 month renewal thing now, I wouldn't be surprised if things will change again soon.

Hey Rich,

How did you go about getting a "weighted" personalized tag? Don't all weighted tags expire in December of the issuing year? I know you aren't DMV....Just thought you'd know from experience.

RG

mmmm... bought mine from a dealer.. and dont have weighted tags.. and have been towing jeeps for 2 years.. dmv never said anything about it..

will have to look into this when i return home.. i dont need a ticket.. wife gets plenty of those..

Hey Pat!

FWIW, the folks at DMV could care less. They'll tell you if you ask, but don't exactly go out of their way to inform you.

The real issue is when/if you get stopped. :(

When Galen & I were both towing to Callalantee back in Oct, a SHP or DMV Enforcement rode beside us both for a mile or so (kinda obvious since I was only going about 35-40mph up the 55mph grade into Boone :D )... looked to be running tag #s pretty furiously. We figured he got the tagged weights back and just left us alone.

I just bought my F250 PSD in Nov. 05 and the dealer sold me a regular 7000lb. tag. Does anyone know if I can upgrade or do I have to pay full cost on a weighted tag for '06?

I am glad I found this thread, I just signed up specifically for this question!
Does the weight refer to Trailer weight, GVWR, or GCWR?
Just bought an 07 Silverado Classic 4x4 Dmax/Alli and got weighted tags.
Shipping weight: 6328 (on registration)
Gross wt: 12,000 (on registration)
GVWR: 9,200
max ball hitch trailer weight (thus max I will tow): 12,000
GCWR (if 5th wheel): 22,000
I plan on towing 12,000 lbs max (thus GCW approx. 20,000 lbs when counting truck, passengers/cargo, and trailer (figuring on 10% tongue load)). Does this mean I need to get my weighted tag upped to 20,000 LB? :confused: Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you need the weighted tag to basically more than the total weight of your truck plus anything you will ever tow. My truck GVWR is 9200, plus the gross on my trailer is 14000, so my weight tag is for 23000, even though I'll never actually be pulling that much.

I am glad I found this thread, I just signed up specifically for this question!
Does the weight refer to Trailer weight, GVWR, or GCWR?
Just bought an 07 Silverado Classic 4x4 Dmax/Alli and got weighted tags.
Shipping weight: 6328 (on registration)
Gross wt: 12,000 (on registration)
GVWR: 9,200
max ball hitch trailer weight (thus max I will tow): 12,000
GCWR (if 5th wheel): 22,000
I plan on towing 12,000 lbs max (thus GCW approx. 20,000 lbs when counting truck, passengers/cargo, and trailer (figuring on 10% tongue load)). Does this mean I need to get my weighted tag upped to 20,000 LB? :confused: Thanks!

My understanding is that you should have enough to cover what your truck/trailer/gear combined weight would be. I took my truck and trailer with the Jeep loaded to a local truck stop and weighed the whole mess. I had probably 500 lbs of gear in the back at the time, plus me and my wife and it weighed out at 14,500 lbs. Figuring on some room for error, I got my tag for 17,000 lbs.

Jeff

You do get 10% though.. 17k is overkill.

my tags are for 14k, I weighed in at 13,500, without any camping gear/spare parts..

Back