Tow "tag" in NC tech?

Please prove me wrong but there is no wording in any of the statutes that supports this.

The way this reads it doesn't matter what the trailer is classified as, you have to carry a tag that covers everything.

§ 20-88. Property-hauling vehicles. (a) Determination of Weight. – For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded. The declared gross weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles operated in conjunction with trailers or semitrailers shall include the empty weight of the vehicles to be operated in the combination and the heaviest load to be transported by such combination at any time during the registration period, except that the gross weight of a trailer or semitrailer is not required to be included when the operation is to be in conjunction with a self-propelled property-carrying vehicle which is licensed for 6,000 pounds or less gross weight and the gross weight of such combination does not exceed 9,000 pounds, except wreckers as defined under G.S. 20-4.01(50). Those property-hauling vehicles registered for 4,000 pounds shall be permitted a tolerance of 500 pounds above the weight permitted under the table of weights and rates appearing in subsection (b) of this section

For campers you only have to cover the weight that's on the truck.

For the old airstream camper we have, I tried to get a permanent trailer plate, and they wouldn't give me one. Said I had to have a plate for a camper, which costs more yearly than a regular trailer, and you can't get a permanent plate. My understanding is what you guys are talking about – you don't have to put weight on your truck tag to cover the camper because you have paid for it in the tag of the camper. But if there is a regulation outlining this, I have no idea where to find it

For the old airstream camper we have, I tried to get a permanent trailer plate, and they wouldn't give me one. Said I had to have a plate for a camper, which costs more yearly than a regular trailer, and you can't get a permanent plate. My understanding is what you guys are talking about – you don't have to put weight on your truck tag to cover the camper because you have paid for it in the tag of the camper. But if there is a regulation outlining this, I have no idea where to find it
I have always heard the same. Tongue weight only. I swear I found it in the statue before, but no luck now.

Yeah you can’t get the permanent trailer tag but it still winds up way cheaper for me. I don’t know the statue but I have talked to dmv officers as well as the dmv plate people

Please prove me wrong but there is no wording in any of the statutes that supports this.

Page 118 of the North Carolina title manual:

Camping Trailers and Fifth Wheels - This unit can be equipped with the same as the conventional travel trailer but
is constructed with a raised forward section that allows a bi-level floor plan. This style is designed to be towed by a
vehicle equipped with a device known as fifth wheel hitch. Camping trailers are not to be included in the weight
declared for license on a truck, if used only for recreational purposes. License weight on the truck should include the
tongue part that is in the truck only, not full weight of camper. Fee for a camping trailer is $11.00.

The way this reads it doesn't matter what the trailer is classified as, you have to carry a tag that covers everything.

§ 20-88. Property-hauling vehicles. (a) Determination of Weight. – For the purpose of licensing, the weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles shall be the empty weight and heaviest load to be transported, as declared by the owner or operator; provided, that any determination of weight shall be made only in units of 1,000 pounds or major fraction thereof, weights of over 500 pounds counted as 1,000 and weights of 500 pounds or less disregarded. The declared gross weight of self-propelled property-carrying vehicles operated in conjunction with trailers or semitrailers shall include the empty weight of the vehicles to be operated in the combination and the heaviest load to be transported by such combination at any time during the registration period, except that the gross weight of a trailer or semitrailer is not required to be included when the operation is to be in conjunction with a self-propelled property-carrying vehicle which is licensed for 6,000 pounds or less gross weight and the gross weight of such combination does not exceed 9,000 pounds, except wreckers as defined under G.S. 20-4.01(50). Those property-hauling vehicles registered for 4,000 pounds shall be permitted a tolerance of 500 pounds above the weight permitted under the table of weights and rates appearing in subsection (b) of this section

A camping trailer is not a property hauling vehicle per chapter 20. You need to have a CT title, though. If you have a TR title, the other definition applies.

A camping trailer is not a property hauling vehicle per chapter 20. You need to have a CT title, though. If you have a TR title, the other definition applies.
For sake of discussion would a toy hauler not be a property carrying vehicle? Seems like they would fall into both categories as a camper and a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For sake of discussion would a toy hauler not be a property carrying vehicle? Seems like they would fall into both categories as a camper and a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It depends on what the title says. If the registration says CT, it's a camper. Whether it has a ramp door doesn't matter. Think about a pig cooker or a cement mixer. If it's empty, it's towable equipment. If you put a propane tank or a pig on it, it's now a property hauling trailer. If a trailer has temporary living quarters for recreational purposes, it's a travel trailer. Whether there are groceries in the refrigerator doesn't change the designation.

I've got "not for hire" stickers on my tow rig, but I'd wager that mine looks more like a commercial truck than most people. "Not for hire" stickers are only to deter DOT from pulling you over to check for commercial regs, not legally required, or even recommended, in any way, shape or form. They just make me feel better about my setup.

quick related question.

if one purchases a tag for more gcvwr than his vehicle is said by the manufacture to tow, is he still good?

example if my 1500hd is rated to tow 8000 weights 6000 and I get a tag for 16k am I good to tow 16k?

quick related question.

if one purchases a tag for more gcvwr than his vehicle is said by the manufacture to tow, is he still good?

example if my 1500hd is rated to tow 8000 weights 6000 and I get a tag for 16k am I good to tow 16k?

From a tag limit you would not get ticketed. Hard to say on the rest would depend on tires and tongue weight but this always leads to a great discussion.

yes great discussion indeed. I have thought about trying to put a camper on a longer trailer for my 1500hd but never did because it would be overweighted.

I've heard that the weight man is only looking for tire rating and tagged weight. Ive also heard "im with the government and I'm here to help" so who knows.

"im with the government and I'm here to help" so who knows.

^^^^^ These words scare me.
And are the only fear i live with everyday.
Fuck GOVCO and the horse they rode in on.

As i get added to yet to another "watchlist"
Oh well...

You'd have to worry most about tongue weight if you did that. The truck's "tow rating" is more of a nebulous number that manufacturers come up with. What you need to know are your tire ratings, and your GAWR. Take your truck to the scales unloaded and that tells you your current axle weights, which will tell you how much room you have on your GAWRs before you're at limit. Tongue weight is also tough, because it the hitch, drawbar, and ball, all have ratings of their own, none of which you'd want to exceed by very much.

Long story short, depends what you mean by "Am I good?". I probably wouldn't want to tow 2x the mfg's tow rating, because you're more than likely not going to have enough brakes for that, or wear out the transmission, but it can work.

Sorry for bumping up an older thread but figured I'd do this instead of making a new one.

So I plan to buy a 2000 short bed ext cab f250 next week in charlotte. I live in New Bern and plan to keep my personal car so plan on towing my personal car back via UHAUL trailer attached to truck. Since I am renting a trailer for a couple days to tow the car with the f250, do I need a weighted tag to cover the truck trailer and car? I don't plan on hauling a trailer after that until I buy a boat. Other question is, if I haul rock/mulch in the truck bed would I need weighted tags?

Sorry for bumping up an older thread but figured I'd do this instead of making a new one.

So I plan to buy a 2000 short bed ext cab f250 next week in charlotte. I live in New Bern and plan to keep my personal car so plan on towing my personal car back via UHAUL trailer attached to truck. Since I am renting a trailer for a couple days to tow the car with the f250, do I need a weighted tag to cover the truck trailer and car? I don't plan on hauling a trailer after that until I buy a boat. Other question is, if I haul rock/mulch in the truck bed would I need weighted tags?
With the bed loaded down with mulch will your truck weigh more than the weight your standard tag will cover?

For example the tag that came on my 1500 was only for 6,000 lbs. My truck weighs by it self just at 5,000 lbs.

So with me and a passenger it technically left only around 500ish lbs for cargo.

Other thing to think about what's the odds of getting weighed for having a bed full of mulch.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Short answer...yes and yes. You could get an 8k weighted tag just so it says weighted and they probably wouldn't ever bother you. Cool to see somebody else from New Bern too!

At a min they'll make you get an 8k due to the weight of the truck. Tags should cover the weight of everything, only exceptions being campers. Most run a 13k as its a pretty good compromise between cost and legal.

Need to give you a shout and catch up, didn't know you were up in New Bern.

At a min they'll make you get an 8k due to the weight of the truck. Tags should cover the weight of everything, only exceptions being campers. Most run a 13k as its a pretty good compromise between cost and legal.

Need to give you a shout and catch up, didn't know you were up in New Bern.

Gotcha. The NC laws are a bit fuzzy when it comes to trucks. I'm probably gonna just get it tagged for the minimum (9k since it's rated for 8800lbs) until I buy a trailer to tow my truck or a boat. We should catch up sometime. I pass through winston and raleigh at least once a month now on my way back to CLT. I moved to New Bern after I finished my masters to work for the NAVY doing aerospace things.

Short answer...yes and yes. You could get an 8k weighted tag just so it says weighted and they probably wouldn't ever bother you. Cool to see somebody else from New Bern too!

Thanks, yeah I just moved to New Bern about 9 months ago. So far I'm loving the area, great fishing out here. Not too much wheeling though and kinda far from where I'm used to. Lmk if you ever need a hand wrenching on something. I'm off 70 closer to Havelock.

Navy...aerospace things? You work on base too?

And then off 70, closer to Havelock? You probably don't live far from me then. I'm on Catfish Lake Road. Hard to miss all my trucks in the yard.

Navy...aerospace things? You work on base too?

And then off 70, closer to Havelock? You probably don't live far from me then. I'm on Catfish Lake Road. Hard to miss all my trucks in the yard.

Yup I work on base doing engineer things. I'm really close to where you're at. I live in Carolina Pines. I haven't been down catfish lake rd, but I know where it is. I haven't gotten my Toyota down here yet as it's still sitting at my parents. I just bought the house about 4 months ago. Also back on topic, I was going to buy a tow rig this weekend, but my gf wrecked her car and now I'm trying to scrounge up some money to help her buy another beater so that she can get to and from work -_-. Guess my tow pig will have to wait for now.

Back