Un-Brodozing an 05 TJ

So too poor/cheap to do it right is the reason?

I mean thats what I always thought.

Who says having a 5th tire is the right way?? There are alot of vehicles now that do not have a spare tire, and most of them are the more expensive ones. Also, how many folks do you see carry a spare tire on the trail these days?

Maybe I'm odd, but the last rime I "needed" a spare tire in a roadside break down was about 2003. Keep up the maintenance on you stuff, and do regular checks. Also avoid the potholes when you can.

264AA59D-8017-4DD4-A108-6EB8DB9D0FCD.jpeg

Guess I’m old school cause I still carry a spare on the TJ. The swing away tire carrier is from Big Daddy’s Off-road, remember him from way back?

View attachment 378734

Guess I’m old school cause I still carry a spare on the TJ. The swing away tire carrier is from Big Daddy’s Off-road, remember him from way back?

This whole build is really based around what I wanted at 16 combined with what I know now. BDOR bumpers were the hot shit back then for those of us around Charlotte.

This whole build is really based around what I wanted at 16 combined with what I know now.
Honestly this is probably a good way to live life in general 👍

This whole build is really based around what I wanted at 16 combined with what I know now. BDOR bumpers were the hot shit back then for those of us around Charlotte.
Hell yea.
Every big idea gets a finger wagged in my face. Wants one tons and 40s….shut up and buy chromos, arbs, and 35”s

A few months back I stumbled across an 05 TJ that the owner was tired of working on. We had talked about selling the CJ5 when it’s done for something with better road manners and to wheel until I finish the CYJ. And as much as my wife loves that old Jeep and I do too, she isn’t a huge fan of driving a 3spd and no power steering.

The PO had chased the 42RLE issues of it sticking in 2nd gear and going into limp mode and honestly I think he got hosed by whomever worked on it for him. They swapped in a new transmission instead of addressing the known ECU issues. When it came back it had a slight tick too. Add to that the steering was wore slap out. It had a drop pitman arm on it that made things mildly terrifying above 60.

We showed up, agreed on a price that I think gave him sellers remorse and took them to dinner to ease the pain.

View attachment 378370

Overall the bones were there
05 4.0/42RLE
3.5” rough country springs
Adjustable front lower control arms
Fox Shocks
Tcase drop
4.56 gears
35’s on 20’s
Amazon bumpers and LED’s
Superwinch 9500

First thing to go were the heavy 20’s in favor of some 35x12.50 Yokohama MT’s on 15x8 soft 8’s.
View attachment 378369

During the wheel/tire swap some of the studs were wrecked from the deep offset aluminum wheels and too many uggaduggas. About 5 in total between the 4 wheels.
View attachment 378366
View attachment 378367

It drove a little better after that but there was still a lot of play so thanks to @tobaccoroad4wd for ordering me up a Currie Currectlync kit to go with the OEM pitman arm I had already grabbed from the parts store.

Old and busted
View attachment 378365

Fresh
View attachment 378368

After an alignment and then driving about 1000 miles the little tick I had ignored thinking it was a little piston slap on #6 had turned into a knock one night on the way back from an ice cream run to Mayberry. The stethoscope pointed me toward the trans. Sweet, no piston slap. Shit. Transmission. Dreading dropping the trans, @jodytreadway suggested checking the torque converter bolts which can be done through the inspection cover. Sure enough. All of them were at least a thread loose or more and not a drop of loctite in sight. 45 min later, no noise and the little vibration at idle was gone.

With things running properly now, focus was on the fun stuff we bought it for. Wheelin and weekend cruising. We loaded it up with our camping gear and went overlanding to FloydFest for 3 days to see some awesome music including Turnpike Troubadours
View attachment 378374
View attachment 378372View attachment 378375
View attachment 378376

Leaving FloydFest in the inevitable downpour of a music festival, 4wd was used and low range wouldn’t engage. Not shocking given the tcase drop and the wonderful homemade linkage it was sporting.
View attachment 378379

That crap got thrown in the trash and a Savvy cable shifter went in.
View attachment 378378
View attachment 378377

Next was addressing the miles of wire and switches that didn’t work for the Amazon LED’s. I ripped the pods and small bar off the bumper and left the big windshield bar simply because it’s there and the brackets had kind rubbed the windshield frame a good bit underneath. That got wired back into a relay pod and mounted on the console with room for more stuff should I add it later on.
View attachment 378373

Removed the Chinese rear bumper in favor of the Motobilt unit that was originally on the CJ5 and cleaned up where the tire carrier was.
View attachment 378380

That’s how it sits now heading into this weekend’s wrench fest.
Spartan locker and chromos for the Dana 30 and some Core control arms since the bushings in the stock arms are pretty worked.
You were at Floydfest?? That rain got cold quick. Had to run back to the VW quick lol
1660704177222.png
1660704291376.jpeg

Next round of parts started showing up.
44D0B70E-9C56-4079-8E3D-4D8C7C178423.jpeg

When I bought AdamK’s driveline for the CJ5 it had the 231 with an SYE. Currently there is a Tcase drop in place. That will come out and be replaced with a Barnes belly pan and the case swapped out at the same time. The intention is to get the belly pan over to the local powdercoater if he has a batch of black parts running next week. If not it will just get Kryloncoated.

The 8.8 is currently at RevLimitFab getting fresh gears, a grizzly locker and artec truss. I’ll get it back, refresh the brakes and hopefully swap everything in over Labor Day weekend.

My .02 is to get a quart of black tractor paint and paint it nice and thick. Doesn’t hurt the wallet so much fixing the inevitable scratches with a .99 cent paint brush and the leftovers of paint.
X2 on the tractor paint. Make sure you apply it this thick
82C2D538-612F-4B6C-A4CF-DBB66D5E6FCD.jpeg

Brakes rebuilt and plumbed last night/this morning. I ordered the ECGS kit for the artec truss which was pretty spot on. I tucked the hard lines as close to the tube as possible and routed it through the trac bar bracket. Some 1/4-20 holes drilled and tapped into the truss and housing for all the clamps worked good.
1013E9EF-17F3-4055-A652-22CD19978179.jpeg

The 35 came out fairly easy.
E34A9229-D05A-4FD8-B794-B81F76BC24E6.jpeg

91A9058B-179D-47ED-82FE-23EB8F231099.jpeg

Did the short arm shuffle with some ratchet straps to get everything lined up and bolted back in.
F0D5C8EC-3D55-41E7-ABAA-B3D87F9C3B3D.jpeg

I still have to finish running the new e brake cables and bleed everything but the heavy lifting is done.

Everything is in, bled and torqued. Just need to send a flange to Oliver’s to be balanced with the driveshaft this week. Wrapped it all up yesterday with a Barnes steering box skid.

The 231 will be coming back out this winter. It’s a bit drippy so I’ll throw some new bearings and seals in it while it’s apart.

781AA34F-2706-407C-ACFD-DFAC1438B60C.jpeg
51C73B30-308B-4CD5-8886-766A3A47885F.jpeg
41A8302C-5DC8-420E-9B8F-F97CBA5260C0.jpeg

Jeep Liberty 231 fits yj tj Xj and most have never been shifted into 4lo they’re cheaper to get at a jy than a seal and bearing kit. The range selector and yokes are the only parts you reuse from the jeep

Jeep Liberty 231 fits yj tj Xj and most have never been shifted into 4lo they’re cheaper to get at a jy than a seal and bearing kit. The range selector and yokes are the only parts you reuse from the jeep

I actually have a Liberty 231 in my shop as well as the 231 that came out of this one. By the time I swap the SYE over I’ll have it apart enough to reseal and put bearings in any of them. I’ll rebuild one and save the others for parts.

Back