Trailer Ramps - Ideas

orange150

I need to make some ramps for my deck over.
The hight of the deck is somewhere in the 3' range so I am thinking 10' should be plenty long (about a 17* incline... right?).
I am thinking of using 2 pieces of 10' 4x4 box tubing per ramp, not sure of wall thickness, with a ramp width of around 16". Expanded metal for the "deck". Probably some angle iron to mate the two pieces of tubing.
Something like this:
awww.discountramps.com_hdImages_5000_flat_plate_ramp.jpg

Is that overkill? Any better/simpler ideas?

If you're using steel, 4x4 tubing is going to make them very HEAVY. My dad's Hudson tri-axle equipment trailer doesn't have ramps built that heavy duty.

What are going to be loading using these ramps?

Ok. I looked it up and your tractor weighs about 4,000.

Are you planning on hinging them? Do you have any pics of the rear of the trailer?

I would stay away from the expanded metal. It will sag in between the supports. For heavy duty ramps I like the angle iron in between supports with the corner of the angle turned up like in the pics in the link below. Gives you something for the tires to grab onto and also keeps trash from getting caught up on them.

I think 10 feet is a little long. If you go that long, and the wheelbase of whatever you're loading is less than 10 ft (your JD has a 74.4 inch wheel base), then the entire weight of the vehicle will be on the ramps.

http://www.hudsontrailers.com/docs/details/htr9t.php

htr9t_3small.jpg

I'm guessing he's saying 10 ft because his deck over doesn't have a dove? (if it did it probably have ramps)

Id use 1/4" or better angle with angle cross bars every 12"-16" with a heavy gauge expanded metal to keep weight down, the heavier the gauge the longer the spacing between the cross bars. Id weld some angle on the end for them too hook into like you said, but all the way across for adjustable width. Make sure to gusset the bottom side.

As for storage either slide in between the frame rails on top of each other and over the axle or on each side of the trailer underneath in between the for most axle and the coupler.

If you want fold up at 10ft, i'd make 2 5 foot sections that fold up first.

Yeah I'm sure it doesn't have a dove tail if it's 3 feet off the ground.

I know it would make it a pain to store, but you might want to look at putting a foot on the ramp in the center if you have to make them 10 feet long.

I welded angle iron on the bottom of the trailer sticking up. Then on the top of the ramps sticking down. It's a positive hook that can't slide off.

If you want fold up at 10ft, i'd make 2 5 foot sections that fold up first.

I'm too worried about strength to make them fold.

If I feel they need a foot I will just make one that can fold up in the center for easier storage.

Will making the whole thing from 1/4" angle be strong enough?

does anyone have an idea where to get aluminum car ramps around raleigh area?

I need them to hold 5000lbs, but only about 2500lb per axle.

thanks

hey man, i would go with some maybe 6 foot ramps for what you are trying to do, and i'd build them out of some 4 inch or 3 inch c-channel, that will hold up all day long. to put them together id run some angle (2 inch on the 3 in channel, 2.5 in on the 4 in) inside the rails as it will make them super strong and very easy to store. also 6 foot should give you a good departure angle for most anything besides some cars. the main reason for 6 foot instead of 10 is because you would rather only have 1 axle on the ramps at the time instead of trying to get the ramps to hold the whole weight. ive loaded a 15000 ld tractor with these ramps and never had a problem. if you would like pm me and we can get together and ill take a closer look at what you've got. im from the fuquay area. and BRUISER, i dont know if they would have them or not but give proline trailers a call or go to their website, southag.com. i think the alum. ramps would cost you a pretty penny to have them made. also might try to look for some of the ramps they use on car haulers for 18 wheelers. some of them are alum.

Heavy duty ramp

Does anyone have a 8' ramp for their trailer? If so what kind of steel is it made out of and dimensions. I need a 8' ramp to put a large truck on my trailer. It probably weight close to 7000# and I am having trouble designing a steel ramp that is strong enough an light enough to move around.

Back