Trailer Build

I got some more decking on and a little more welding done.

Attachments

• Trailer Build 35.jpeg
    Trailer Build 35.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 359
As of right now I was just going to make them out of the 1/8" that I have. I was going to weld them on and make them strong enough to drive over. I guess just brace them enough to make them strong.

Any suggestions?

Mine are 1/4 and gusseted pretty good, and still bend some, so I would say stay away from the 1/8" stuff. You can't support them where they go over the tire. Both ends, and in the middle, are your only choice really to support a fender to drive over.
or
You could run a piece of flat on the outside, build supports up from it to the fender, same on the inside. Would look like an old car with fender skirts.

ok, looking again, was trying to figure out what is different between mine and yours. I built my fenders first. My transition is much longer than just over the tires, sloped more front and rear of the tires. Makes it easier to drive up them and over them.
So if you started your fender say 12 or 14" before your wheel area, and supported it at the edge, another support between the tires, another at the other wheel edge, and then at the end, I think it would be OK

Gotcha on the steady slope. Ive got some 1/4" so that is an option.

I saw a guy on the board who made some tube fenders that were nice. I was thinking about going that route.

not something I had thought of. Worth a try, might just look pretty slick! if not functional, nothing a torch and grinder can't fix

I think I may do some tube with the 1/8" in the the middle.

The semester is over so I will have to wait until Jan. to start on the fenders. At least I will have some time to think it over.

Tacoma747, is your 1/8" warping at all from driving over it?
I'll gusset the fender to the frame for sure.

Thanks

Take some small angle and go around the outside edge of the fender. Do the same on the inside edge and then run a cross support between the tires.

Got some bending done. Tacked just to give you an idea.

Attachments

• Trailer Build 36.jpeg
    Trailer Build 36.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 455
I want to make sure I have plenty of clearance. May be too much?

Attachments

• Trailer Build 37.jpeg
    Trailer Build 37.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 435
IMHO yes, a little too much. All depends on the tires you are gonna use. About 2" of clearance is enough. I have less than that. But like what I see otherwise.
In what we talked about earlier, using 1/4" stuff now would be more weight and overkill. 1/8 will be fine if you are going to run some supports across the tow pieces of tube, and gussets underneath to the frame.
Looking good

Yeah, I was thinking that it was a little much. I think there is about 8" of clearance. I will cut it down some next time im working on it. I am going to run 5 supports in between the two rails with 1/8" to skin it.

as mentioned, you can lower it. At the same time I would bring the tube to just the edge of the deck versus taking up another foot of deck on front and back. In other words, just barely outine the tires front to back. That way if you are loading pallets or something with a forklift on there, you have room to slide them on and off without catching the fender tubes.

Shannon

I thought that the fenders would benefit from being longer so when driving over them the incline wouldn't be as steep.

I don't know if I want to make them more inclined just on the chance that I could have to load something from the side.

???

I thought that the fenders would benefit from being longer so when driving over them the incline wouldn't be as steep.
I don't know if I want to make them more inclined just on the chance that I could have to load something from the side.
???

Two thoughts there. Mine are pretty steep and I have had issues. Once after a bud bog with a broke axle I couldn't climb the fenders and slid off the trailer. But on the other hand if I haul a short vehicle like a jeep I can't get it forward enough to balance out and tow good. My solution was to weld rebar to the fender so I would have more traction.

You need to go much lower and bring take out about a foot in the middle of that tube. I doubt you will have an angle problem since your deck sits pretty high compared to your tires.

Good point on the traction. I have diamond plate and it does get slick. What about other alternatives? Epoxy paint with sand it it? or tacking expanded metal to the fender, I have that on my sliders to help getting in and out without slipping

What if I used some angle on the slants and put the diamond plate in between?

Attachments

• Trailer Plans 5.JPG
    Trailer Plans 5.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 602
I simply welded rebar to it like your angle pic and that was more than adequate. With your much smaller fenders I don't think you will need it. Also I don't think epoxy with sand would help.

Mix the sand in with that paint an roll it on? Stupid question. Can it be sprayed on?

I am going to try to get the Auto body guys at my school to do it for free. I think they are going to spray it.

Back