UTVs/FUVs?

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
The land (30 acres) at the new place is dictating a UTV/FUV ("farm utility vehicle")...

Don't need some flashy, "fast", high $$$$ rig...

What we do want & need is:
  • USED...
  • Rugged and can be repaired (versus swapping entire assemblies for a $5 part that isn't available)
  • Hi/Low range
  • Selectable 2WD/4WD... don't want to destroy the grass around the house, BUT will absolutely be required for some parts of the property
  • "Automagic"... 2 legs = 2 pedals
  • Dump bed... though it appears that most are plastic sided/steel lined(?) and mostly manual operation
  • 400cc-500cc should be fine, but prefer FI over carbs, but don't know when that became the norm (like '88 for cars/trucks)
  • 2 seater... no need for longer/larger 4 seater
  • Roof/cover minimum...
Not really impressed with the latest round of chiwaneese junk, available everywhere (sLowes/HomeDepot/TSC/etc for $8k). While they seem to be decently appointed (2/4WD, some with lockers, winch), my perception is that any parts will be a nightmare due to 50 different vendors?
Am I wrong?

I'm sure things like a winch, lights, headache rack (to hold tools), and possible hydraulic bed dumper can be done as/if needed later...

I like the Kawasaki Mules, JD Gators, & Kubota RTVs, but think the later 2 are gonna draw premium $$$ due to "color"?

Please educate me on the varieties and who else makes a decent UTV with the above specs?

Last edited:
Ive been researching the same thing after my recent land buy.
Basically same exact criteria.

Used Gators are actually cheap, but if ANYTHING breaks you get raped because John Deere.

Ive personally drove and tested a Gator, a Ranger a Bobcat and a Honda Pioneer.
If you you drive a pioneer one time nothing else will compare.
Then it becomes the age old issue of:
Used 500cc run about $7k.
Hell for $9,500 I can get a NEW 700.
Well if I am getting a new one I really should spring for the 1000, and I really love their multi function transmission (full power delivery with zero wheel spin to protect turf) that pus me in a 1000 premium. Shit I dont want a $17k UTV. How did this get out of hand.

But the pioneer uses driveh shafts, so no belt hell. and its a honda ATV so it will last.
Its also 100% made in SC if that matters to you.

But if you can settle for a 500CC buy this:
NEW 2017 HONDA PIONEER 500 4x4 BLOWOUT SALE! NO HIDDEN FEES!

I have also been on this awhile.....to many wants and to little money. Having driven the Kubota, Mule, New Holland, and A Chinese Walmart vehicle (FIL) I think they all compare. The Chinese version was very comparable across the board. It just has the part scare factor. The FIL has driven the wheels off this thing, on and off highway doin fetching wood, fence property patrol, yard stuff ect. All of them in this category except the Mule are about the same speed and feel like an over built heavy golf cart. The Kubota and New Holland being the absolute nearest identical platform. Slow, Sluggish, and zero entertainment come to mind. The Chinese Walmart rig was more fun. The Mule seems to be the most supple, multi use plat form with out trying to be a fun machine. I have personal built fire platforms on Kubota, John Deere utility not UTV, and Mule Platforms. Again the first two where utility boring, sluggish, and over rated. The Mule seemed to be a good balance.

Now for them Honda machines....I really wanna test one. I rode red and raced red. For the experiences I have had with them I hope they kept the bullet proof part of them I like and not the newer fourstroke racing time bombs they replaced the XR's with.....I always loved the suspension and frame advancements but hated the motors on the bikes....quads seemed to retain some reliability and I haven't shopped Honda in a few years... @Ron how have the newest stuff held up long term? Like old reliable Honda used to be?

I’ll throw my .02. I had a gator in Afghanistan with a small yanmar 3 cyl Diesel that was a beast. We overloaded it. Ran it hard through snow, mud, and dirt and had minimal support (filters and fluids) and it wouldn’t die. Had a cab, winch, hyd. dump. I rigged it up to hold a mortar tube and rounds and a couple radios so we would load it on the helicopter and take it out on missions with us as a run around to haul supplies and in the need, casualties. Never had to do the latter thank god but I will say we got our use out it and then some!! I think we put a few years worth of ass bearings on it in the matter of 6 months. They hold a special place in my heart.

Used 500cc run about $7k.
Hell for $9,500 I can get a NEW 700.
Well if I am getting a new one I really should spring for the 1000, and I really love their multi function transmission (full power delivery with zero wheel spin to protect turf) that pus me in a 1000 premium. Shit I dont want a $17k UTV. How did this get out of hand.
This.

Sounds good, but no dump bed, just a rear rack. For me a dump bed is a must have.

I need the same vehicle as @Caver Dave for the same reasons. I'm probably gonna buy a Polaris Ranger for about $5k when I decide to pull the trigger. I want to be able to beat it and not worry about scratches/dings/resale value. I want a bench seat so the kiddo can ride with the wife and I. It also has the highest payload and towing ratings of the ones I feel like affording. Only downside is that it's a Polaris. The other comparable would be a Yamaha Rhino 660/700, but no bench seat, much less payload and towing capacity.
2004 Polaris 500 Ranger 4x4
Ranger 700 - 4x4
Polaris Ranger 700 4x4
Or if you're a real badass, get the 6x6 for even cheaper:
2002 Polaris 500 Ranger 6x6

heavy hauling or towing with a belt drive isnt my idea of fun
Sounds good, but no dump bed, just a rear rack. For me a dump bed is a must have.

Any load heavy enough to need to be dumped probably doesnt need to be pulled by a belt, that's my position.
:D

My dad has an older ranger 500 somewhere around 2002. It isn't FI but should fill your other wants. He is happy with it and hasn't had any problems in the few years he has had it. Not fancy but also less to tear up. I just picked up a used can-am commander 800xt. It's great but about twice the money with more to tear up, and smaller bed.

I know this has somewhat been covered in the mini-excavator thread, but...

Whats the general consensus on hours vs. miles? I realize that if it was left running/idling every day, the hours will be up, but is that a bad thing?
Also, since my gas mill knowledge is *WAY* better than my diesel, what's the questionable zone for hours on them?

In this application, what's the pull/allure for diesel over gas?

Many points have already been hit, but IMHO for parts availability and product support. A Ranger 570 or 900XP would still be my go to. The new 570 has turf mode which is sweet. I am not sure what year they started doing it though. Use low range and the belts seem to hold up fine. Its trying to do stuff in high range that seems to smoke them. My buddy just got his 570 crew with the roof OTD for 10700 from Crossroads in Albemarle.

If you buy new, pro tip: an EPS polaris model is around $1200 more but the kit to install it after the fact on a non EPS model from SuperATV and similar sites is only $599.

I have a 2016 Polaris Ranger 570 midsize with EPS. I am very happy with it. Plenty of power, easy to steer, bed is easy to dump, rides really smooth. I have a small engine mechanic buddy that works at a dealer where they sell the cheaper UTV's, he said avoid those things at all cost. My cousin has a 2002 Mule 3010 that he bought new, if it blew up today he has gotten his money out of that thing 10X. Very tough vehicles, but they are pretty much geared to more work and less play. Whatever you get, I would spend the extra cash and get EPS, worth every penny if you ask me.

Any load heavy enough to need to be dumped probably doesnt need to be pulled by a belt, that's my position.
:D
Tell that to your waistband :p

I have not driven the Pioneer but my experience with Honda machines has been great, and I would expect nothing but reliability out of the Pioneer. With that said, Polaris seems to have the market cornered, making aftermarket parts easier to get. They also seem to have the best machines if you want to trail ride with it some too.

With the price of UTVs these days, I would look at getting a 4wd tractor or vehicle. Something like a Samurai, sidekick/tracker, minitruck. Any of those could have a dump bed with a little fab work. They would also have much beefier parts and comforts without being much heavier or bigger than a UTV.

get-attachment.asp

Unless you're looking to go fast, just buy a Jeep. It costs less than the UTV, is the same size, and you can drive it to the store if you put tags on it.

Find a diesel mule and thank me later... used one at BMS and thunder valley for years, had em up all the trails at end of drag strip, up to mud to steering wheel flipped one backwards on lid they are awesome!! take gov off and get 5 point harness lol full face helmet also

Unless you're looking to go fast, just buy a Jeep. It costs less than the UTV, is the same size, and you can drive it to the store if you put tags on it.
This is what a friend of mine did. Bought a trashed xj and I helped him get it running. Only thing it lacks is a dump bed. We are trying to make one to roll out and dump, but havent figured it out yet.

I already have Jeep that will be fine on 90% of the property. The issue is the remaining 10% of the property, around the house & ponds, is where most of the work is needed. It will absolutely destroy the turf and turn beauty into a giant mudhole! Not a fan of the "URE look" in the front yard...

Here ya go Dave, I know this guy, maybe one of these would work for you
Japanese Mini Trucks

This is what a friend of mine did. Bought a trashed xj and I helped him get it running. Only thing it lacks is a dump bed. We are trying to make one to roll out and dump, but havent figured it out yet.

The drawback of a vehicle vs. a UTV... they really ARE bigger (wider/longer), heavier (x2 in some cases), and/or the COG isn't conducive for some of the trails/approaches

With the price of UTVs these days, I would look at getting a 4wd tractor or vehicle. Something like a Samurai, sidekick/tracker, minitruck. Any of those could have a dump bed with a little fab work. They would also have much beefier parts and comforts without being much heavier or bigger than a UTV.

^^Because I like the accompanying pic, this might be an option, though the need is now and may be a year or 2 before I'm ready to fab here...

The drawback of a vehicle vs. a UTV... they really ARE bigger (wider/longer), heavier (x2 in some cases), and/or the COG isn't conducive for some of the trails/approache

A Jeep has damn near the same track width and wheelbase as a RZR. The four seater is bigger. And I only paid like $3200 for the 4 cyl TJ.

I already have Jeep that will be fine on 90% of the property. The issue is the remaining 10% of the property, around the house & ponds, is where most of the work is needed. It will absolutely destroy the turf and turn beauty into a giant mudhole! Not a fan of the "URE look" in the front yard...

The drawback of a vehicle vs. a UTV... they really ARE bigger (wider/longer), heavier (x2 in some cases), and/or the COG isn't conducive for some of the trails/approaches

^^Because I like the accompanying pic, this might be an option, though the need is now and may be a year or 2 before I'm ready to fab here...

If you look at the size of the new UTVs, they are not any smaller than a zuk for sure. Even a 90s jeep.

Also, dont put TSLs and lockers in it :eek:. I bet that a 4cyl auto pickup with ATs or MTs would do just fine and not tear up the yard anymore than a UTV. My honda atv with decent aggressive tires will tear up the grass if its slightly wet and its 1/3 of the weight of a UTV.

Something like this guy: 92 4x4 Ranger. Build a wood flat/dump bed for it for the time being, until you can fab something better. If it had A/C, you could convert that for OBA (which a UTV wouldnt have). Could possibly even put on OBW on it.

Although its a cost effective approach and yes potentially stronger you guys comparing sidekicks and Jeeps to a UTV are smokin crack.....

Look at the op original post, the models listed are not the over grown credit card purchase buggies. The models listed if put beside a modern Club Car Golf cart are comparable. If 4wd drive and payload wasn't an issue I would have suggested a gasser version of the same. And I beg to differ that 800-1200 pounds in any wet surface on any compound is hugely different then 2000-4000k.
sami 2000k avg
sidekick 2300, 2900 avg
TJ 3200, 3800 avg

honda pioneer 1,025 102 long and only 50 wide

my dream.
Carry all club car diesel 4wd with a quick attach front and dump bed.....beyond the price most likely but still smaller and lighter. Above all else useful.

DIESEL
Overall Length: 121 in. (307 cm)

Overal Width::
58.5 in. (148.5 cm)

Overall Height: 82.3 in. (209 cm)

Wheelbase:
81.5 in (207 cm)

Ground Clearance: 7.3 in (18.5 cm)

Vehicle Weight: 1,710 lbs (776 kg)

Cargo Box (LxWxH): 48.0 x 49.8 x 10.9 in (122 x 128 x 28 cm)

Cargo Box Payload: 800 lbs (363 kg)

Total Payload: 1,200 lbs (544 kg))

Towing Capacity: 2,000 lbs (907.2 kg)

Retriever%201000%20Red_1.jpg

everybody is doin it! Seriously though I cant afford any of them....and a cheap used Sidekick would be great to bomb around the property and besides the splitting hairs size argument would do everything with some back yard hacking. But like women inches and pounds count for both parties. I can live with either for a good amount cheaper investment.

A Jeep has damn near the same track width and wheelbase as a RZR.
RZR is a pretty broad spectrum. Some are under 50"...

Cargo Bed Dimensions (LxWxH) 41.1 x 35.4 x 9.6" / 8.08 cu ft
Cargo Bed Capacity 400 lb
Load Capacity 926 lb
Towing Capacity 1,100 lb
Lighting (2) 35w headlights, and tail/brake light
Overall Length 108.5"
Overall Width 52"
Overall Height 73.8"
Curb Weight 1,056 lb
Wheelbase 70.1"

2015 610 Kawi mule specs....gasser.

Back