Towing with a Class C RV

adamk

Those that have or have had a Class C RV and hauled your rig, how did the RV fair?

I’m asking this because I’m starting some research on RVs with the hope of being able to tow my YJ or buggy but I’m finding that majority of class c rvs have a tow capacity of 5k pounds. I estimate my YJ around 4500 pounds and the buggy will likely come in around 3800ish. Both of these on my 18’ trailer are well above the average 5k limit. I have found some rvs with higher tow capacities but they end up well out of the budget range I’m looking in ($20k or below). I want to hear from those who have done it.

@cranbiz
@Jason W.

Dylan bought chips class C and towed his jeep to a few events we both have been at, but he's not been on here in forever. It was decent size and had more than a 5k towing capacity.

Before buying the pusher I considered a class C but nothing was in budget. The problem is, the VERY few ones I found that had a 7k tow capacity were ONLY big enough for one ass. Which would be fine for JUST me, but like you, I was looking to bring my wife and dogs

Bob found a Chevy that was in that budget range and he's towed several places now so he is bet he has some good advice

Jason and Josh had a new V10 class C with the 7.3 but it was WAY out of that price range.

$20K should be able to get you something fairly decent. The biggest issue I have is mine isn't really geared for towing and it tells. I'm at 100K and just had the transmission rebuilt. I paid $6K for mine, 1994 that did need some TLC but the bones were solid. I towed 2 seasons with it without any issues. This year it needed a transmission. I'm sure that towing helped it's demise and some of that was probably my fault but it was 30 years old.

It's slow on upgrades, goes like a raped ape on the downhill and pulls good on the straight and level. 24" 454 Chevy with a 4L80e. The data plate says 7K towing. My 16" trailer has a steel deck so it's not light and neither is my JK. I'm probably at or over 7K. I added brakes to the other axle on the trailer for stopping and that helped stopping tremendously. With the replacement transmission, I had the guy put HD internals into it and additional external cooling. Cost me $4k. I probably have about $12K in mine now and 3 years of towing.

With dual axle braking and additional transmission cooling you could tow what you have with a 5K capacity and be safe and dependable but I would look for a 7K that you might have to do a little work to.

They are out there, you just have to be persistent and patient.

@cranbiz
@Jason W.

Dylan bought chips class C and towed his jeep to a few events we both have been at, but he's not been on here in forever. It was decent size and had more than a 5k towing capacity.

Before buying the pusher I considered a class C but nothing was in budget. The problem is, the VERY few ones I found that had a 7k tow capacity were ONLY big enough for one ass. Which would be fine for JUST me, but like you, I was looking to bring my wife and dogs

Bob found a Chevy that was in that budget range and he's towed several places now so he is bet he has some good advice

Jason and Josh had a new V10 class C with the 7.3 but it was WAY out of that price range.

The lack of reasonably priced Class C with the 7-8k towing capacity has pushed me to looking at Class A rigs but the setup for beds just isn’t all that great for families where kids would go to bed before parents. I’ve found that searching for bunkhouse rvs has given more options but they still aren’t that great.

$20K should be able to get you something fairly decent. The biggest issue I have is mine isn't really geared for towing and it tells. I'm at 100K and just had the transmission rebuilt. I paid $6K for mine, 1994 that did need some TLC but the bones were solid. I towed 2 seasons with it without any issues. This year it needed a transmission. I'm sure that towing helped it's demise and some of that was probably my fault but it was 30 years old.

It's slow on upgrades, goes like a raped ape on the downhill and pulls good on the straight and level. 24" 454 Chevy with a 4L80e. The data plate says 7K towing. My 16" trailer has a steel deck so it's not light and neither is my JK. I'm probably at or over 7K. I added brakes to the other axle on the trailer for stopping and that helped stopping tremendously. With the replacement transmission, I had the guy put HD internals into it and additional external cooling. Cost me $4k. I probably have about $12K in mine now and 3 years of towing.

With dual axle braking and additional transmission cooling you could tow what you have with a 5K capacity and be safe and dependable but I would look for a 7K that you might have to do a little work to.

They are out there, you just have to be persistent and patient.

Good note about adding the second axle brakes. I’ll have to keep that in mind if I find something. There’s tons of mid 2000 Class C rigs for sale well within the price I’m looking but majority are based on the E450 platform and, from what I’ve read, it’s the way the frame is lengthened that limits the tow capacity. I was hoping it was just a GVWR vs GCWR thing where we could “pack light” and I’d be able to get away pulling 6-7k behind one.

I guess I should also note that, since I’m in coastal Texas now, this RV would also double has our hurricane living quarters if we ever need to evacuate. Ideally I would haul an our family vehicle behind it (2022 Explorer weighing in at 4600#) so we have a “run around” vehicle if it’s more than a couple days away from home.

The lack of reasonably priced Class C with the 7-8k towing capacity has pushed me to looking at Class A rigs
This opens up a great deal more options as far as budget and towing capacity. Most will have both a dinette and a fold out couch in addition to the bunkhouse. But you're likely stuck with the V10 as one of the only options. Unless you get lucky and find a 8.1 🤘🏿

This opens up a great deal more options as far as budget and towing capacity. Most will have both a dinette and a fold out couch in addition to the bunkhouse. But you're likely stuck with the V10 as one of the only options. Unless you get lucky and find a 8.1 🤘🏿

There’s quite a few diesels (Cummins or Cat) on FB marketplace in the budget and I’ve seen a couple 8.1s. Most are in the 40’ range and I feel like that’s just absolutely huge and more than we need.

You will be surprised on how cramped it can feel once you get settled in one. Mine is small, which was what I thought I wanted. Yes, it fits my usage for a weekend trip but there are times where you sit back and think that you wish you had another couple of feet. In mine, it gets cramped really quickly when I'm cooking and someone needs to hit the head. A full sized bath would be a real treat for me too. Don't have that now. I make due but man, it would be nice to have some room to maneuver around without hitting a wall, counter, tub, etc.

You will be surprised on how cramped it can feel once you get settled in one. Mine is small, which was what I thought I wanted. Yes, it fits my usage for a weekend trip but there are times where you sit back and think that you wish you had another couple of feet. In mine, it gets cramped really quickly when I'm cooking and someone needs to hit the head. A full sized bath would be a real treat for me too. Don't have that now. I make do but man, it would be nice to have some room to maneuver around without hitting a wall, counter, tub, etc.
This^^.

@adamk You may think a 40’ is YUGE! Trust me it’s not especially when you get all your junk, and family, and the dog, and the gold fish in there. I full timed in my 43’ toy hauler for the last year I was stationed in Louisiana and it was just me and I felt constrained.

You may think a 40’ is YUGE! Trust me it’s not
Until you're looking for a gas station big enough to swing that bische around pulling a car trailer.

Pops had a 32ft that I'd take to VIR when I raced Motorcycles.

10346380_10152351809417638_7451000640313045787_n.jpg

And while I only had a 5x10 trailer behind it, trying to get it in and out of a gas station was a nightmare.

This was in the early 2000's when there was next to nothing on the route to VIR from the triad. Mostly 2 lane roads and no big stations like Sheetz or Pilot.

In THOSE conditions, anything over 24ft is gigantic

I have been learning and looking at Class A for a while now. We want a Super C but that’s just not realistic. However a nice older Class A can be had for a reasonable price.
Early 2000s pre- emissions is the way to go. Avoid the 5.9 Cummins. Like my Kodiak, it’s just a pickup truck motor shoved in something too heavy.
Holiday Rambler is a good one. Freightliner chassis and big Cummins engine with the side radiator. The big Cat engine is good too.
Pricing is quite literally all over the place. I see them from $30k to $150k for almost the same rig lol. Just depends on what the seller thinks it’s worth.
One thing I avoid is the ones that are 20 years old with really low miles. They talk that up like a good thing but that just means it’s been sitting most of its life. I’d rather have one with plenty of miles, well used tried and true.
They’re all ugly and gawdy inside but I’ve remodeled 2 campers, it’s easy to spruce them up with some new paint and modernize them.

ill make you a deal

Until you're looking for a gas station big enough to swing that bische around pulling a car trailer.

Pops had a 32ft that I'd take to VIR when I raced Motorcycles.

View attachment 422359

And while I only had a 5x10 trailer behind it, trying to get it in and out of a gas station was a nightmare.

This was in the early 2000's when there was next to nothing on the route to VIR from the triad. Mostly 2 lane roads and no big stations like Sheetz or Pilot.

In THOSE conditions, anything over 24ft is gigantic
Tooooo many times with my big trailer. And sometimes with the camper. It’s always when you’re out of fuel in the middle of nowhere lol 😂 but I manage. My trailer I don’t mind hitting something with time to time lol but not the camper

If you buy diesel on a regular basis and you’re not using the Open Roads app you’re missing out.
Sometimes I save $0.70/gal and sometimes I only save $0.10 but the major advantage is getting to hit the truck lines with no pre-paying or going inside, and they don’t cut me off till 200 gallons. I get the big pump flow rate with no cut off, can pump 80+ gallons in the time it takes to wash the windshield off.
IMG_6081.png

That’s a prime example, you said $20k, but I’d be willing to bet $25k would buy that.

I can’t imagine how nice it would be for the kids to be able to go to the bathroom without me stopping. And the dogs just chillin. So much room going down the road. Plus, engine is in the back so it would be a lot quieter up front.

Bonus, having the AC running off the generator going down the road is great cause it’s already comfy when you arrive. When I travel on a hot day and the camper heats up, it doesn’t cool back down till 2am 🥵

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how nice it would be for the kids to be able to go to the bathroom without me stopping. And the dogs just chillin. So much room going down the road. Plus, engine is in the back so it would be a lot quieter in the back.

Bonus, having the AC running off the generator going down the road is great cause it’s already comfy when you arrive. When I travel on a hot day and the camper heats up, it doesn’t cool back down till 2am 🥵
It is everything you say and more, need a sandwich, just make one! Our Monaco has three slides which makes the living/kitchen area huge. Looks like we will be selling in a few months due to not getting to use it enough:mad:
As for OP regards to towing. We had a 34 or 36'(can't remember) class a gasser, 454, and we pulled our built YJ on tons with 42's with a 18' trailer all over. Went to Harlan, KY, Windrock, TN, Hot Springs AR and Uwharrie and never had any issue. A long pull like Black mountain, i would just gear down, keep the RPMS up and do 35mph till I got to the top. Never overheated, just was not fast up a long grade. In the flat area, just set the cruise and roll on.

Last edited:

Hot campers suck. Most of the time the engine driven AC on my parents' class a keeps the inside cool enough while traveling. Only on particularly hot days do we need to crank the generator and use the big ac's.

Duane

No issues at all the second time..lol The first time there, I did not swing out far enough to make the turn with the Jeep in tow. Ended up having to unhook it so I could back up and swing wider. The 8.3L pulls the hill with ease!

@rubincon @RickyR (haven't seen him here in years) bought an "older" (think gawdy ass stenciled mirrors, disco lighting, and "avocado" interior'd ) diesel pusher in FLA.
Said they were loaded with them (assuming snowbirds having their licenses revoked?) and pricing was comparably "lower than a 1-ton truck" at the time...

Recall it was on a bus chassis with huge storage underneath, washer/dryer, leather recliners, 22.5"s and in really great shape (aside from outdated interior).
IIRC, also had the 8.3L, averaged about 9mpgs from Charleston to URE pulling his ton LJ... "had to check the rear camera to make sure the trailer was still back there"

Back