Tow "tag" in NC tech?

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by SHINTON, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt

The way this reads it doesn't matter what the trailer is classified as, you have to carry a tag that covers everything.

§ 20-88. Property-hauling vehicles. (a) Determination of Weight. – For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded. The declared gross weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles operated in conjunction with trailers or semitrailers shall include the empty weight of the vehicles to be operated in the combination and the heaviest load to be transported by such combination at any time during the registration period, except that the gross weight of a trailer or semitrailer is not required to be included when the operation is to be in conjunction with a self-propelled property-carrying vehicle which is licensed for 6,000 pounds or less gross weight and the gross weight of such combination does not exceed 9,000 pounds, except wreckers as defined under G.S. 20-4.01(50). Those property-hauling vehicles registered for 4,000 pounds shall be permitted a tolerance of 500 pounds above the weight permitted under the table of weights and rates appearing in subsection (b) of this section

2. t4rghost

t4rghost Active Member

That's what i've always been told too

3. thecarman

thecarman Well-Known Member

For the old airstream camper we have, I tried to get a permanent trailer plate, and they wouldn't give me one. Said I had to have a plate for a camper, which costs more yearly than a regular trailer, and you can't get a permanent plate. My understanding is what you guys are talking about – you don't have to put weight on your truck tag to cover the camper because you have paid for it in the tag of the camper. But if there is a regulation outlining this, I have no idea where to find it

4. paradisePWoffrd

paradisePWoffrd Recovering Project Junkie

I have always heard the same. Tongue weight only. I swear I found it in the statue before, but no luck now.

5. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Well-Known Member

Yeah you can’t get the permanent trailer tag but it still winds up way cheaper for me. I don’t know the statue but I have talked to dmv officers as well as the dmv plate people

6. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

Page 118 of the North Carolina title manual:

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  7. shawn

A camping trailer is not a property hauling vehicle per chapter 20. You need to have a CT title, though. If you have a TR title, the other definition applies.

8. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt

For sake of discussion would a toy hauler not be a property carrying vehicle? Seems like they would fall into both categories as a camper and a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

9. shawn

It depends on what the title says. If the registration says CT, it's a camper. Whether it has a ramp door doesn't matter. Think about a pig cooker or a cement mixer. If it's empty, it's towable equipment. If you put a propane tank or a pig on it, it's now a property hauling trailer. If a trailer has temporary living quarters for recreational purposes, it's a travel trailer. Whether there are groceries in the refrigerator doesn't change the designation.

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  10. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Active Member

I've got "not for hire" stickers on my tow rig, but I'd wager that mine looks more like a commercial truck than most people. "Not for hire" stickers are only to deter DOT from pulling you over to check for commercial regs, not legally required, or even recommended, in any way, shape or form. They just make me feel better about my setup.