Tractor tech and Discussion

I have a 2016 Mahindra 4540. There were several deciding factors when I bought mine. The 45 series is a lot different from their compact models. I dont think I have the spreadsheet I made anymore but curb weight and lift capacity were the biggies. Also the model I have was the only new tractor that didn't have regen. It is SOLID and old school. Nothing fancy. The rear fenders are strong enough for my 200lb to stand on with no worry of anything bending. I have a 2019 Kubota l3301 at my house for some technical work that my 4540 is just too big for. Its a nice little tractor and with the shuttle shift, its really user friendly. They cost pretty close to the same. Anyone is welcome to come check them out side by side.

I have a 2016 Mahindra 4540. There were several deciding factors when I bought mine. The 45 series is a lot different from their compact models. I dont think I have the spreadsheet I made anymore but curb weight and lift capacity were the biggies. Also the model I have was the only new tractor that didn't have regen. It is SOLID and old school. Nothing fancy. The rear fenders are strong enough for my 200lb to stand on with no worry of anything bending. I have a 2019 Kubota l3301 at my house for some technical work that my 4540 is just too big for. Its a nice little tractor and with the shuttle shift, its really user friendly. They cost pretty close to the same. Anyone is welcome to come check them out side by side.
Can we hook em together and do wheelies?

The 4500 series’s is a solid tractor. It’s a true tractor not a compact. Very comparable to a late 90’s early 00’s 5 series deere. I was on a lot of Mahindra groups online. Never saw any problems with those but I don’t believe they offer any of the creature comforts like hydrostatic trans and maybe not even shuttle. Unfortunately for me just a little too large for what I needed to do with it as an off-road forklift. Had that not been a constraint I would have definitely bought that instead of the 2358.

If and when I ever get my new kubota I’ll report back. It’s a bit less horsepower than my last tractor but is right in the sweet spot of loader capability vs physical size I was looking for. I went all out on it getting rear remotes, self leveling loader, 4in1 bucket, grapple, suspension seat, cruise etc. hopefully this’ll be the last one I buy for quite a while.

I spend a lot of time on them and pretty well know what i want. I also looked at a 3R deere. A few things I didn’t like were the rear remote valves being mounted to the ROPS seemed awkward and half assed, the metering on Deere’s loader valves is nowhere near as good at kubota for loader work. Kubotas hydraulics are smoother and easier to feather making it much safer moving expensive customer parts with the forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to see the spreadsheet if you find it...
You mention curb weight as a major factor. Ive found that I have a bit of a different opinion than many on this.
hat was your preference, lighter or heavier?

So it sounds like Mihandra has a few drawbacks. So how does the Mihandra compare with the RK or LS tractor? Both are made by TYM...

I do remember Chris talking about his dislike of his Mihandra, which that coupled with a few comparisons online kind of swayed me away from Mihandra and towards the TYM/RK.

You mention curb weight as a major factor. Ive found that I have a bit of a different opinion than many on this.
Really depends what you want to do. The 4540 puts you over a standard car hauler trailer. For me, I wanted a heavy tractor so for instance I dont need a rear ballast if I just want to move some dirt. If I was looking to do more landscape type stuff I would want something lighter so it doesn't leave as big ruts.

The 4500 series’s is a solid tractor. It’s a true tractor not a compact. Very comparable to a late 90’s early 00’s 5 series deere. I was on a lot of Mahindra groups online. Never saw any problems with those but I don’t believe they offer any of the creature comforts like hydrostatic trans and maybe not even shuttle. Unfortunately for me just a little too large for what I needed to do with it as an off-road forklift. Had that not been a constraint I would have definitely bought that instead of the 2358.

If and when I ever get my new kubota I’ll report back. It’s a bit less horsepower than my last tractor but is right in the sweet spot of loader capability vs physical size I was looking for. I went all out on it getting rear remotes, self leveling loader, 4in1 bucket, grapple, suspension seat, cruise etc. hopefully this’ll be the last one I buy for quite a while.

I spend a lot of time on them and pretty well know what i want. I also looked at a 3R deere. A few things I didn’t like were the rear remote valves being mounted to the ROPS seemed awkward and half assed, the metering on Deere’s loader valves is nowhere near as good at kubota for loader work. Kubotas hydraulics are smoother and easier to feather making it much safer moving expensive customer parts with the forks.

I think they had a hydrostatic option but I wasn't interested in it. I have hi/lo 4 gears and reverse. If I have 1 complaint, I wish I had a lower gear but its a big tractor so you really shouldn't be using it for finesse work. Hints why I have my buddies l3301.

So it sounds like Mihandra has a few drawbacks. So how does the Mihandra compare with the RK or LS tractor? Both are made by TYM...

I do remember Chris talking about his dislike of his Mihandra, which that coupled with a few comparisons online kind of swayed me away from Mihandra and towards the TYM/RK.
I wasn't overly impressed with the smaller mahindras. I was leaning towards kioti for the compact stuff before deciding to just buy a full size tractor for the same monies.

Really depends what you want to do. The 4540 puts you over a standard car hauler trailer. For me, I wanted a heavy tractor so for instance I dont need a rear ballast if I just want to move some dirt. If I was looking to do more landscape type stuff I would want something lighter so it doesn't leave as big ruts.
This is me and why I wont give up my Ford 2910.
It weighs enough to actually use the 45hp if i stick a plow in the ground.
Its old beat up but it works...I just wish it had a FEL.

This is me and why I wont give up my Ford 2910.
It weighs enough to actually use the 45hp if i stick a plow in the ground.
Its old beat up but it works...I just wish it had a FEL.
I learnt trakterin on a 2810 and the controls on mine are exactly the same. I just have turn signals, fel, and 4wd

My understanding is that the Korean built mahindras TYM and Rural King tractors are all built essentially in the same place but with different hoods and different loader manufacturers.

Its a tractor. It needs to weigh 100 tons with 500HP and be the size of a Samurai.

Kubota package deals make the initial purchase attractive. They tend to hold their value as well. I agree with Chris that their hydro controls are a little more finite than others. Like others have said, the dealer thing is kind of a wash. Shit breaks when the dealer is closed and other parts houses are open, it’s just how it goes. I’ll occasionally run to Blue Ridge in Wilkes (1:15 each way) for parts if they’re open, the price is close and it’s gonna hold us up. Otherwise I go through online vendors. Hydros I head to Napa or oreillys. All of this makes brand name a moot point. Orange would save us a lot of time IF the dealer is open when something breaks.

At your rate of putting hours on it, I wouldn’t be so picky over color vs what you’re getting for the money.

Where we are, it’s all older Ford/Newholland country with a few Massey’s sprinkled in. Those are slowly giving way to Kubota these days.

Ok today I got some pics for comparison sake. My buddy has a 2013 model 55hp Mahindra and I have to say its not terrible but it does have some hokey shit too. I've got a 2015 mx5200 and rural king has a new rk 55, so all virtually the same tractor.

Rk55 to begin with has a whole lot of nice features... Telescopic lower links and solid adjustable solid lower link side stabilizers, spring cushioned top link, a fuckin lever at the rear of the tractor to raise.and lower the 3 pt hitch while hooking shit up, rear facing light and mirrors, 2 sets of remotes standard, an actual suspension seat, a loader joystick beside the seat instead of on the loader with 3rd function button already installed, cupholder/12v outlet and a vbelt tensioned by the alternator.

20200824_130344.jpg
20200824_130355.jpg
20200824_130517.jpg

Kubota was pretty fancy at the time of purchase with also telescopic lower links and side adjusters but Kubota wants an ungodly amount to add remotes and can only add 2 on this size tractor so I did it myself. There was no rear facing light or mirrors, the factory seat sucks, the loader valve on the loader sucks and the local dealership sucks so that's a wash. It does have a much more solid attachment point for the 3 pt system to the axle which is a place I've seen break on two other tractors recently and parts are no doubt more available than the other two brands but not near as much aftermarket as the BX series smaller kubotas. Also has a v belt with alternator tensioner, and if we're being real, between yanmar and Kubota they power just about every brand out there so they pretty good engines.

20200824_201037.jpg
20200824_200445_HDR.jpg
20200824_200341.jpg

Ok today I got some pics for comparison sake. My buddy has a 2013 model 55hp Mahindra and I have to say its not terrible but it does have some hokey shit too. I've got a 2015 mx5200 and rural king has a new rk 55, so all virtually the same tractor.

Rk55 to begin with has a whole lot of nice features... Telescopic lower links and solid adjustable solid lower link side stabilizers, spring cushioned top link, a fuckin lever at the rear of the tractor to raise.and lower the 3 pt hitch while hooking shit up, rear facing light and mirrors, 2 sets of remotes standard, an actual suspension seat, a loader joystick beside the seat instead of on the loader with 3rd function button already installed, cupholder/12v outlet and a vbelt tensioned by the alternator.

View attachment 324492 View attachment 324493 View attachment 324494

Yea all of those things you just listed, rear remotes, integrated loader joystick, factory 3rd function, extendable lower links, etc. made my 17k tractor become and almost 30k tractor.
I did notice that RK tractors do typically have more factory installed accessories than their Mahindra counterpart.

And finally the Mahindra. Keeping in mind it's 7 yrs old now but their new 55hp model doesn't look a ton different... It works every day with no real issues yet, but it lacks all the little stuff. No cupholder, only 1 remote, non adjustable side links, super cheesedick lower link axle mounts, loader valve on the loader, mediocre seat, and alternator tensioner. Years ago when there were less options I'd be into one but not these days with kioti, rk, Kubota, etc. Speaking of that last week I bush hogged on another friends few year old new Holland and I'd rather have the Mahindra. Anyways here's some pics

IMG_20200824_211801.jpg
IMG_20200824_211810.jpg

Yea all of those things you just listed, rear remotes, integrated loader joystick, factory 3rd function, extendable lower links, etc. made my 17k tractor become and almost 30k tractor.
I did notice that RK tractors do typically have more factory installed accessories than their Mahindra counterpart.

Mahindra 5555 and rk55 both shuttle shift are the same price at 26,900. That being said, Kubota isn't much more expensive.

Mahindra 5555 and rk55 both shuttle shift are the same price at 26,900. That being said, Kubota isn't much more expensive.

I dunno man. That’s a 55hp machine for 27k mine has the same features, cost the same and is only 24.5hp and much less tractor. I did price a grand L kubota only in the mid 40hp range and to get one with no cab and all the same options was 38k

I believe a MX is more affordable but again to get all the same options it’s pretty pricey. But... I personally think the kubota is much better built and probably worth the extra expense.

I dunno man. That’s a 55hp machine for 27k mine has the same features, cost the same and is only 24.5hp and much less tractor. I did price a grand L kubota only in the mid 40hp range and to get one with no cab and all the same options was 38k

I believe a MX is more affordable but again to get all the same options it’s pretty pricey. But... I personally think the kubota is much better built and probably worth the extra expense.

but you still havent gotten yours... and you could most likely go to Rural king today and pick one up out of their parking lot fully dressed ready to go.

but you still havent gotten yours... and you could most likely go to Rural king today and pick one up out of their parking lot fully dressed ready to go.

And that’s my point and Braxton kind of echoes it. The RK (and some others) come with useful standard equipment that are upgrades on Kubota, etc. and the dressed out versions of RK, etc seem to still be cheaper than the stripped down Kubota of similar size.

True but like I said earlier, my last tractor was a Mahindra/rk. It was total garbage, nothing but trouble.

The reason I don’t have my tractor yet is because the Georgia kubota plant has had COVID issues and in general supply is low on everything not just tractors. Literally every part or tool I’ve tried to buy in the last 4 months has been backordered or slow to ship. It’s not just kubota.

I would hope that someone wouldn’t make the mistake of jumping on a cheaper poorly built tractor just because they can’t wait a little while to get the good one. In general with the exception of some landscape companies most people buy a tractor and plan to use it long term.
My second tractor(Mahindra) was bought exactly like this. I was in a hurry, couldn’t be patient and wasn’t willing to spend a couple extra thousand dollars to get what I knew I really wanted and or needed. In turn I only kept the tractor 3 years, lost money on it and now I’m still ending up spending more to get what I want.

It’s just like the guys with a TJ on 33’s. They want 40’s and tons but ALWAYS do half tons and 37’s first. Only to still end up building tons for it down the road. I wish I had a nickel for every guy that’s come to me and done exactly this even after I’ve pleaded with them to go ahead and do the tons. I learned my lesson and I watch guys do it every day. I only offer this advice in hopes of saving someone else the trouble I went through.

True but like I said earlier, my last tractor was a Mahindra/rk. It was total garbage, nothing but trouble.

The reason I don’t have my tractor yet is because the Georgia kubota plant has had COVID issues and in general supply is low on everything not just tractors. Literally every part or tool I’ve tried to buy in the last 4 months has been backordered or slow to ship. It’s not just kubota.

I would hope that someone wouldn’t make the mistake of jumping on a cheaper poorly built tractor just because they can’t wait a little while to get the good one. In general with the exception of some landscape companies most people buy a tractor and plan to use it long term.
My second tractor(Mahindra) was bought exactly like this. I was in a hurry, couldn’t be patient and wasn’t willing to spend a couple extra thousand dollars to get what I knew I really wanted and or needed. In turn I only kept the tractor 3 years, lost money on it and now I’m still ending up spending more to get what I want.

It’s just like the guys with a TJ on 33’s. They want 40’s and tons but ALWAYS do half tons and 37’s first. Only to still end up building tons for it down the road. I wish I had a nickel for every guy that’s come to me and done exactly this even after I’ve pleaded with them to go ahead and do the tons. I learned my lesson and I watch guys do it every day. I only offer this advice in hopes of saving someone else the trouble I went through.

Lessons learned are never cheap or free. :lol:

Back