Trailer improvements

My trailer doesn’t have a rub rail. I’ll have to add more stake pockets and add the outer rail. Neither is a problem, but just more work than burning d-rings right onto the top of the main channel.

What are yall using d rings for that a rub rail won't accomplish.
Hook types maybe. I got straps and ends of all variety but a D-ring will most definitely allow angular points of attachment with little binding. I have flat hooks commonly used on flat decks for rub rails but I will select my straps with click in safety hooks for a d-ring hands down every time if I can. The other problem with rails spread out between stake pockets is pulling them in and bending them, I like a good "High note" when I puck mine to whisper: :That ain't going no where!"
Last issue I have with rub rail is the over and under attachment with a flat hook that allows me to walk around and nothing come loose wears on the strap across the hard metal edge.

NTK inserts are variable being place at multiple stake positions is awesome for all sorts of configurations.

EDIT: my trailer has all of the above so I'm and equal opportunity offender. :p

Last edited:

Maybe depends on type of straps? Some of the Mac’s straps have snap hooks at the ends to clip into a D ring. I do find it frustrating using those with a rub rail but use of an axle strap takes care of that. Or you could use the D ring that slides into the stake pocket.

That’s about the only thing I could think of where stale pockets would not be as convenient.

Now, if you are trying to slide the strap and hook inside the stake pocket, then yeah, it’s always going to be frustrating because they don’t fit. Installing a rub rail fixes this.

When towing the XJ we use Barnes axle tabs on the jeep and welded to the trailer, Makes strapping it down a breeze.
I too am an equal opportunity offender, Usually use the rub rails as a last resort when a stake pocket D-Ring is not in the best location.

They have flat ones too that we welded to the trailer.

Link doesn't work but every flatbed and step deck 5th wheel trailer ever built that uses sliding strap winches use the rub rail for securement and haul 10x the weight anyone here will be.
And I get what everyone is saying but if you're talking about proper equipment securement and still using straps then you already wrong anyway.
I know everyone does it there way and I used to think d rings were cool until I learned how to haul heavy shit where no one uses d rings and the joy of not having to listen to them bounce around all day down the road solidifies it.

If anything, if I were going to be hauling only the same rig always, I'd weld 4 banjo eyes to the jeeps axles then 4 more in the right spots on the trailer, cut down 4 straps perfect length and be done. No need for 14 of the things

Thanks to all. I’m enjoying the banter and debate.

I’m looking for max flexibility on my trailer. I’ll be moving low-slung performance cars to lifted broncos to lumber to downed trees. I’m committed to adding more stake pockets and a rub rail. That provides lots of side to side options.

I may also add the front and rear straight-pull welded d-rings. That makes everyone happy and, most importantly, give me the best of all available options!

Thanks again to all!

Have you considered a flip up winch? All the cool guys have em.

FF92762C-FA3A-4055-8504-2A359BABDCE9.jpeg
31461971-EE83-490C-8CED-CB14A75025E3.jpeg

I had a receiver built into my stop bar. Quick disconnects for the winch, so the winch is out of the elements and could double as a rear winch without the trailer if needed.

If you're using axle straps, they get into the tires if you go out to the stake pockets. Depends on axle, IFS, deck width, etc. Our big trailer has D rings recessed in the deck midway down for similar reasons.

If you're using axle straps, they get into the tires if you go out to the stake pockets. Depends on axle, IFS, deck width, etc. Our big trailer has D rings recessed in the deck midway down for similar reasons.
I think in deck D-rings are probably a lot more useful for auto transport than out on the edges. To @braxton357's point, rub rail is the perfect spot for a 3/8" chain or binder, which is what I use for most things I haul. And also for wide hook ratchet straps to hold down packaged/flat/square cargo.

No and I’m not sure I want to even see one…. Then I’ll have to have one…. Got any pics??

😈
@jeepinmatt has one that is very simple and pretty darn slick. Much less complicated than the one in the posted video.
Here's where I posted some pics:
Doesn't have to be expensive. You can build your own. Just weld some tube to a winch plate and trailer for the pivot, and put an old axleshaft through it for the pivot pin. That's basically what I did.
View attachment 378784
View attachment 378785
View attachment 378786
Only thing I would do different is use a winch without an integrated solenoid pack. It tends to catch water, and also hangs down and cuts into my storage space. My plan was to build a box over all of it, but like most plans...

My trailer came with stake pockets, I added weld-on D-rings out at the corners for hauling my Nissan with snap hook straps, then bought stake pocket D-ring inserts for when I need them in different locations. Remember all this extra stuff permanently installed on the trailer adds weight. I leave my winch battery at homes unless I think I will need it for something.

Step one complete - added 3 heavy coats of ATF to the top surface of the deck. I started but bailed on coating the underside. I didn’t feel like taking an ATF shower today.

Before.

048DDFCC-3CE7-48F2-B7FB-2584D7DA2D1B.jpeg

After. It’ll mellow and fade as it absorbs and dries.

55B2E479-8A2A-4E76-B8F6-2342A7F0EFDF.jpeg

I’m adding the roll stop, stake pockets, chain guides and run rail this weekend. I’m going to add a couple d-rings and also fabricate some of those stale pocket d-ring things too.

When you are burning all that steel in make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby. Just thinking about all that ATF on the wood.:kaioken: would hate to see a new trailer go up in flames.

When you are burning all that steel in make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby. Just thinking about all that ATF on the wood.:kaioken: would hate to see a new trailer go up in flames.
That was my first thought. Looks great, but id have waited to soak the trailer in flammable liquid until I was done making sparks.

Back